Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
  1. #26
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    So you are saying it's easier to master a handgun than a long gun? And that people who are in the business of clearing buildings for a living that generally prefer long guns should really be using pistols? Also the spread of a shotgun at close ranges (inside a house) is not as wide as you are probably thinking. OP stated he is new to guns and lives alone. Your arguments against a shotgun for his situation are in my opinion slightly ridiculous.

  2. Ads
  3. #27
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by SMann View Post
    So you are saying it's easier to master a handgun than a long gun? And that people who are in the business of clearing buildings for a living that generally prefer long guns should really be using pistols? Also the spread of a shotgun at close ranges (inside a house) is not as wide as you are probably thinking. OP stated he is new to guns and lives alone. Your arguments against a shotgun for his situation are in my opinion slightly ridiculous.

    Opinions are like feet. We all have um, and they all stink to some degree or another.

    I was both military and LE, with vast experience in both.

    I stand-by my opinion, if you were infact, replying to me.

    BTW.....You want to know the real reason why most cops use a shotgun to clear a house or building?

    It's because they can't do it with a handgun. They don't feel confident enough. No chit!

  4. #28
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    Well, that settles that! I'm gonna' have to get rid of all my guns 'cause they won't work for home protection........................and get a dog!

  5. #29
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Well, that settles that! I'm gonna' have to get rid of all my guns 'cause they won't work for home protection........................and get a dog!

    Wait for a buy-back program to show up in your area.

    I've heard that you can get as much as $25.00 per firearm.

  6. #30
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,912
    Well, guys, we seem to have frightened the OP away.
    Maybe it'd've been better to hold the discussion for a while, and to wait until he responded to the first couple of ideas.

    Just a thought.

  7. #31
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Well, guys, we seem to have frightened the OP away.
    Maybe it'd've been better to hold the discussion for a while, and to wait until he responded to the first couple of ideas.

    Just a thought.

    Ideas and opinions are like firearms.

    Ya just can't seem to have too many.

  8. #32
    Harryball's Avatar
    Harryball is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp82 View Post
    Hi everyone. I’ll be honest - I’m very new to the world of guns – in fact, I’ve never shot anything except a BB gun. I am not looking to kill anyone, but I recently bought a house (single, living alone) and there has been a great deal of crime in my neighborhood recently. I plan on adding an alarm system within a month, but I’m wondering about my options as far as protection.

    I sure hope I would never have to use a gun, but just in case. Obviously I would be willing to practice with it and be comfortable with it, but I don’t really have time to take any kind of class (college + work). I’d like to get something and just get comfortable with it in my own time. I was hoping not to spend a TON of money, either, though I have no idea what to expect. I’ve read some of the other topics on here, and went through some of the recommendations, but didn’t know if there was anything specific anyone might recommend. Any thoughts?
    The Alarm system is a good start. A dog would be a nice addition to the alarm. That being said, a weapon in the home will help as well. You say you do not have the time to take a class. You can find classes that only take 4 hours. It will help you with the basics, which you DO need. You have the god given right to defend yourself anyway you see fit, just be careful and try to get it done the right way...


    Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1
    Well, guys, we seem to have frightened the OP away.
    Maybe it'd've been better to hold the discussion for a while, and to wait until he responded to the first couple of ideas.

    Just a thought.
    He asked for opinions, and is getting some.

  9. #33
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
    BTW.....You want to know the real reason why most cops use a shotgun to clear a house or building?

    It's because they can't do it with a handgun. They don't feel confident enough. No chit!
    Yet you recommend a person new to guns use a pistol? Your own argument works against you. Even highly trained military personnel with plenty of real experience don't use pistols for building clearing. I was military for many years as well.

  10. #34
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Here's another one
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Buying a gun is kinda' like buying a car. Would you let somebody recommend a cheap car for you? Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. You need to make time to try out some different guns just like you would make time to go at least check out a vehicle. If you hadn't driven a car before, would you just go buy one and "practice" when you got time? Not trying to be rude, just sayin' a lot of people with no gun experience think it's no big deal but you can save a lot of money by taking a class, renting some guns, and doing a little research before buying. If you are really a non shooter, you really need to get some instruction. Nothing wrong with asking for advice on a gun forum but don't depend on the internet to teach you what to buy and how to shoot. Just my two bits.

    Edit to add: First gun............get a Glock 19 or 17. Relatively inexpensive, shoots everytime you pull the trigger, and once you get familiar with shooting and want to buy someting else, you can always sell your Glock.

  11. #35
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Get a Glock first, then, once you know what your doing, you can sell it........

  12. #36
    Sgt45's Avatar
    Sgt45 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    164
    Getting the proper mindset first is paramount. If you aren't ready, willing and able to kill someone, don't have a gun. If you do, it will most likely be taken from you and used on you. I prefer pistols over shotguns, but that's what I know best. I don't like shoties, but there are those that feel most comfortable with them. Use what you feel most comfortable with. Whatever you have at hand can be made to work, YOU are the most valuable and deadly tool. Training is an absolute must and not just training with the gun, but training on the laws in your area. You may win the gunfight, but end up in prison for a very long time if you screw things up. Remember, holes if front are good, holes in back are not. If you decide to get a gun you MUST practice, practice, practice. The gun should be second nature to you and everything about it should be muscle memory. A lot to chew on and a ton of responsibility goes with owning a firearm. Good luck, ask questions hope to see you around the forum.

  13. #37
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by SMann View Post
    Yet you recommend a person new to guns use a pistol? Your own argument works against you. Even highly trained military personnel with plenty of real experience don't use pistols for building clearing. I was military for many years as well.

    Just because a person is new to firearms, doesn't mean they shouldn't start out with a handgun.

    They're going to have to know how to use one sooner or later. Handguns can be less intimidating than a shotgun, and much more practical.

  14. #38
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Which brings us back full circle....should a newbie that doesn't want to get any training, get a Glock.....hell no.
    Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
    Just because a person is new to firearms, doesn't mean they shouldn't start out with a handgun.

    They're going to have to know how to use one sooner or later. Handguns can be less intimidating than a shotgun, and much more practical.

  15. #39
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Which brings us back full circle....should a newbie that doesn't want to get any training, get a Glock.....hell no.

    I must have missed the part about him not wanting any training.

    And no, a Glock wouldn't be a good gun to learn on. Not saying that it can't be done, but there's far too many other user friendly guns to consider.

  16. #40
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,912
    ...Doesn't matter. The newbie who asked the question is long gone.

  17. #41
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp82 View Post
    Hi everyone. Iíll be honest - Iím very new to the world of guns Ė in fact, Iíve never shot anything except a BB gun. I am not looking to kill anyone, but I recently bought a house (single, living alone) and there has been a great deal of crime in my neighborhood recently. I plan on adding an alarm system within a month, but Iím wondering about my options as far as protection.

    I sure hope I would never have to use a gun, but just in case. Obviously I would be willing to practice with it and be comfortable with it, but I donít really have time to take any kind of class (college + work). Iíd like to get something and just get comfortable with it in my own time. I was hoping not to spend a TON of money, either, though I have no idea what to expect. Iíve read some of the other topics on here, and went through some of the recommendations, but didnít know if there was anything specific anyone might recommend. Any thoughts?


    Get a revolver, like a S&W model 66 with a 4" barrel. You can shoot both .38 and .357 in it.

    Nothing wrong with a good quality revolver. A lot easier to use than a semi-auto.

  18. #42
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Maybe??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    ...Doesn't matter. The newbie who asked the question is long gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •