Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: So long Hallie

  1. #1
    goldwing's Avatar
    goldwing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    935

    So long Hallie

    Our girl Hallie had to be put down Monday because of kidney failure. She was an Australian Shepherd and was rescued from the pound approximately 7 years ago. She had her first seizure
    Friday night and died after a couple of days and $1000 at the Vet clinic. She was a wonderful companion and left a huge empty space when she passed on.

    On a whim today I called my ever loving better half and asked her if she would meet me at the animal shelter. She balked at the idea and told me that it was way too soon to think about adopting a new dog, but agreed to take a look anyway.

    I arrived at the shelter a few minutes before Karen and was chatting with the receptionist about how we had just lost our Aussie when a lady came out of an adjacent office and told me to go out to the kennel and find Buster. I said "Who is Buster?" She replied "You'll see!"

    I walked back through the kennel and found the sweetest six month old Aussie pup that anyone could imagine. The adoption should be approved tomorrow.

    GW

  2. #2
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    3,471
    I saw my first Australian Shepherd a few days ago. It belongs to a neighbor. Friendly and alert. Probably the two dogs I am most fond of are German Shepards and Border Collies. A Border Collie named Penny once saved my butt from a Brahma bull.

    The animal who's loss had the most affect on me, and still does 20 years later, was a short haired domestic grey tabby cat. He was an outdoor cat and the most amazing and intelligent pet I ever owned... dog or cat. Even people who didn't care for cats seemed to be drawn to Hobo. He was really special and as I write this now, I am getting emotional.
    hillman likes this.

  3. #3
    SailDesign's Avatar
    SailDesign is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    2,069
    Sorry to hear that, GW.

    Sweet news on buster, though.

  4. #4
    RK3369 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    669
    very difficult to loose a family member. We have had three Springer Spaniels over the years, all great, loving, family dogs. When the last one went a few years ago, I told my wife I just didn't want to go through it again. We now live in a condo where there is not really any ability to let them run loose anyhow, so it kind of made the decision for us not to get another. I suppose eventually we will, but it sure is a big hurt when you loose one.

  5. #5
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I saw my first Australian Shepherd a few days ago. It belongs to a neighbor. Friendly and alert. Probably the two dogs I am most fond of are German Shepards and Border Collies. A Border Collie named Penny once saved my butt from a Brahma bull.

    The animal who's loss had the most affect on me, and still does 20 years later, was a short haired domestic grey tabby cat. He was an outdoor cat and the most amazing and intelligent pet I ever owned... dog or cat. Even people who didn't care for cats seemed to be drawn to Hobo. He really special and as I write this now, I am getting emotional.
    Some cats are like that. When I was a kid I knew a couple of them, a tabby and then one of her "double-pawed' sons. BTW your gray couldn't be both a tabby and a 'he', right?

  6. #6
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    Some cats are like that. When I was a kid I knew a couple of them, a tabby and then one of her "double-pawed' sons. BTW your gray couldn't be both a tabby and a 'he', right?
    Does this mean that all tabby's are female? He was entered into the vet's records as a short haired domestic grey tabby. He left his owner, a college student, for us when he was around eleven months old. His former owner lived in New York and went to Virginia Tech and would take "Michael" with him. He stopped in our neighborhood one Saturday in March 1983 and "Michael" jumped out of the car and started looking for a different home. Guess he didn't like traveling.

    The next day my wife found him sleeping on our clothes dryer in the basement with our German Shepard close by. Like to scared the crap out of her. We tried to find who owned him, but to no avail so we kept him. Three months later the owner showed up and just wanted to make sure "Michael", now Hobo, had a good home. A truly amazing animal. I am blessed to have had him in my life.
    hillman likes this.

  7. #7
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    458
    Yeah, tabby - tom is the same deal as doe - buck.

  8. #8
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Flyover, USA
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    Yeah, tabby - tom is the same deal as doe - buck.
    My Google disagreed. It says a tabby is mottled or streaked with darker fur. Didn't mention sex.

  9. #9
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboHonda View Post
    My Google disagreed. It says a tabby is mottled or streaked with darker fur. Didn't mention sex.
    "Didn't mention sex." I'm going to hold back comment on that.

    Maybe Google ignores 'the wisdom of the aged'; I don't. Google may be confused. Three-colored cats (usually calicos with orange in it) are almost always female. That's as far as I will take the Google calumny.

  10. #10
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Flyover, USA
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    "Didn't mention sex." I'm going to hold back comment on that.

    Maybe Google ignores 'the wisdom of the aged'; I don't. Google may be confused. Three-colored cats (usually calicos with orange in it) are almost always female. That's as far as I will take the Google calumny.
    Whatever. Sometimes these threads remind me of one of my favorite jokes:

    Three old ladies were walking down the street.
    The first lady says "it sure is windy today".
    The second lady says "no, I believe it's Thursday".
    The third one says "I am too. Let's stop for Coke".
    hillman likes this.

  11. #11
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboHonda View Post
    Whatever. Sometimes these threads remind me of one of my favorite jokes:

    Three old ladies were walking down the street.
    The first lady says "it sure is windy today".
    The second lady says "no, I believe it's Thursday".
    The third one says "I am too. Let's stop for Coke".
    The sexual opposite (since we have sex involved) has them as old men, and the 3rd one saying "Me too. Let's get a beer."

    I can't figure out whether disagreeing with Google makes me a better American or a poorer one.

  12. #12
    SailDesign's Avatar
    SailDesign is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    The sexual opposite (since we have sex involved) has them as old men, and the 3rd one saying "Me too. Let's get a beer."

    I can't figure out whether disagreeing with Google makes me a better American or a poorer one.
    Rage! Rage against The Machine!

  13. #13
    goldwing's Avatar
    goldwing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    935
    The adoption is approved! I can pick him up on Sunday. I spent an hour at the shelter with him and my Karen today. We were able to take "Cooper" on a 45 minute walk and he is pretty impressive with his intelligence. I had him heeling on a loose leash in about ten minutes. He is quickly learning stop, sit and stay. I will post some pics when I get the pup home on Sunday.

    GW

  14. #14
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    6,422
    We have an island friend who takes in injured, stray, and merely-unwanted border collies and Australian shepherds. Last I looked, he had five of them.
    He borrows sheep from a local farmer, and has built a large pen for them, to give the sheepdogs something to do. He says that the dogs need something to herd, to keep them from getting bored.
    When I stop at the sheepfold to say "Hello!" the dogs herd me, too.

    "Did you herd sheep?" my grandpa said.
    My grandma reeled in fright!
    Your grammar's wrong, my Grandma said,
    "Have you heard sheep?" is right!
    (written by Walt Kelly, in his comic-strip Pogo)

    "Tabby" is a color-pattern, and it applies to more than just cats. It has nothing to do with gender.
    However, since color and pattern seem to guide animals' choices, it may have a lot to do with sex.

  15. #15
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    458
    The 'working' dogs (not pointers or setters though, not complicated enough) were bred for intelligence, herders especially. They were also bred to retain willingness to pay attention to the alpha dog (that's you). It amazing what selective breeding can do, if the potential is there. I am inordinately pleased by your finding a new friend.
    pic likes this.

  16. #16
    goldwing's Avatar
    goldwing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    935
    I've been doing some research on training Aussies on the web today and I found a site that specializes on them. I am going to train myself so I can properly train Cooper.
    They say that training an Aussie is totally different than most other breeds. I want to get it right for his sake and for mine and Karen's. I have seen these guys on tv doing there job herding sheep and their intelligence is amazing. The thing is that when they aren't trained properly they become the evil genius and start acting badly. A half hour a day training is time well invested when you have a dog who makes you proud rather than embarrassing you.

    GW
    SailDesign and MoMan like this.

  17. #17
    MoMan's Avatar
    MoMan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    7 Pines, NY
    Posts
    247
    GW, sorry for the loss of your Aussie!! I've had to have our Border Collie put down a few years back. She was my best friend, and always with me. If I went to get a load of wood and didn't let her jump up into my truck to go with me, when I came home to unload, she would be so pissed!!

    I'm really glad you were able to find another Aussie, to keep you occupied!!

  18. #18
    goldwing's Avatar
    goldwing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    935
    This is my new pride and joy. He is beautiful and unbelievably intelligent. Cooper is just six months old and weighs in at 40 pounds. He is eager to please and never takes his eyes off of me. He is settling in at his new home and doing great. Training starts tomorrow.

  19. #19
    pic
    pic is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    The 'working' dogs (not pointers or setters though, not complicated enough) were bred for intelligence, herders especially. They were also bred to retain willingness to pay attention to the alpha dog (that's you). It amazing what selective breeding can do, if the potential is there. I am inordinately pleased by your finding a new friend.
    Hillman,

    When they're puppies , a little growl or a nip from the parents is the first training they receive.

    Good luck goldwing on your new pup.

  20. #20
    goldwing's Avatar
    goldwing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    935
    A quick update on the pup. After spending about a day and a half with Cooper, I have learned that he is absolutely focused on me his every waking moment. He wakes from a deep sleep if I leave the room and will follow. His focus makes training him simple if you are aware enough to give him the right cues and commands.

    If there was ever a doubt for me about rescuing a dog, this little guy has erased it. He is walking at a tight heel with slack in the leash and already knows enough to sit when we stop. At only six months he is still a bit loco but it would be boring for both of us if he didn't remind me what a baby he still is.

    GW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1