Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    rccola712's Avatar
    rccola712 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    347

    Time Restraint Question

    Does anyone know if there is a time restraint on taking the ccw class and actually applying/obtaining the permit? Im hopefully going to be taking the class soon, but i havent decided yet if im definitly going to apply for my license (i know it would be a good idea, but ill be living on my university campus and most likely wont be able to carry much, so we'll just have to see) and dont want to take the class and then not be able to apply a year later.

    i looked at handgunlaw.us and found that it said training valid for no set time periord. am i safe to assume that this means there is no time limit? just wanted to double check thanks

    also, do you have to qualify with the same type of pistol you plan to carry? ie. revolver or semi auto?

  2. #2
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    You can qualify with what ever you feel most comfortable shooting. Doesn't have to be what you intend to carry. At least 2 people at my class were shooting .22 revolvers.

    Check with your Sheriff about how long after taking the class you have to apply. As you said nothing in the law limits the time, but nothing prevents a Sheriff from setting a time limit either. I have heard of some Sheriffs that what you to take the class within 1 year of the date you apply...
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  3. #3
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Hey rccola712 just because you have a CCW doesn't mean you have to carry.

    In Ohio your competency training - CCW class is good for 5 years. I have to take a renewal class every 5 years.

    According to the North Carolina Firearms Law

    A permit issued under the standards of state law is valid for a period of five (5) years.
    N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-403 A sheriff is required to keep a book, which is provided by the
    Board of Commissioners of each county, of all licenses or permits issued. These records
    should include the date of issuance, name, age, place of residence, and former place of
    residence of each person, firm, or corporation to whom a license or permit has been issued.
    N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-405

    So I am guessing the same thing there also, 5 years, but like Bruce said I'd check with your local Sheriff to be sure.

  4. #4
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    In Ohio your competency training - CCW class is good for 5 years. I have to take a renewal class every 5 years.
    NC does not require taking the class again for renewals. Only if the permit has expired, then they treat it like a new application and you have to take the class again.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  5. #5
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Hey rccola712 just because you have a CCW doesn't mean you have to carry.
    Bingo. If you're not going to carry, get it for the simple fact that you buy a gun whenever you want without having to go through the hassle of going to the Sheriff's office to apply for a permit, waiting a week, going back to the Sheriff's office, then going to the gun store. Think of all the time and gas you'd save. Hey! Having your permit is being "Green!"

  6. #6
    rccola712's Avatar
    rccola712 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Bingo. If you're not going to carry, get it for the simple fact that you buy a gun whenever you want without having to go through the hassle of going to the Sheriff's office to apply for a permit, waiting a week, going back to the Sheriff's office, then going to the gun store. Think of all the time and gas you'd save. Hey! Having your permit is being "Green!"
    hahaha, i think ive decided to try and increase my carbon footprint this year since everyone else is trying to decrease theirs.

    and because im not 21 yet, unless i want to wait the 3 months for the ccw, ill have to get the permit right when i turn 21 anyway, so thats not a huge issue, i may be dreaming this up, but is the permit good for 5 weapons? and one of the main reasons im thinking about not getting ccw is because i may be moving out of the state in a year or so when i graduate (whereever i can find a job) i would rather not spend $200 on a permit i can only get for a year and then have to get another one in a new state, plus as i mentioned earlier, i wouldnt be able to carry often as i would be on campus, and im not planning on buying any more handguns in the near future (if only i had the disposable income )

  7. #7
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
    hahaha, i think ive decided to try and increase my carbon footprint this year since everyone else is trying to decrease theirs.

    and because im not 21 yet, unless i want to wait the 3 months for the ccw, ill have to get the permit right when i turn 21 anyway, so thats not a huge issue, i may be dreaming this up, but is the permit good for 5 weapons? and one of the main reasons im thinking about not getting ccw is because i may be moving out of the state in a year or so when i graduate (whereever i can find a job) i would rather not spend $200 on a permit i can only get for a year and then have to get another one in a new state, plus as i mentioned earlier, i wouldnt be able to carry often as i would be on campus, and im not planning on buying any more handguns in the near future (if only i had the disposable income )
    IIRC one permit per weapon, but you can get up to 5 or 6 permits depending on the county. If you're only going to get one gun, not carry, and may be moving then not getting the CCW may be the best choice. The only other argument I can see to having it would be there's less to worry about when it comes to transportation to and from the range, i.e. where the gun is and whether it is loaded or not.

  8. #8
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce333 View Post
    NC does not require taking the class again for renewals. Only if the permit has expired, then they treat it like a new application and you have to take the class again.
    Got it. Thanks Bruce

    So from what I am reading here - correct me if I'm wrong - it sounds to me like NC is actually registering the weapon that you carry and you need a CC permit for each one?

  9. #9
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Got it. Thanks Bruce

    So from what I am reading here - correct me if I'm wrong - it sounds to me like NC is actually registering the weapon that you carry and you need a CC permit for each one?
    Nope. The only community with any kind of registration is Durham and that is only by special permission of the State Legislature. State law prohibits other communities from doing the same.

    NC has 2 "permits", so you need to be clear which one you are talking about.

    The purchase (transfer) permit is just for transfers of handguns and is issued by the County Sheriff after passing a background check. The Sheriff doesn't know what handgun you are getting with the permit or how you are getting it (buy, gift, inheritance). The person you are receiving the gun from keeps the permit. The purchase permit is really a left over from more discriminatory times, it is not shall issue but may issue, the law leaves it up to the Sheriffs discretion as to weather you are "of good moral character". It really needs to be repealed as the NICS check does the same thing as far as the background check. We keep trying and it keeps getting shot down, the bill was pulled this year after the Sheriffs Assoc. objected.

    The Concealed Handgun Permit has no indication of what gun you qualified with nor does it limit what handgun you can carry. It is good for any handgun you care to carry. Note that it is for handguns only, not other weapons as some other States allow. As Todd said it also eliminates the need for the purchase permit for handguns and the NICS check for long guns.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  10. #10
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce333 View Post
    The purchase (transfer) permit is just for transfers of handguns and is issued by the County Sheriff after passing a background check. The Sheriff doesn't know what handgun you are getting with the permit or how you are getting it (buy, gift, inheritance). The person you are receiving the gun from keeps the permit. The purchase permit is really a left over from more discriminatory times, it is not shall issue but may issue, the law leaves it up to the Sheriffs discretion as to weather you are "of good moral character". It really needs to be repealed as the NICS check does the same thing as far as the background check. We keep trying and it keeps getting shot down, the bill was pulled this year after the Sheriffs Assoc. objected.
    I see what you mean. That is confusing - you have the NICS, the FFL fills out a Form 4473 and you still have to register it with the local Sheriff. Interesting.

    The Concealed Handgun Permit has no indication of what gun you qualified with nor does it limit what handgun you can carry. It is good for any handgun you care to carry. Note that it is for handguns only, not other weapons as some other States allow. As Todd said it also eliminates the need for the purchase permit for handguns and the NICS check for long guns.
    Got it. So if you get your CCW it eleiminates the other nonsense above. Amazing what you have to go through to own a handgun.

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    I see what you mean. That is confusing - you have the NICS, the FFL fills out a Form 4473 and you still have to register it with the local Sheriff. Interesting.
    No. There is no registration with the Sheriff, with the exception of Durham County, here in NC. The Sheriff provides you with a purchase/transfer permit, that is all. As Bruce stated, the Sheriff has no idea what gun you are going to get with the permit, just that you are getting one.

  12. #12
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    I see what you mean. That is confusing - you have the NICS, the FFL fills out a Form 4473 and you still have to register it with the local Sheriff. Interesting.
    The purchase/transfer permit takes the place of the NICS check for handgun purchases from a dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    No. There is no registration with the Sheriff, with the exception of Durham County, here in NC. The Sheriff provides you with a purchase/transfer permit, that is all. As Bruce stated, the Sheriff has no idea what gun you are going to get with the permit, just that you are getting one.
    You go and get the purchase/transfer permit from the Sheriff before you get the gun. You give the permit to the person you are getting the gun from and that is the end of it.

    The Sheriff never knows what gun you got, how you got it, or even that you ever got one.
    All the Sheriff knows is that he gave you his permission to get a handgun.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  13. #13
    StatesRights's Avatar
    StatesRights is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a time restraint on taking the ccw class and actually applying/obtaining the permit? Im hopefully going to be taking the class soon, but i havent decided yet if im definitly going to apply for my license (i know it would be a good idea, but ill be living on my university campus and most likely wont be able to carry much, so we'll just have to see) and dont want to take the class and then not be able to apply a year later.

    i looked at handgunlaw.us and found that it said training valid for no set time periord. am i safe to assume that this means there is no time limit? just wanted to double check thanks

    also, do you have to qualify with the same type of pistol you plan to carry? ie. revolver or semi auto?
    I know this probably doesn't apply to you, but in Texas......
    - must be a handgun of .32 caliber or larger, no exceptions
    - qualify with revolver, can only carry revolver
    - qualify with semi-autoloader, can carry revolver and semi-autoloader
    - class and proficiency test good for 1 year
    - after obtaining license, it good until your first birthday after the 4-year anniversary of obtaining the license
    - license must be renewed every 5 years afterwards

    source: Texas Concealed Handgun Laws Handbook

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

buying a firearm as a gift for another person

,

time restraint for buying a gun

,

time restraint mean

,

what does time restraint mean

Click on a term to search for related topics.