Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: LCP Recall

  1. #21
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws View Post
    Didn't Kel-Tec recently redo the hammer block or something on your beloved P3AT's? So what's the difference?
    Mike beat me again...

    Safety Recall on an unsafe design = Design improvement/fix on a safe gun???

    Ahhhh, NO.

  2. Ads
  3. #22
    oak1971's Avatar
    oak1971 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    354
    Well, my 70 year old mom got bit by the recall. She just picked hers up Tuesday. I was dissapointed in it form the start. I thought the quality was poor and the trigger garbage. When I heard about the recall, (thanks all) it went back to my trusted gun shop. Jalensky's gave her a full refund, even though it had been fired. They then took the rest off the shelf to send back. They sold her a Sig 232 for 100 bucks more. It is 1000% a better gun.

  4. #23
    Teuthis is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    442
    The LCP is a good shooter. It's reliable and easy to conceal. If you have one, don't get too excited. Just contact Ruger and when they're ready they'll send for it and you can have it reconfigured. Big deal.

  5. #24
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    The LCP is a good shooter. It's reliable and easy to conceal. If you have one, don't get too excited. Just contact Ruger and when they're ready they'll send for it and you can have it reconfigured. Big deal.
    And until they are ready for your gun, hope you don't drop it.

  6. #25
    Lucky13's Avatar
    Lucky13 is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    Well, my 70 year old mom got bit by the recall. She just picked hers up Tuesday. I was dissapointed in it form the start. I thought the quality was poor and the trigger garbage. When I heard about the recall, (thanks all) it went back to my trusted gun shop. Jalensky's gave her a full refund, even though it had been fired. They then took the rest off the shelf to send back. They sold her a Sig 232 for 100 bucks more. It is 1000% a better gun.
    Absolutely! I love my 232. When the LCP first came out, I spotted one in a gun shop that caters to LEOs (only way you can get one in California). I thought the size was great, but, I've never owned a Ruger and didn't know too much about them. Hope they get the problem fixed and that no one ends up getting hurt.
    Man's got to know his limitations.

    Sig Sauer P232 Stainless Steel .380ACP
    Kimber 1911 Pro CDP II

  7. #26
    oak1971's Avatar
    oak1971 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
    Absolutely! I love my 232. When the LCP first came out, I spotted one in a gun shop that caters to LEOs (only way you can get one in California). I thought the size was great, but, I've never owned a Ruger and didn't know too much about them. Hope they get the problem fixed and that no one ends up getting hurt.
    I think maybe they rushed the LCP to market. Still, a dropped pistol test can't be that hard to do.

  8. #27
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,416
    I have an LCP that has to go back.

    I'm still carrying it every day, and I still shoot it regularly. I just don't drop it. I also don't shoot lead bullets in it, anymore, 'cause it doesn't like them. Other than that, it's fine. I don't consider this any more of a disaster than those KelTec owners did, who found out their particular guns needed a 'fluff and buff,' right out of the box.

    Of course, I would recommend that the KelTec owners who seem to be enjoying this so much, don't drop their guns, either. After all, they are mostly the same folks who said the Ruger was a clone of the P3AT, so...

    I mean who really knows if Ruger is really 'the devil' for selling a bad gun...or if they are just a good company for owning up to a mistake. Maybe KelTec is just keeping their fingers crossed.

  9. #28
    revolvers&w is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    70
    The owner of my local gunshop advised me against a purchase of the L.C.P this summer. He could have sold it to me at a premium when supply was low instead he said that I should wait until supply stabilized and see if any quality issues were going to arise.
    It is dissapointing to see Ruger having these quality issues but gratifying to see dealers with more than the bottom line in mind.

  10. #29
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvers&w View Post
    The owner of my local gunshop advised me against a purchase of the L.C.P this summer. He could have sold it to me at a premium when supply was low instead he said that I should wait until supply stabilized and see if any quality issues were going to arise.
    It is dissapointing to see Ruger having these quality issues but gratifying to see dealers with more than the bottom line in mind.
    Wow, that's unheard of. Atleast at any shop I've ever been to.

    -Jeff-

  11. #30
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    I'm still carrying it every day, and I still shoot it regularly. I just don't drop it. I also don't shoot lead bullets in it, anymore, 'cause it doesn't like them. Other than that, it's fine. I don't consider this any more of a disaster than those KelTec owners did, who found out their particular guns needed a 'fluff and buff,' right out of the box.
    I don't know about a "fluff and buff." My P32 and P3AT have run perfectly right out of the box, and have the P3ATs of several colleagues. Anyway, minor functional improvements done at the owner's option are hardly the same thing as a widespread recall of a dangerous pistol.

    Of course, I would recommend that the KelTec owners who seem to be enjoying this so much, don't drop their guns, either. After all, they are mostly the same folks who said the Ruger was a clone of the P3AT, so...
    Yes, it appears Ruger cannot successfully copy either a Glock or a KelTec.

    I mean who really knows if Ruger is really 'the devil' for selling a bad gun...or if they are just a good company for owning up to a mistake.
    It's not a matter of being a "good company." Dangerous products have to be recalled if the company wants to avoid lawsuits and remain in business.

    I'm not saying Ruger is the devil...just that their pistol design engineers appear incompetent. Drop-safe guns have existed for decades, but Ruger can't seem to get it right - on two guns in a row now.

    I'm glad Ruger fans like their unsafe guns so much that they can be bought off with a spare magazine, though.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  12. #31
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    I'm still carrying it every day, and I still shoot it regularly. I just don't drop it.
    Then with that logic, you should take out the seat belts in your car. It's still OK to drive it, just don't crash it. You're that sure-handed that you can guarantee you'll never drop the gun? You should have been a receiver in the NFL or a baseball player then, they both could use you.

    I am not that naive/arrogant/(insert adjective here) to think that I will never drop a gun. I know there are these things called "accidents" that unless you're a psychic, you can't predict. It's nice to have some safety devices around just in case.

  13. #32
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    It's not a matter of being a "good company." Dangerous products have to be recalled if the company wants to avoid lawsuits and remain in business.
    You are right about avoiding lawsuits, but, they also did not need to provide shipping charges both ways, nor did they need to provide a conciliatory mag with the repair. Like you though, I would take a hard look at any future Ruger products and let them be on the market a while before I purchased another one. How times change, last Ruger's I looked at were back in the 70's and it was at or near the top of all lists (depending on the model) as "the gun to have in your collection".

  14. #33
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Then with that logic, you should take out the seat belts in your car. It's still OK to drive it, just don't crash it. You're that sure-handed that you can guarantee you'll never drop the gun? You should have been a receiver in the NFL or a baseball player then, they both could use you.

    I am not that naive/arrogant/(insert adjective here) to think that I will never drop a gun. I know there are these things called "accidents" that unless you're a psychic, you can't predict. It's nice to have some safety devices around just in case.
    No need to get yourself worked up over it.

    There are certain cardinal rules that old s like me grew up with, in regard to guns. Back before the government took over the job of protecting everyone from themselves, dads and grandpas and big brothers and uncles all taught their kids to never sweep a gun across anyone, never put your finger in the trigger guard till ready to fire, and never, ever drop a gun...because not so long ago, any gun might go off if dropped. I grew up in such an environment and the thought of actually dropping a gun is blasphemy to me. I won't say that I have never violated any of those rules, or that I could not ever drop a gun, but the likelihood is very low.

    But thanks for the lecture, anyway. You are a hell of a moderator.

  15. #34
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I don't know about a "fluff and buff." My P32 and P3AT have run perfectly right out of the box, and have the P3ATs of several colleagues.
    There are lots of happy KelTec owners, just like there are lots of happy Taurus owners. But if you run the numbers, I think you will discover that both companies have had more issues with quality control over the years than Ruger. The only KelTecs I have ever handled are the ones people needed help with to get them to run properly. Our personal experiences are simply not the same.

    I'm not saying Ruger is the devil...just that their pistol design engineers appear incompetent. Drop-safe guns have existed for decades, but Ruger can't seem to get it right - on two guns in a row now.
    I don't want to be the spokesman in charge of defending Ruger. The LCP is the only one I currently own and I recognize it for what it is-an over-priced copy of another cheap gun, both of which work pretty well, most of the time.

    I just find it amusing for KelTec owners to be celebrating over another company's poor quality control.

  16. #35
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    No need to get yourself worked up over it.
    Who's worked up? Believe me, you haven't been around here long enough to see me worked up. Simply putting it out there how I see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    I won't say that I have never violated any of those rules, or that I could not ever drop a gun, but the likelihood is very low.
    Well, I'm glad you're so self-confident. For your own safety and the safety of innocent people around you, I hope you're right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    But thanks for the lecture, anyway. You are a hell of a moderator.
    I'll take that as a complement and not an open, yet veiled criticism of how I mod.

  17. #36
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Wow, that's unheard of. Atleast at any shop I've ever been to.

    -Jeff-
    Same here for the most part. I have one shop that is pretty close to me that will shoot from the hip and be straight with people. He's one of those I want you back and often kind of guys. I wish there was more like that. Most it's a fanboy thing or whatever gets the bonus that month.

  18. #37
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    There are lots of happy KelTec owners, just like there are lots of happy Taurus owners. But if you run the numbers, I think you will discover that both companies have had more issues with quality control over the years than Ruger.
    That is probably an accurate statement as far as it goes. However, I am unaware of any Taurus or KelTec pistols that will fire when dropped. Yet Ruger has managed to design two in a row. Maybe they need their QC people to stand over the engineers rather than the production workers.

    I just find it amusing for KelTec owners to be celebrating over another company's poor quality control.
    I'm not celebrating. I just wonder why some Ruger owners buy an unsafe design and then grovel in gratitude because Ruger gives them (gee whiz!) a whole magazine and free freight to fix a massive engineering screw-up that could have potentially led to death. Ruger should never have let these unsafe guns out of the factory, especially after the SR9 experience.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  19. #38
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I'm not celebrating. I just wonder why some Ruger owners buy an unsafe design and then grovel in gratitude because Ruger gives them (gee whiz!) a whole magazine and free freight to fix a massive engineering screw-up that could have potentially led to death. Ruger should never have let these unsafe guns out of the factory, especially after the SR9 experience.
    I can't help but wonder at what height the drop was from. Especially with a DAO operation. Hard to believe a drop from shoulder height would set it off. Before you say anything...I am not volunteering to drop mine with a round in the chamber to find out. That's what QA is for. I'm just sending mine in to get it fixed.

  20. #39
    kev74's Avatar
    kev74 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    985
    If Ruger really loved us, they'd give out free stuff without selling an unsafe product.


  21. #40
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    Before you say anything...I am not volunteering to drop mine with a round in the chamber to find out. That's what QA is for. I'm just sending mine in to get it fixed.
    Chicken.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

lc380 recall
,
lcp recall
,
recall on ruger lcp
,
ruger 380 recall
,

ruger lcp 380 recall

,

ruger lcp recall

,
ruger lcp recall info
,
ruger lcp recalls
,
ruger lcr recall
,
ruger recall
,
ruger recall lcp
,
ruger recalls
Click on a term to search for related topics.