Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76
  1. #21
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    open carry is legal in oregon, i open carry 90% of the time.... i have read that open carry gives away tactical advantage, and this may be true.... but it is also a deterrent.... anyone who would attack a person who is obviously armed and by extension willing to defend themselves is going to attack you anyway.... why conceal and therefore look like a better victim?

    "when the jackals feast on gazelles, its good to be a lion"

  2. #22
    rgrundy's Avatar
    rgrundy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    249
    Open carry is legal in Az but few do it any longer because it's legal to carry concealed with no permit now. Lots of people carry here because of the border situation. The only problem I've seen was one incident at Walmart where a new manager that recently moved from a flaming liberal state called 911 and the cops came and surrounded the guy and walked him out. When asked what he had done all she could say is that he had a pistol and she was sure it was illegal. She didn't realize that this is the wild west and it is legal and encouraged. I like to carry concealed so no enterprising cretin gets the idea that they may want to take my weapon from me because I'm old and weak. Also if there's trouble and you end up inadvertently in the middle of it you don't want to be eliminated as an immediate threat. I want my camoflage (I masquerade as a timid old man) to give me a decided edge because in 1 second or a little less I can ruin the party.

  3. #23
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    open carry is legal in oregon, i open carry 90% of the time.... i have read that open carry gives away tactical advantage, and this may be true.... but it is also a deterrent.... anyone who would attack a person who is obviously armed and by extension willing to defend themselves is going to attack you anyway.... why conceal and therefore look like a better victim?

    "when the jackals feast on gazelles, its good to be a lion"
    Possibly, but it lets them plan their attack and I don't know about you, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Concealing doesn't make you look like less of a victim but open carry kinda makes you look like an easy place to pick up a free gun. Opinions differ, no offense intended.

  4. #24
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    no offense taken.... and eyes in the back of my head would increase my situational awareness, till i grow a set i will have to turn my head from time to time.

  5. #25
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    btw i wonder what the statistics are ..... how many open carry practitioners are attacked each year.... i would venture to guess it is less than the number of cc practitioners attacked.

  6. #26
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    Hard to prove or disprove as I don't believe it is something that is tracked, at least nothing that I have been able to find over the years. It would just seem logical that if someone was hell bent on robbing a store when there was a person there with a gun showing, that person would be the primary from the start.

  7. #27
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    Hard to prove or disprove as I don't believe it is something that is tracked, at least nothing that I have been able to find over the years. It would just seem logical that if someone was hell bent on robbing a store when there was a person there with a gun showing, that person would be the primary from the start.
    \

    i understand your point, but the average stick up guy is gonna wait till there is less danger to himself..... the average crack head, is gonna do it anyway... so oc or cc we just need to keep an eye out for the guy who just doesnt give a sh!t ... i will admit that i currently live in a very low crime area in southern oregon and oc is pretty common .... and when i lived in philly i cc'd most of the time, wasnt worth the police hassle.

  8. #28
    Peaches is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    Possibly, but it lets them plan their attack and I don't know about you, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Concealing doesn't make you look like less of a victim but open carry kinda makes you look like an easy place to pick up a free gun. Opinions differ, no offense intended.
    I agree with zhurdan. I think people look and act like a victim and therefore become one. If you are aware of your environment and the people around you then you are less likely to be a victim then open carrying. I conceal carry everywhere (yes, I have my concealed carry permit) and would never open carry because I don't want to call more attention to myself. Just my opinion.

  9. #29
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,260
    In Indiana, yes. Our permit says Permit to carry a handgun. It says nothing about concealed, and the law does permit that as long as you have a valid permit. I went, about a year ago, and took the class and paid the money for the Utah permit too. Now, that permit says Permit to carry a concealed weapon. So, if I am carrying in lets say Ohio, then I have to CC the gun. Ohio does not recognize Indiana's permit.

  10. #30
    SigP229R's Avatar
    SigP229R is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    107
    It is legal but, not for 18 yr.olds must be 21 in my state to own a handgun. I however choose NOT to do it because no one else does however, on the other hand if it shows or prints occasionally I could give a rat. I think the few times it has been exposed or I printed no one noticed; at least no one has mentioned it.

  11. #31
    JBarL's Avatar
    JBarL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In the Heart Land of Texas
    Posts
    88
    Well depends on what people read here in Texas according to Texas constitution article 23 says you can wear a gun openly not concealed, but they also added later that legislators can regulate the wearing of arms to prevent crime WTF lol
    But Maybe one day we will go to open carry But I think ( me personally ) it would be best to carry concealed that way no one will know if I have it or not. But here in Texas 100+ temps in summer time makes it hard to conceale a large frame handgun without some form of printing, at least on my small frame body lol

    JBarL

  12. #32
    Cordite is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3
    Here in Maryland, there is no open carry and it is not a "shall issue" State. Here, you have to provide a reason which the Maryland State Police must agree with before you can obtain a concealed carry permit. There is no open carry except for LEO's. And believe you me, the authorities here do not grant many permits. There are several suits filed now, waiting for trials, on this issue, and our watchdog group, Maryland Shall Issue, is trying hard to make this a "shall issue" State. Plus, we have Baltimore, one of the most murderous cities anywhere.

  13. #33
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,260
    In Indiana, yes, as long as you have a carry permit. You cannot carry in Indiana, CC or OC without a permit.

  14. #34
    Holly's Avatar
    Holly is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    550
    I have read that it IS permitted in my state. Apparently you need a license that covers both concealed and open carry. I, of course, can not figure out how to obtain this special license... or maybe it isn't special... just the CCW?

  15. #35
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I have read that it IS permitted in my state. Apparently you need a license that covers both concealed and open carry. I, of course, can not figure out how to obtain this special license... or maybe it isn't special... just the CCW?
    as you will not tell us what state you live in, i cant help with this ...unless you want to send me a pm?

  16. #36
    45Sidekick's Avatar
    45Sidekick is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    308
    it is legal to open carry in alabama without a permit as long as you stay on foot, if you get in your car to go home, it is then considered concealed and requires you to have a permit.

  17. #37
    Holly's Avatar
    Holly is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    as you will not tell us what state you live in, i cant help with this ...unless you want to send me a pm?
    I surrender, since my husband's given it away once anyway. North Dakota.

  18. #38
    Holly's Avatar
    Holly is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    550
    Oh Mr. Bear...... I gave away my secret. Will you help me, please?

  19. #39
    eddiebritz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    29 Blesbok street, Fauna park, Polokwane, Limpopo province South Africa
    Posts
    5
    It is always interresting to read about the various laws and rules of diffirent places regarding the carry of handguns by civilians.

    In South Africa a civilian must have a LICENSE usued by the central (federal?) government to possess, carry and use a handgun for self defence purposes. One may not possess a fire arm untill the license to do so is in your possession. One must have a separate license for each individual gun you possesses. One can get only one license (have no more than one handgun) for self defence purposes.
    Time from applying for a license to the time it being issued currently about 3 years. A license for self defence is only valid for 5 years whereafter one must re-apply for such a license. One is not entitled to a fire arm license and must convince the fire arm license department that there is a real need for such a license before they will approve your application - not an easy thing to do.

    On the possitive side. If you have a license to possess for self defense you may carry the gun freely on your person (except for a few gun free zones) but MUST carry it concealed - no open carry allowed.
    If you have a license to carry you may carry your gun over the whole of the Republic of South Africa and in all its provinces (states?), districts (counties?) and in all metros, cities, towns, villages ect - no such thing as local gun ordinances, county gun laws or state gun laws. Our national (federal?) gun control act is the only law/rule applying to all guns in the country so I don't have to try and find out what silly little gun laws exists from one place to another in South Africa.

  20. #40
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Oh Mr. Bear...... I gave away my secret. Will you help me, please?
    calm down, takes a while to read thru all the laws...... so here goes the North Dakota open carry/concealed carry combo plan......

    open carry
    62.1-03-01. Carrying handgun - Restrictions - Exceptions.
    1. A handgun may be carried by a person not prohibited from possessing one by section
    62.1-02-01 or any other state statute, in a manner not prohibited by section 62.1-02-10
    if:
    a. Between the hours of one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset, the
    handgun is carried unloaded and either in plain view or secured.
    b. Between the hours of one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise, the
    handgun is carried unloaded and secured.


    so dawn to dusk UNLOADED open carry or secured* is legal
    then from dusk to dawn UNLOADED secured* carry is legal
    *(definition of secured is not given, i interpret it to mean concealed as it refers to UNLOADED carry)

    now for the part where your concealed weapons license effects your open carry restrictions.....

    62.1-03-01.
    1. Posted Above
    2. The restrictions provided in subdivisions a and b of subsection 1 DO NOT apply to:
    a. Any person possessing a valid North Dakota concealed weapons license
    or a
    valid license issued by another state authorizing the person to carry a dangerous
    weapon concealed if that state permits a holder of a valid North Dakota
    concealed weapons license to carry a dangerous weapon concealed in that state
    without obtaining a similar license from that state.


    so in section 2 your permit exempts you from the state wide restrictions of section 1.....

    now there may be other state restrictions or local ordinances and opencarry.org is your starting point. just go to the maps, click on your state and talk to the people on your forum, they will be a great help.

    but always remember, read and understand the laws for yourself, its YOUR ass

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i open carry in iowa

,

can you open carry in iowa

,

do you need a license to open carry

,

do you need a license to open carry in new mexico

,

do you need a permit to open carry

,
do you need a permit to open carry in wisconsin
,
iowa open carry
,
iowa open carry law
,
iowa open carry state
,

iowa open carry without permit

,
open carry in iowa
,
open carry iowa
Click on a term to search for related topics.