Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    221

    New dog. Opinions.

    Howdy all.
    The family and I are getting a 6 week old English Mastiff pup. Want and need a decent tempered guard dog that can scare people.
    We saw the 18 month old pup from the last batch as well as the mother. Mother is like 160-180 and the 18 month old was around 200+.
    Nice looking. Anyone else like em? Hg

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    bps3040's Avatar
    bps3040 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    296
    I can vouch for the protective part. My customer had one....for about 6 months and one day it decided it did not like me.I serviced the pool weekly, so the dog saw me every week. I was walking back to my truck and the dog came around the corner of the house...and its eyes told me I was dead. It attacked...it went for my left hand/forearm, but I lifted it out of the way. So it bit me about 4" to the left of my boys. It knocked me flying, but I stuck my arm back and did a flip, which is what I believe saved my life. He lunged at me again, but my flip moved me away from where he was attacking. He brushed against me and missed. The pool equipment was on a 4 foot platform(flood plain). I was able to climb on top of the filter. He tried for the next 15 min. to climb up there and kill me. The homeowner finall came out of the house and put it up

    I ended up with a nasty black bruise and 4 bumps, where his fangs were located, sticking out about the size of eggs. He was not able to get hold of me...I was very lucky.He weighed 187 lbs. and I weighed 193. They finally got rid of him, because it happened again with a friend of they're sons. Good luck. Hope this helps.

  4. #3
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
    I can vouch for the protective part. My customer had one....for about 6 months and one day it decided it did not like me.I serviced the pool weekly, so the dog saw me every week. I was walking back to my truck and the dog came around the corner of the house...and its eyes told me I was dead. It attacked...it went for my left hand/forearm, but I lifted it out of the way. So it bit me about 4" to the left of my boys. It knocked me flying, but I stuck my arm back and did a flip, which is what I believe saved my life. He lunged at me again, but my flip moved me away from where he was attacking. He brushed against me and missed. The pool equipment was on a 4 foot platform(flood plain). I was able to climb on top of the filter. He tried for the next 15 min. to climb up there and kill me. The homeowner finall came out of the house and put it up

    I ended up with a nasty black bruise and 4 bumps, where his fangs were located, sticking out about the size of eggs. He was not able to get hold of me...I was very lucky.He weighed 187 lbs. and I weighed 193. They finally got rid of him, because it happened again with a friend of they're sons. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    I hope the idiot owner's legal settlement got YOU a new pool in the bargain... I LOVE dogs, but no dog should act like that.

    JW

  5. #4
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
    I can vouch for the protective part. My customer had one....for about 6 months and one day it decided it did not like me.I serviced the pool weekly, so the dog saw me every week. I was walking back to my truck and the dog came around the corner of the house...and its eyes told me I was dead. It attacked...it went for my left hand/forearm, but I lifted it out of the way. So it bit me about 4" to the left of my boys. It knocked me flying, but I stuck my arm back and did a flip, which is what I believe saved my life. He lunged at me again, but my flip moved me away from where he was attacking. He brushed against me and missed. The pool equipment was on a 4 foot platform(flood plain). I was able to climb on top of the filter. He tried for the next 15 min. to climb up there and kill me. The homeowner finall came out of the house and put it up

    I ended up with a nasty black bruise and 4 bumps, where his fangs were located, sticking out about the size of eggs. He was not able to get hold of me...I was very lucky.He weighed 187 lbs. and I weighed 193. They finally got rid of him, because it happened again with a friend of they're sons. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    There was a second time? It's frequently a one way trip to the vet for dogs after that kind of thing.

    KG

  6. #5
    bprince04305 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    91
    Wow... and people say pitbulls are bad

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    221
    Dont want one that mean, but we need a watchdog as my G/F's ex is up on a felony and threatning to come out when Im not around.
    Be a surprise 4 him. LOL HG

  8. #7
    bprince04305 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    91
    Sounds like you now have a pretty good reason to get her to come shoot with u

  9. #8
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmigremmie View Post
    Dont want one that mean, but we need a watchdog as my G/F's ex is up on a felony and threatning to come out when Im not around.
    Be a surprise 4 him. LOL HG
    If he's determined to injury somebody, then a dog isn't going to do anything.

    -Jeff-

  10. #9
    bprince04305 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    91
    I ll have to disagree with you here, because depending on the dog it could very well save your life. Whether it be said dog alerting you, or actually coming to your aide. As long as the dog is properly trained, especially a dog of that size, i could see a dog preventing someone from causing harm.

  11. #10
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by bprince04305 View Post
    I ll have to disagree with you here, because depending on the dog it could very well save your life. Whether it be said dog alerting you, or actually coming to your aide. As long as the dog is properly trained, especially a dog of that size, i could see a dog preventing someone from causing harm.
    Well, we might have to agree to disagree then. Someone that is truly determined to injure somebody, is going to do whatever they can to hurt that individual. Assuming he got a full grown dog tomorrow, and trained it (1+ years later....) no matter what, dogs can be avoided. For that matter, if he had an intent to kill, he could simply kill the dog first. I'm not wishing this on anybody, and I hope the situation never arises, but I'm trying to prove a point here. Also, he's saying there are threats of this man to come around when he isn't there. Assuming she isn't armed, the dog barking isn't going to do much except make her wonder why it's barking. Then, she'd find out when the guy is in her face. Just my .02

    -Jeff-

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    221
    Yea yer both onto good points.
    This looser is living a good ways away, so he might b talk to. Either way, Im not worried, but a big dog might deture someone, even if were gone and its a small time robber. HG

  13. #12
    DocB is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12
    Friend of mine lives out in the country on a dead end road with a wife and three little girls. They have a doberman that was dumped out there and he swears up and down it's the best dog to have. When she dies he's getting another. When I met my wife she had an Akita. Yes it was scary but he eventually turned against her. I'm just not sure how smart some of these really big dogs are. I would go with a doberman or german shepard.

  14. #13
    Cope's Distributing's Avatar
    Cope's Distributing is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13

    I would like to add

    I myself have two huge Rotts. They are my babies My male is 3 and my female is 2. My male would not hurt a fly. My female on the other hand hates everyone she will not let anyone come near me or my two little boys who are 4 and 2. Dozer (my Male) is about 160lbs and my boys ride him aroudn like a horse. He sleeps in bed with my oldest son and is always by his side like he is glued there. Reaper (my female) is about 13o lbs and can sense if something is not right with someone and will let me know right away. She sleeps in bed with me, which leaves me no space at all between her and my husband there is no room for me. If you are around them they are like two horse's that act like lap dogs. But lord help someone that trys to come around they are not getting close to me or my family. They are either going to run from the barking or run from two horse's staring at them. It is really funny when people come over to our house for the first time. I will have both dogs in the kitchen sitting pretty on the floor and friends will walk in an say "UMM WOW" those are big dogs do the bite! I laugh and tell them no only when we say the magic word.... There really isnt one.... but after awhile we always hear what is that magic word.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkwood MO
    Posts
    408
    I'm a big proponent of Rotts, Dobermanns, and German Sheperds. IMO you want a dog to be big enough to be noticed and heeded, but not so big that it can overpower you with ease (Akita and Mastiff come to mind). I have a German Sheperd now and couldn't be happier. He's plenty big enough to take care of himself and plenty alert to let me know if something is awry outside, and that's all I ask of him (and to be totally honest, smaller dogs can do this just as well). It's my responsibility to take it from there, i.e. I wouldn't expect him to stand between me and danger, just a nice bonus since he could theoroetically "help out" if the SHTF.

  16. #15
    firefighterwall is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    86
    A buddy of mine said it best

    "Dogs and alarms are only there to let you know it's time to grab a gun."


    I love dogs, I think they make wonderful deterrents, and there are tons of people's lives who have been saved by their dogs in all different ways (from protecting them from the cold to letting someone know that something is wrong with their master, they even have dogs that have been trained to use special cellphones that call 911...).

    But push comes to shove, your dog is only good until someone gets a good shot or two off at it, much like yourself. The only way to fight fire in this case is with fire.

    God forbid the ex show up and end up shooting the dog, or catch her away from the house where there is no dog...I'd echo sentiments that this is the perfect time to buy her a pistol and some shooting lessons. Get the dog later.

  17. #16
    BigNic's Avatar
    BigNic is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwall View Post
    A buddy of mine said it best

    "Dogs and alarms are only there to let you know it's time to grab a gun."


    I love dogs, I think they make wonderful deterrents, and there are tons of people's lives who have been saved by their dogs in all different ways (from protecting them from the cold to letting someone know that something is wrong with their master, they even have dogs that have been trained to use special cellphones that call 911...).

    But push comes to shove, your dog is only good until someone gets a good shot or two off at it, much like yourself. The only way to fight fire in this case is with fire.

    God forbid the ex show up and end up shooting the dog, or catch her away from the house where there is no dog...I'd echo sentiments that this is the perfect time to buy her a pistol and some shooting lessons. Get the dog later.

    +1 - I have to agree here.

  18. #17
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453

    Dogs DO save lives

    I have 2 pits at my house. They, like Cope said, are my babies. I had to put one down last spring for serious health reasons. Cash is a year old soon, and Moxy is only 3 months old. They might as well be my offspring the way they live in my house, or maybe I live in theirs....
    Anyways, my dogs are very laid back when I am around. They get a sense that if I am Ok with someone being on the property, they aren't going to act different. On the other hand, there has been a few instances of unwanted guests while I was home where they quickly escorted someone to their vehicle to leave. They are a good persuader.

    When I am at work, or out of town, with my wife and kids home however, it is difficult for friends or family members that do not come over very often to get into the house. The dogs love my wife and kids, but they know that I am the man of the house, and they are very cautious who they allow to come in when I am not home. My mother and father, my uncle, and my brother all call before they come over to make sure I am home. If I am not home, they usually wait to come over. Some people might think that is not a good thing, but it really works rather well for me.

    They would never harm any of my family, no matter what. I have seen my daughter grabbing their ears, twisting and pulling in a painful way. ( I do not LET her do this, she is learning) The dogs just yelp a little and walk away. they NEVER nip or growl in an aggressive manner towards any of us. When I am home, I have many friends and family over to the house, and everyone loves our dogs. They are very playful, and quite entertaining sometimes to watch them play.

    My point is, anyone who intended to cause harm to my family would be sorry if they tried to gain entry to my house. My dogs would stop anyone who was trying to get into my house unwelcome. The only scenario that someone would be able "get around" my dogs, as someone might put it, Is to shoot them through a window. In that situation, you have just alerted me, and you have only 15-20 seconds to get several miles away. Any man who kills my dogs would not be able to hide for long.

  19. #18
    dpdtc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwall View Post
    A buddy of mine said it best

    "Dogs and alarms are only there to let you know it's time to grab a gun."
    +1
    I say like others to get a dog that is more manageable. I to prefer the German Shepard. But I would not expect the dog to save my life. That is my job. Will they save your life? Some dogs will defend to the death of their owner some won't. Doesn't even have to be a big dog.

  20. #19
    jTC
    jTC is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8

    dogs

    I have a lab/pit mix. I go walking every day and often run into a fellow who also has a lab/pit mix. They look like twins. When we pass each other on opposite side of the street his dog acts like it wants to bust loose and run across the street and chew us to pieces. My dog barely even looks over at him. Go figure. I have often tried to figure this out but I can't. When my dog knows another dog is off its leash and charging at us it a whole differnet story. She will definately be just as aggresive. It really bothers me that his dog acts this way and I sometimes am just a little worried that the dog will get away from him. I believe its how there raised more then the breed. I take my dog along when we go to the pet store to buy dog food. If I was that guy I would be afraid to take that dog anywhere.
    JTC

  21. #20
    snowman46919's Avatar
    snowman46919 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by falchunt View Post
    I have 2 pits at my house. They, like Cope said, are my babies. I had to put one down last spring for serious health reasons. Cash is a year old soon, and Moxy is only 3 months old. They might as well be my offspring the way they live in my house, or maybe I live in theirs....
    Anyways, my dogs are very laid back when I am around. They get a sense that if I am Ok with someone being on the property, they aren't going to act different. On the other hand, there has been a few instances of unwanted guests while I was home where they quickly escorted someone to their vehicle to leave. They are a good persuader.

    When I am at work, or out of town, with my wife and kids home however, it is difficult for friends or family members that do not come over very often to get into the house. The dogs love my wife and kids, but they know that I am the man of the house, and they are very cautious who they allow to come in when I am not home. My mother and father, my uncle, and my brother all call before they come over to make sure I am home. If I am not home, they usually wait to come over. Some people might think that is not a good thing, but it really works rather well for me.

    They would never harm any of my family, no matter what. I have seen my daughter grabbing their ears, twisting and pulling in a painful way. ( I do not LET her do this, she is learning) The dogs just yelp a little and walk away. they NEVER nip or growl in an aggressive manner towards any of us. When I am home, I have many friends and family over to the house, and everyone loves our dogs. They are very playful, and quite entertaining sometimes to watch them play.

    My point is, anyone who intended to cause harm to my family would be sorry if they tried to gain entry to my house. My dogs would stop anyone who was trying to get into my house unwelcome. The only scenario that someone would be able "get around" my dogs, as someone might put it, Is to shoot them through a window. In that situation, you have just alerted me, and you have only 15-20 seconds to get several miles away. Any man who kills my dogs would not be able to hide for long.
    Having met these dogs and raising a son of them ATM I must say that I most certainly agree. My pup is very well tempered and nice as can be. The only issue that presents self at the moment that is if you are acting in an aggressive or suspicious manner he does not bark he just grabs you and then you well bark for him in a manner of speaking. As far as a mastiff, it will take a few months for it to be big enough to be intimidating and a few years before it will get used to it's body in my experience. The very first thing I always check for is temperament, if they are laid back as a pup they will generally be easy to train and non aggressive towards the pack (family.) My step dad has a rott that if I had my choice would be put down you can be petting him one minute and the next he will try to take your head off.

    I like rotts, dobies, pits, pretty much any of your hunting blood line dogs are very good pack animals if you keep that in mind that they are a) a bloodline bred for hunting b) a pack type animal and you must show dominance early or you will literally be fighting your own pet for leadership of your household. All dogs are pack animals but some still have that trait more than others. If your dog ever shows aggression in the wrong manner it will happen again, the rest of your family has to come before your four legged family.

  22. #21
    SeanM is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seacramento
    Posts
    9
    A dogs size has nothing to do with its intelligance orworking ability. Its all about picking the right dog for the right job weather it be hunting, guarding, personal protection or tracking. In the case of guarding a big dog will scare off most would be bad guys because in most peoples minds the bigger the dog the more damage it can do. If you already have the pup I would look for a trainer in your area doing schutzhund, french ring or psa so you can get a good base for your dogs training.

  23. #22
    skullfr's Avatar
    skullfr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Beaumont,Texas
    Posts
    311
    Dogs are great companions and very loyal.If he wants to really hurt you I wouldnt rely on just a dog.My chihuahua is a great alarm.He lets no one near without me knowing it.He could even distract enough for me to arm myself and fire.I have had shepards and mutts and all serve a purpose.They all can be defeated though.

  24. #23
    Philco is online now Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmigremmie View Post
    Howdy all.
    The family and I are getting a 6 week old English Mastiff pup. Want and need a decent tempered guard dog that can scare people.
    We saw the 18 month old pup from the last batch as well as the mother. Mother is like 160-180 and the 18 month old was around 200+.
    Nice looking. Anyone else like em? Hg
    My experience with that breed has been is limited to a couple of rather unpleasant encounters as I performed the duties of my job. An adult mastiff is a huge dog and one that will need a strong hand to control it. You may need to consider liability considerations that come with owning such a large and potentially dangerous dog.

    In addition to that, you're going to have a lot of dog food to buy, and don't forget that what goes in one end eventually comes out the other.

  25. #24
    LStetz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    61


    Hello:

    I read your post and i understand that you would like to get a dog to protect the family, however please let me worn you as i have been in dogs for over 30 years, with training, showing, grooming, behavior work etc, everything about dogs, and you should not get a puppy until it is at least 10 weeks of age, you were saying getting at 6 weeks that tells me it is not the same type of person as i or my husband and the people i deal with, caution you to not to go to a puppy barn, type or back yard, someone that breeds to show but also breeds for the better of the breed and not for money, please let me ask you this one question and i will know right away what type of person you are getting this puppy and you can e-mail directly to my Kennel e-mail which is LIRAY5@aol.com
    I would like to ask you a few things and the reason is because i want to help you make the right decision, just because you buy from something like a breeder who shows that does not mean you have to show it because not every puppy turns out but you will know what you are getting.
    also understand that you will have to put alot of work into this dog starting at a young age but a puppy should not be taken from mom at 6 weeks old that is way to young the youngest age would be 8 weeks and we do not even do that we wait until at least 10 weeks.
    are you aware that giant breeds only live until they are 8 or 9 years of age?
    you do know other breeds not so big that you can get that are more the capable of protecting your family it is not always about size.
    please i am only trying to help you and your family, and not even charge you for it because just from what you said it sounds like this has not really been thought about and please do not get mad at me for saying this i am only trying to help you and your family,

    BY THE WAY I THINK THEY ARE A GREAT DOG! getting them from the right people.

    as a long time person of being around and working with dogs for over 30 years and every breed I am trying to help you.

    again my personal kennel e-mail is LIRAY5@aol.com and from there i will even give you my phone number

    Lisa Stetz- LIRAY Kennels

  26. #25
    LefteeTris's Avatar
    LefteeTris is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54
    I would hope after 2 years this persons decision was made already....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

lefteetris

Click on a term to search for related topics.