View Poll Results: Generally speaking should everyone own a gun?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    32 35.16%
  • No

    53 58.24%
  • Other

    6 6.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,274
    No one except for me.

    I feel much safer that way.

  2. #22
    RadarContact's Avatar
    RadarContact is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    74

    Should everyone have a gun?

    Here's my analogy: it sorta falls along the same lines as "should everyone do their own home repair or construction?"

    I think if someone feels comfortable doing so, either possesses or is willing to acquire the necessary skills to do so, and wants to bear the responsibility for the safety of his workmanship...then sure, go for it. To all others, no. Rely on a friend who does, or depend on professionals.

  3. #23
    Smitty79's Avatar
    Smitty79 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    278
    Everyone shouldn't have one. But gun safety and basic marksmanship should be taught in school. Too many people vote against gun rights because they are ignorant of guns. They think that guns some how reach out and hurt people all by themselves.

  4. #24
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,260
    I voted yes. That way the idiots would start weeding themselves out a little faster, now that technology has been keeping natural selection at bay for the last several decades.

  5. #25
    tony pasley's Avatar
    tony pasley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    clyde n.c.
    Posts
    2,078
    I voted no there are to many stupid people out there.

  6. #26
    celt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chillicothe Illinois
    Posts
    46
    If you knew my boss you'd vote no also.

  7. #27
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty79 View Post
    Everyone shouldn't have one. But gun safety and basic marksmanship should be taught in school. Too many people vote against gun rights because they are ignorant of guns. They think that guns some how reach out and hurt people all by themselves.
    An excellent point!
    "Placement is power" -- seen in an article by Stephen A. Camp
    (RIP, Mr. Camp; you will be remembered, and missed)

  8. #28
    Ricky59's Avatar
    Ricky59 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    83
    I voted no...
    You can't hand someone a wrench and make them a mechanic ...
    Or hand them a gun and make them a shooter ...

  9. #29
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,417
    I voted yes, mainly because I defend the idea that every citizen should start out with the same basic right to own the implements necessary to provide for his own self defense.

    Obviously, there are people out there who lack the competence to be a responsible gun owner. Whether they have undocumented criminal tendencies, undiagnosed mental problems, or are just too stupid to be trusted with potentially dangerous machines, there are always going to be some of them out there wreaking havoc on polite society, with guns, automobles, kitchen appliances, workshop tools, or whatever.

    The problem is that a country that guarantees individual freedoms always has a government that suffers from the same maladies as any other government, in any other country - corruption and incompetence. Mostly, the people who actually want positions of power, within the government, are the very people who should not have them, because they usually believe in their own superiority, and because they tend to have agendas that don't necessarily appeal to or benefit the majority.

    What that means, relative to this subject, is that the people who we would naturally look to, to judge the competency of a citizen to have a gun, cannot be trusted to make honest and informed judgements, and can usually be counted on to make decisions that will do more to serve their personal agendas than to protect the individual freedoms of the people they purport to be representing. Most of them rise to such high positions through clever media skills and poll-watching expertise, rather than through any specific qualifications or experience that they possess. In other words, they are often wrong, or dishonest, in their assessments, because their first priority is furthering their own agendas.

    So, in my opinion, every adult who wants a gun should be allowed to buy one, until such time as it can be shown, through his own actions or behavior, that he is a danger to others. Obviously, that means we are going to continue to have tragedies at the hands of these kinds of folks, as we always have. But no government can improve that situation without undermining the liberties of the majority, who have done nothing to disqualify themselves from gun ownership. That is just a sad fact that we have to live with and adapt to, if we are to keep our individual freedoms. We cannot trust political opportunists to make 'preventive' laws, because they rarely work, and because every potential human failing cannot be anticipated and prepared for.

    You will never hear me say, "There ought to be a law..."

  10. #30
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    I voted yes, mainly because I defend the idea that every citizen should start out with the same basic right to own the implements necessary to provide for his own self defense.
    So you voted yes, but meant no. The question was should everyone have a gun, not should everyone have the right to own a gun. Two very different questions.

  11. #31
    joebeasley is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, TX
    Posts
    2
    I voted no. Far too many idiots in the world. In my opinion of course.

  12. #32
    JMessmer's Avatar
    JMessmer is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    121
    I don't think that I want the leftist gangster on the road next to me to have a gun. Only republicans should have guns.(Just kidding, although I've heard worst ideas...)

  13. #33
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by SMann View Post
    So you voted yes, but meant no. The question was should everyone have a gun, not should everyone have the right to own a gun. Two very different questions.
    Thanks for explaining that to me. Your reading comprehension is obviously superior to mine.

    Answering the question, as asked, results in answers that seem to suggest the opposite of what I wanted to say.

  14. #34
    plp
    plp is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    I voted 'other' because this is not a straight yes or no question.

    At the federal level I vote yes, all people should at least have the right to acquire, keep and bear arms whether or not they choose to actually have one or not.

    At the state, county, and municipal level I say no, because people through their actions may prove themselves incapable of upholding that right, just as many at that level prove themselves incapable of the privilege of driving an automobile.

    As the density of population increases in urban areas, interaction and conflict are the natural result. For the well being of the public domain, I can see situations where individual rights to carry a firearm may not be in the best interests of all involved. Las Vegas comes to mind, too much booze and too much aberrant behavior to trust everybody to play nice.

    That's why in Las Vegas I always left mine in a lockbox bolted to the floorboard of my truck. Get a half hour out of Vegas in any direction and a handgun for varmint control is just practical common sense.

  15. #35
    rolandrock is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    24
    Unless you are prepared to accept the responsibility and investment of time and money learning how to effectively use it, secure it and retain it, no.

  16. #36
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by plp View Post
    At the state, county, and municipal level I say no, because people through their actions may prove themselves incapable of upholding that right, just as many at that level prove themselves incapable of the privilege of driving an automobile.

    As the density of population increases in urban areas, interaction and conflict are the natural result. For the well being of the public domain, I can see situations where individual rights to carry a firearm may not be in the best interests of all involved. Las Vegas comes to mind, too much booze and too much aberrant behavior to trust everybody to play nice.
    So, the solution is to restrict the rights of people who behave responsibly, because some irresponsible person might carry while drinking and start shooting?

    That is exactly the same mindset liberal politicians have, in the current controversy.

  17. #37
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    I would think that it would be more reason to carry.....
    Quote Originally Posted by plp View Post
    I voted 'other' because this is not a straight yes or no question.

    At the federal level I vote yes, all people should at least have the right to acquire, keep and bear arms whether or not they choose to actually have one or not.

    At the state, county, and municipal level I say no, because people through their actions may prove themselves incapable of upholding that right, just as many at that level prove themselves incapable of the privilege of driving an automobile.

    As the density of population increases in urban areas, interaction and conflict are the natural result. For the well being of the public domain, I can see situations where individual rights to carry a firearm may not be in the best interests of all involved. Las Vegas comes to mind, too much booze and too much aberrant behavior to trust everybody to play nice.

    That's why in Las Vegas I always left mine in a lockbox bolted to the floorboard of my truck. Get a half hour out of Vegas in any direction and a handgun for varmint control is just practical common sense.

  18. #38
    plinker56 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    34
    Voted (other), Not sure that everyone "should" own a gun. I'm pro 2nd ammedment all the way but there are folks that for one reason or another do not need to own a gun. If they qualify lawfully and can pass proficiency testing and voluntarily want a gun good. But only if they want a gun, "should" should not mean mandatory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

every one should have a gun
,
everybody should have a gun
,

everyone should have a gun

,
everyone should own a gun
,
one gun everyone should have
,
should everybody have a gun with them
,

should everyone have a gun

,

should everyone own a gun

,
shouldeveryone own a gun
,
why everyone should have a gun
,
why should everyone have a gun
,
why should everyone own a gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.