Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ebc85 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Cleveland ohio gun law question!

    Hello everyone I have a question about the Cleveland Ohio gun laws I am hoping to purchase a firearm real soon because the area I am living in is really turning bad,but I am concerned about the background check I have no criminal record at all, I only was issued a truancy ticket when i was 16 with that being said I am currently receiving ssi for some mental problems which have know been resolved.The mental issues I was having were a little bit of paranoia from smoking marijuana when i was a young adult but i am no longer doing any drugs i was hospitalized for 2 days as a result of the paranoia which was maybe 4 to 5 yrs ago no trouble since then.So i was wondering with me being on ssi hinder me from purchasing a firearm with the background check,is there anyone I could call to find out for sure if i will pass the check??.


    thanks any feedback would be highly appreciated

    {note the paranoia was not schizophrenia}

  2. #2
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    There are a number of sections in the Ohio Revised Code that may take precedence in this case.

    I am no lawyer and do not want to lead you astray.

    My suggestion is that you contact the Cuyahoga County Sheriff and ask them for advice. They may save you $55 for the background check.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    ebc85 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    I had no idea there was a charge for a background check,but i talked to the local atf office today and one agent said it would probably be ok he said disability was not a factor and the time in the hospital was ok because it was not court ordered.but one fbi agent said it would not go through.also i talked to a gun shop owner 2 of them said it would go through one didn't.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    199
    While I'm not 100% sure, I think the $55 fee SaltyDog talked about is to get a CCW permit. I don't recall ever being charged for the mandatory check when I bought something.

  5. #5
    Sully2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by ebc85 View Post
    I had no idea there was a charge for a background check,but i talked to the local atf office today and one agent said it would probably be ok he said disability was not a factor and the time in the hospital was ok because it was not court ordered.but one fbi agent said it would not go through.also i talked to a gun shop owner 2 of them said it would go through one didn't.

    Id be putting my $$ on the FBI agent!

  6. #6
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by thelonerang3r View Post
    While I'm not 100% sure, I think the $55 fee SaltyDog talked about is to get a CCW permit. I don't recall ever being charged for the mandatory check when I bought something.
    My bad - I thought we were talking a background check for a CCW - No fee for a gun purchase $55 is the fee for acquiring your CCW that you will pay the sheriff and it includes the background check.

  7. #7
    Top Gun Supply's Avatar
    Top Gun Supply is offline Supporting Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    128
    As long as you were not officially adjuticated by the courts to go into a mental hospital, there will be no record of it. The 4473 asks you if you are dependent on any drugs, so you really should be clean and answer all of the questions honestly.

  8. #8
    billy396 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun Supply View Post
    As long as you were not officially adjuticated by the courts to go into a mental hospital, there will be no record of it. The 4473 asks you if you are dependent on any drugs, so you really should be clean and answer all of the questions honestly.
    Top Gun is correct. You have not been adjuticated mentally incompetent so you have no worry. Just go to your gun store and buy whichever gun you want. The NICS check should go through with no problems whatsoever.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cleveland ohio ccw laws
,

cleveland ohio gun laws

,

gun laws in cleveland ohio

,
guns cleveland ohio
,

how to purchase a gun in cleveland ohio

,
ohio gun background check questions
,
ohio gun law questions
,
ohio gun purchase
,
ssi gun purchase nebraska
,
where to buy a gun in cleveland
,

where to buy real gun in cleveland ohio?

,
where to purchase handgun cleveland ohio
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1