Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Question Trouble breaking down MkIII

    I recently purchased a MkIII Hunter and am having trouble breaking it down for cleaning. I've read the manual and watched the Ruger online video but cannot separate the receiver from the grip frame. I've tapped it with a hard rubber mallet but have had no success. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I might be doing wrong? The other parts have disassembled as expected.

    Todd

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Blkhawk73's Avatar
    Blkhawk73 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    218
    New? It's simply tight. A solid whack should set it loose. Not really a neccessity IMO. A simple bore cleaning and the bolt face is about all I do to mine. Maybe if a LOT of use it might get taken down once a year. Otherwise...

  4. #3
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Thanks

    Thanks for the feedback. I thought that but didn't want to damage it. I'll give it a good whack.

    Todd

  5. #4
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Blkhawk73 View Post
    New? It's simply tight. A solid whack should set it loose. Not really a neccessity IMO. A simple bore cleaning and the bolt face is about all I do to mine. Maybe if a LOT of use it might get taken down once a year. Otherwise...
    A few harder whacks did the job. Thanks.

  6. #5
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    rubber mallet = good

    woodworking screwdrivers = bad

    dremel tool = worse

  7. #6
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
    rubber mallet = good

    woodworking screwdrivers = bad

    dremel tool = worse
    I could see someone's frustration rising to the point of using "stronger" tools. Cooler heads prevailed here and I stuck with the rubber mallet.

  8. #7
    Pistolero's Avatar
    Pistolero is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    297
    This post appears premature... the real post should read "Trouble reassembling MKIII!" Yeah, the receiver/frame fit will likely remain tight enough to warrant a whack throughout its lifespan. I purchased a brass hammer from the auto parts store and dedicated it to MKIII service. Works extremely well -more initial force than rubber or a deadblow hammer.

    So, have you gotten it back together yet?!

  9. #8
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Trouble breaking down MkIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
    This post appears premature... the real post should read "Trouble reassembling MKIII!" Yeah, the receiver/frame fit will likely remain tight enough to warrant a whack throughout its lifespan. I purchased a brass hammer from the auto parts store and dedicated it to MKIII service. Works extremely well -more initial force than rubber or a deadblow hammer.

    So, have you gotten it back together yet?!
    Yes, I did. I had to stop and walk away a couple of times, though. Lack of sleep the night before due to an 8 year old's (no)sleep-over made me very short on patience. The manual makes much more sense once you disassemble/assemble once.

    Todd

  10. #9
    rosie22lr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    25
    Mention is made of videos looked at. You MUST look at You Tube Moe MarkIII-Mean Miguel video. Perfect look at placement of gun so that hammer and hammer strut are perfectly placed when reassembly.

  11. #10
    tcg
    tcg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    MkIII assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by rosie22lr View Post
    Mention is made of videos looked at. You MUST look at You Tube Moe MarkIII-Mean Miguel video. Perfect look at placement of gun so that hammer and hammer strut are perfectly placed when reassembly.
    Thanks for the tip on the video. The "dingleberry", as meanmiguel puts it, is what was causing most of my frustration. Once I discovered it was in the wrong position it went like clockwork.

  12. #11
    Bishop746's Avatar
    Bishop746 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    96

    Wink

    When removing the slide from the frame make sure you have ejected the magazine. I only mention this because Im trying to be helpfull because I have NEVER made such a stupid mistake. Only passing this along, I would never admit to doing such foolishness. Not me, No sir.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

breaking down the mkiii

,

probelms breaking down a ruger mkiii

,

reassembling a ruger mkiii

,

ruger mkiii break down took

,

ruger mkiii break down tool

,

ruger mkiii handgun charleston sc

,

trouble reassembling ruger mkiii

Click on a term to search for related topics.