Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 54
  1. #26
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
    I am thinking about and looking at the S&W SD9/40 as a gun choice for me. It is on my list to look at.
    If you are going to get a Smith and Wesson it is highly advisable that you go with the M&P over the SD9/40. Even the Ruger SR9/40 is preferable to the SD9/40

    Price seems to be your main concern which if your looking for something that fires bullets is kind of a dangerous criteria to set for yourself. You seem like you are the kind of person who is going to only own ONE handgun in your lifetime. You should make that ONE handgun a quality firearm so you never have to buy another one ever again.

    If it means buying a used Glock / M&P / or whatever do it! But yest the new Ruger SR9 will work for around 300 and something.

  2. Ads
  3. #27
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jm38 View Post
    Now that's a real "UP-GRADE" junk for junk.......
    Junk? Really?

    Just curious.....do you speak from experience or have you been listening to the "I've got a friend, that has a cousin, that knows a guy with a friend that has a (insert brand to be bashed here) and he said......" stories? They seem to be ALL OVER the internet. Not much in the way of first hand horror stories though. Most first hand reports are generally favorable.

    In most cases, 90% of Hi Point bashers have NO actual experience with the brand. Third and fourth hand stories are the basis of their determination. We ALL know how stories are embellished as they get passed down..........

  4. #28
    s1mp13m4n is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    46
    Just for giggles I was trying to get my hands on a hi point to hold, look at, and shoot at my local gun store/range. They do not have any in stock and do not rent them. They rent Rugur, S&W, Springfield, and Glock. Kinda hard to see what all the good or bad press about a Hi-Point when I can not find one locally to behold. The local pawn shop here only sells riffles and shot guns.

  5. #29
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
    Junk? Really?

    Just curious.....do you speak from experience or have you been listening to the "I've got a friend, that has a cousin, that knows a guy with a friend that has a (insert brand to be bashed here) and he said......" stories? They seem to be ALL OVER the internet. Not much in the way of first hand horror stories though. Most first hand reports are generally favorable.

    In most cases, 90% of Hi Point bashers have NO actual experience with the brand. Third and fourth hand stories are the basis of their determination. We ALL know how stories are embellished as they get passed down..........
    Please buy one and put a thousand rounds through it and report back.

  6. #30
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    Please buy one and put a thousand rounds through it and report back.
    Already did that. Not a single hiccup with that piece of junk. Damned POS!

    Just out of curiosity, how about yourself? Ever shot one?

  7. #31
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,380
    Nope, but I think I may have lit a cigarette with one, along time ago.

  8. #32
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    Nope, but I think I may have lit a cigarette with one, along time ago.
    ....thought that would be the case. Pretty typical actually. Gotta' be junk though huh?

  9. #33
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,923
    lapetrarca;
    It's understandable that you would not want your choice of pistol "bashed," and would therefore defend it.
    Nevertheless, Zymak is not the very best material from which to make a self-defense pistol—or a pair of pliers, or a hammer, for that matter, all of which have indeed been made of Zymak at one time or another. A Zymak gun may work now, but I am not sure that I would trust it to work all of the time, and particularly when I need it the most.
    If, for just a bit more money, you could buy a well-designed, machined-steel—or even partly cast-plastic—pistol, you might not want to hazard the $200.00 required to purchase a cast-Zymak gun. You wouldn't have to actually buy one and shoot it, to know that it's not as good.
    That's called "critical thinking." As in: I don't have to actually join the Communist Party, to know that I don't want to be a Communist. As in: I don't have to actually eat fecal material, in order to know that I don't want to make it a part of my diet. And so on.

  10. #34
    swany66675's Avatar
    swany66675 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    65

    Re: Should a newbie consider a Hi-Point firearm?

    My thought is your buying something to hold what amounts to a small shaped charge. Why take a chance on what may be an inferior containment vessel when for just a little more you can by something with a proven track record. But I'm may be just a little overly attached to my fingers and eyes. I view it as prudence, or maybe I'm just overly cautious.

  11. #35
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    SteveM.....

    Truth be told. I don't have a dog in this fight any more. I sold my Hi Point to buy my S&W "junk". Seems odd referring to S&W as "junk" but I guess that's another thread.

    My point was that it's almost ALWAYS the ones that have NEVER seen, held or shot a Hi Point that bash them.

  12. #36
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
    ...My point was that it's almost ALWAYS the ones that have NEVER seen, held or shot a Hi Point that bash them.
    Critical Thinking: You don't actually have to do something, or actually experience it, in order to rationally decide that you don't want to do it or to experience it. You can make a completely rational, well-informed decision based entirely upon actual facts, particularly those seen in a manufacturer's own brochure, or discussed by users whose opinions you trust.

  13. #37
    s1mp13m4n is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    46
    Did we get off topic a bit? LOL The "OP" has spoken. LOL (just having fun)

  14. #38
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Even though I do not have any statistics to support my theory, basically because no studies have been done, that I am aware of....... I do believe that there could be a correlation between the purchasing/shooting of Highpoint firearms and the eating of feces......accomplishing one, without getting hurt, may sway someone towards the other. It could have something to do with the amount of zinc in both, along with the weight, aesthetics, and ease of cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    lapetrarca;
    It's understandable that you would not want your choice of pistol "bashed," and would therefore defend it.
    Nevertheless, Zymak is not the very best material from which to make a self-defense pistol—or a pair of pliers, or a hammer, for that matter, all of which have indeed been made of Zymak at one time or another. A Zymak gun may work now, but I am not sure that I would trust it to work all of the time, and particularly when I need it the most.
    If, for just a bit more money, you could buy a well-designed, machined-steel—or even partly cast-plastic—pistol, you might not want to hazard the $200.00 required to purchase a cast-Zymak gun. You wouldn't have to actually buy one and shoot it, to know that it's not as good.
    That's called "critical thinking." As in: I don't have to actually join the Communist Party, to know that I don't want to be a Communist. As in: I don't have to actually eat fecal material, in order to know that I don't want to make it a part of my diet. And so on.

  15. #39
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,923
    berettabone, you show all of the earmarks of a true scientist!
    I suggest that you apply to the federal government for a study grant, so that you might develop useful statistical information for us all.

  16. #40
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    ummmmm....you guys DO know that the brake housings, alternator housings and several other CRITICAL, cast parts of many modern vehicles, are made of Zamak? Oh yeah....airplanes too! Now there's some critical" stuff for ya'!

    Again, I don't have a dog in this fight but, as I stated earlier, the bashers are most often those with no exposure to the product. If you want to apply those "critical thinking skills", you should at least make sure the facts are gathered from legitimate sources and not based on third and fourth hand accounts.

    Applying those "critical thinking skills" to incorrect data or assumptions could get you killed some day!

  17. #41
    swany66675's Avatar
    swany66675 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    65

    Re: Should a newbie consider a Hi-Point firearm?

    I've shot a high point my mother had bought one, I gave her my xd and told her to sell the high point.

  18. #42
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by swany66675 View Post
    I've shot a high point my mother had bought one, I gave her my xd and told her to sell the high point.
    Now THERE'S some critical thinking for ya'! I commend you for making a decision based on facts and personal experience and NOT someone else's pre-conceived notion.

    That's good stuff right there!

  19. #43
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
    Applying those "critical thinking skills" to incorrect data or assumptions could get you killed some day!
    Applying "those critical thinking skills" would actually help you smoke out incorrect data or assumptions....or suspect testimonials.

  20. #44
    lapetrarca53 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    Applying "those critical thinking skills" would actually help you smoke out incorrect data or assumptions....or suspect testimonials.
    Thank you for finally seeing the light!

    As I've been stating, the majority of bashers have no exposure or experience with the product so, yes, by applying "critical thinking" skills based on heresay and someone else's expectations, a testimonial as to whether or not a product is fit for use by an individual with no REAL experience with the product becomes suspect IMMEDIATELY!

  21. #45
    s1mp13m4n is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    46
    We have an interesting topic I think. Sometimes I can really pick em'. Seriously, I have never seen a Hi-Point handgun in person and I can not find one locally to see and and have something to go on. My local pawn shop does not sell handguns and my local gun shop does not sell Hi-Point and they told me to avoid them basically saying they are junk. It is kinda hard to make up my own mind when I can not locate one. LOL

  22. #46
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
    Thank you for finally seeing the light!

    As I've been stating, the majority of bashers have no exposure or experience with the product so, yes, by applying "critical thinking" skills based on heresay and someone else's expectations, a testimonial as to whether or not a product is fit for use by an individual with no REAL experience with the product becomes suspect IMMEDIATELY!
    Now you're starting to 'get it.'

    By the same token, a person who comes out in favor of a product is just one person who liked their experience with it - not statistical proof, worthy of a defense to the death. Your wonderful experience with a Hi Point carries no more empirical weight than that other guy on the Internet who likes them.

  23. #47
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    If it was such a fine firearm, why did you get rid of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
    Thank you for finally seeing the light!

    As I've been stating, the majority of bashers have no exposure or experience with the product so, yes, by applying "critical thinking" skills based on heresay and someone else's expectations, a testimonial as to whether or not a product is fit for use by an individual with no REAL experience with the product becomes suspect IMMEDIATELY!

  24. #48
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    I contacted my local Federal agency concerning study grants available.......they told me, due to the fact that more Americans were using food stamps, the forgiveness of college loan interest, free contraceptives, Obamacare, the Dream Act, and the continuing fight at our borders...there would be no grant money available for at least the next four years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    berettabone, you show all of the earmarks of a true scientist!
    I suggest that you apply to the federal government for a study grant, so that you might develop useful statistical information for us all.

  25. #49
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,923
    OK, well, maybe lapetrarca would be interested in contributing...

  26. #50
    Nanuk's Avatar
    Nanuk is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    In the immortal words of Nancy Reagan " Just say NO!" .



    Just out of curiosity, how about yourself? Ever shot one?
    Never tried man love either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

eaa sar b6 problems

,
is smith and wesson sd9 better than hi point c9
,
p95 vs sar arms b6p
,
p95 vs sar b6
,
sar 9mm vs hipoint
,
sar arms b6p vs stoeger cougar 9mm
,

sar b6

,

sar b6 problems

,
sar b6p vs high point 9mm
,

sar b6p vs high point c9

,
sar b6p vs p95
,
sarb6p vs springfield
Click on a term to search for related topics.