Need help with picking my first gun (1911).
This is probably one of many similar posts already on the forums but Iím horrible at searching forums and unfortunately donít have much time or knowledge about guns to do my own research.
Iíve been going to shooting ranges for a few years now but very rarely (5 times a year the most). I have shot many different handguns and I think itís time for me to buy my first ever gun. As I previously said Iíve tried a lot of different types and the 1911 seems to bond with me the most. It feels comfortable in my hand, Iím very accurate with it, I like the way it looks, I havenít had any problems with it so far. I have tried 1911 from only 3 manufacturers (Colt, S&W and Kimber), honestly I didnít see much of a difference between them although I didnít spend much time with them since I was only using them at the range for rent. Also I had no idea up until I decided to buy my own that each manufacturer had soooo many different types of 1911s!
I am a lefty and want my gun to be for a left handed person. Iím looking to buy a brand new 1911 0.45 ACP caliber which I can eventually upgrade part by part (grips, sights, safety locks, trigger or whatever else gets into my mind). As of right now I want the barrel around 5ď but not too sure yet.
The price range without any upgrades is between $1,000 and $1,700 (not too strict on the range but I feel this amount will get me what I want)
I have no intention of carrying this gun anywhere except for in the trunk of my car when I go to the range. And I just want to get very familiar with this gun in case I ever need to use it for self defense.
So here are my questions/concerns (I have already read the sticky 1911 Buyerís Ref. Guide so some of my questions are from there too):
1) Which brands should I be looking at for my price range and assuming I will eventually upgrade parts? (S&W was the least favorite out of the 3 Iíve shot)
2) Size- as I understand the bigger the better? Factors being: Reliability,Accuracy,Ballistics performance.
3) Magazine- not too concerned with the amount of rounds it will hold but is it generally recommended to upgrade it anyways?
4) Guide rods and Spring guides- Iím totally lost here and not too sure what I need to know about them
5) Weight- I think itís irrelevant if Iím not carrying?
6) Out of the brands which model in particular and why?
7) Material- Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel. Is it only for looks or does it actually make any difference? And does it generally affect the price much?
8) Conversion for a lefty- Does it come ready for me from a factory and if so will it cost extra and how much?
If some or all of my questions are too ďnoobishĒ please point me in the right direction and give some helpful links.
Thanks a lot!
Re: Need help with picking my first gun (1911).
A SA milspec is also a good place to start. Gives you a platform to customize for the features you want later. That's where I started many years ago. Never customized it because I like it as is. Just ended up buying higher end 1911's.