Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Ratfink's Avatar
    Ratfink is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tempe AZ
    Posts
    16

    Springfield Arms XD compact .40

    Went to the range this morning. Couldn't think of a more American way to start off my Independence day.

    Tried out a few guns, because I am still shopping for a good carry .40 semi-auto.

    I was looking forward to trying out the new XD after looking at it online for the last couple weeks.

    I was actually disappointed. Didn't feel good in my hands, and it was really hard to load the magazine to full capacity by hand. Could be that I am new at it, but I had no problems loading 5 other guns, and this one was really making my thumb sore to just get 10 .40 rounds in it.

    I like some of the features, and the price is not bad. But I don't see owning one any time soon. Maybe it was just circumstances, but if you guys have some more insight on it, that would be cool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
    I was actually disappointed. Didn't feel good in my hands, and it was really hard to load the magazine to full capacity by hand. Could be that I am new at it, but I had no problems loading 5 other guns, and this one was really making my thumb sore to just get 10 .40 rounds in it.
    Don't get too discouraged; they may have been new(er) mags, which are usually pretty stiff.

  3. #3
    Ratfink's Avatar
    Ratfink is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tempe AZ
    Posts
    16
    Good to know.

    Anyone own one that can attest to that statement?

  4. #4
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    I have an XD40 and the new mags are stiff. It gets easier over time.

  5. #5
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Hey Ratfink go to a shop and get one of them plastic thumb loaders. They cost about $8.00 but they will save the thumb. You could load your mags to max and leave them that way for a few days. Might help a little. Good luck.

  6. #6
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Hey Ratfink go to a shop and get one of them plastic thumb loaders. They cost about $8.00 but they will save the thumb. You could load your mags to max and leave them that way for a few days. Might help a little. Good luck.
    If he buys the XD new, a loader is part of the "great" XD gear package that comes with the XD.

  7. #7
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    I agree with the other fellows. Mag springs are often stiff when new. Whenever I get new mags for my Glock 26, they are hard to fully load the first few times. Don't see why an XD would be much different, since the guns are similar in concept.

    None of which fixes the poor feel in your hand, but I have a higher regard for the adaptability of the human hand than many.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  8. #8
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    I had an XD40 Tactical and XD9 Service. The 9 was not as bad as the 40 when loading the last 2 rounds but neither improved over 4000 40's and 1000 9's. I replaced both with M&P full size models. The Mag's were easier to load from the getgo the grip (adjustable) fit my hand significantly better and I shoot better with both.

    Mike, we can adapt to many things but I choose to wear the correct shoe and glove size for me. I also chose to own and shoot guns that fit ME. I could care less if they work well for some one else except insofar as they operate reliably. Have fun with your Glocks , I am enjoying my M&P's.


  9. #9
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Mike, we can adapt to many things but I choose to wear the correct shoe and glove size for me. I also chose to own and shoot guns that fit ME. I could care less if they work well for some one else except insofar as they operate reliably. Have fun with your Glocks , I am enjoying my M&P's.
    That was a little out of left field, but okay. The M&P seems a perfectly serviceable pistol, even if it is basically just a Sigma with a facelift. It remains to be seen if it will have the long, wide and deep track record of reliability that the Glock has. I hope it does, since it is probably the best American pistol of this generation.

    I shot a 1911 for almost twenty years before finally switching to Glock. The latter felt very foreign to me since I was so long accustomed to the 1911, but I was committed to the Glock because of the reliability issue, and now it feels perfectly natural to me. I simply adapted to the new tool - just as my hand can use a hammer, a jigsaw, a screwdriver and a ratchet with equal facility.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  10. #10
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Thumbs up I have an XD also ....

    Hey Rat,

    I have an XD, a 4" Service model in 45 ACP. I've had it for over a year & 1/2 now & shot I don't know how many rounds through. When it was new the 13 round mags were tight but they not a problem now.
    It's become one of my favorite weapons & also my CCW in a Blackhawk holster.

  11. #11
    Ratfink's Avatar
    Ratfink is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tempe AZ
    Posts
    16
    I am going to own a Sig P229 .40 very soon. Next paycheck. But I will still keep the slot open for the XD if I get a second gun. It has some good features. All I want to see now is for it to be shot so many times that it builds a good service record, like the Sig's and Glocks. I think it can.

  12. #12
    spacedoggy's Avatar
    spacedoggy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Planet Zeon just outside of Tyler Texas
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    That was a little out of left field, but okay. The M&P seems a perfectly serviceable pistol, even if it is basically just a Sigma with a facelift. It remains to be seen if it will have the long, wide and deep track record of reliability that the Glock has. I hope it does, since it is probably the best American pistol of this generation.
    Mike I don't understand your statement. I know nothing about the M&P or Sigma's. What got me confused is when you said "since it is probably the best American pistol of this generation." Is it because it's a S&W and they have the power to get a handgun that title even if it does not have the reliability? If the M&P is a sigma with a face lift why are they so dam cheap? I looked at one but the price was so low I didn't trust it and that was not a sale price. Made me think it was a Rossi or a High-point.

  13. #13
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedoggy View Post
    Mike I don't understand your statement. I know nothing about the M&P or Sigma's. What got me confused is when you said "since it is probably the best American pistol of this generation." Is it because it's a S&W and they have the power to get a handgun that title even if it does not have the reliability? If the M&P is a sigma with a face lift why are they so dam cheap? I looked at one but the price was so low I didn't trust it and that was not a sale price. Made me think it was a Rossi or a High-point.
    I should have written "best service-grade American pistol." I think the Kahr still beats the M&P overall.

    Have you had bad experiences with the M&P in terms of reliability? Most of the major instructors have had quite a of of them through their schools, and report good reliability. John Farnam has been quite effusive about the pistol. My own personal experience with it is limited to one pistol.

    And which gun did you see at a low price, the Sigma or the M&P? Sigmas have been cheap for years. Before I deployed, I saw M&Ps going for slightly more than Glocks, which isn't expensive but isn't exactly Hi-Point territory, either. But the M&P has some things in common with the Sigma, especially the trigger group - though it is much improved.

    Pricing on Sigmas and M&Ps seems to be what the market will bear. Few people would buy a Sigma for the same price and an XD or Glock. But people will shell out money for the new gun, especially since it is ergonomically better than the old one. Hey, look at how much HK charges for a polymer gun just because it says "HK" on it.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

spring field arms xd9 compact

,

springfield arms xd price

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1