Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Hoosier Hunter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9

    What do these letter abreviations stand for? S&W, M&P, etc......

    Okay so I'm a novice when it comes to handguns and I am just trying to figure out what these tyope of lettering's mean. I have noticed several like a .40 S+W, or .45 ACP, M&P and etc..... Can anyone tell me where to find a list of such things and what they mean. What make them different than another model of the same caliber?

  2. #2
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is online now Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hunter View Post
    Okay so I'm a novice when it comes to handguns and I am just trying to figure out what these tyope of lettering's mean. I have noticed several like a .40 S+W, or .45 ACP, M&P and etc..... Can anyone tell me where to find a list of such things and what they mean. What make them different than another model of the same caliber?
    A complete list would take days to post, but I'll take a crack at what you have so far...

    S&W = Smith & Wesson
    M&P = Military & Police (Does not indicate Mil and Police use only)
    .40S&W = is a caliber, .40S&W (see S&W above, multiple guns from different makers can be chambered in this, not just Smith & Wesson firearms)
    .45ACP = Caliber, .45 ACP is for Automatic Colt Pistol, again more than just Colts are chambered in this caliber, .45ACP also = .45 Auto

    There's a couple places that have lists

    Defensive Carry Guide to Ammo Acronyms and Features

    Defensive Carry Guide to Some Web Acronyms


    Bullet Glossary
    Web Acronyms / Firearms Terms

    As for what makes "X" different than other makes of the same caliber, that really depend on exact models you're talking about. As of right now you're asking what makes "X" different that the rest of the entire alphabet.

  3. #3
    Hoosier Hunter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    A complete list would take days to post, but I'll take a crack at what you have so far...

    S&W = Smith & Wesson
    M&P = Military & Police (Does not indicate Mil and Police use only)
    .40S&W = is a caliber, .40S&W (see S&W above, multiple guns from different makers can be chambered in this, not just Smith & Wesson firearms)
    .45ACP = Caliber, .45 ACP is for Automatic Colt Pistol, again more than just Colts are chambered in this caliber, .45ACP also = .45 Auto

    There's a couple places that have lists

    Defensive Carry Guide to Ammo Acronyms and Features

    Defensive Carry Guide to Some Web Acronyms


    Bullet Glossary
    Web Acronyms / Firearms Terms

    As for what makes "X" different than other makes of the same caliber, that really depend on exact models you're talking about. As of right now you're asking what makes "X" different that the rest of the entire alphabet.
    Ok I always thought that S&W stood for Smith & Wesson. What I don't understand is this, say a Beretta .40 S&W, how does that differ from a Beretta .40? Is there any difference ? Why would one have S&W behind it? Thanks for being patient with a newbie trying to learn.

  4. #4
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hunter View Post
    Ok I always thought that S&W stood for Smith & Wesson. What I don't understand is this, say a Beretta .40 S&W, how does that differ from a Beretta .40? Is there any difference ? Why would one have S&W behind it? Thanks for being patient with a newbie trying to learn.
    They don't differ in this case, .40 S&W is your usual .40 caliber pistol round; the S&W is sometimes dropped for convenience.

    KG

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hunter View Post
    Ok I always thought that S&W stood for Smith & Wesson. What I don't understand is this, say a Beretta .40 S&W, how does that differ from a Beretta .40? Is there any difference ? Why would one have S&W behind it? Thanks for being patient with a newbie trying to learn.
    Smith & Wesson designed the cartridge.
    For instance: The .44 Magnum is actually .44 Remington Magnum. These days, I don't think Remington even makes anything chambered for it. Very much like: Sony designed the Blue Ray disk, but anyone can make a player for it. There's a lot of this sort of thing with firearms. Don't get too caught up in it. If at times it gets confusing, Wikipedia is actually quite helpful.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges
    Later, you can have fun with the various discrepancies of actual bullet diameter vs. a cartridge's given name.

  6. #6
    Hoosier Hunter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
    Smith & Wesson designed the cartridge.
    For instance: The .44 Magnum is actually .44 Remington Magnum. These days, I don't think Remington even makes anything chambered for it. Very much like: Sony designed the Blue Ray disk, but anyone can make a player for it. There's a lot of this sort of thing with firearms. Don't get too caught up in it. If at times it gets confusing, Wikipedia is actually quite helpful.
    List of handgun cartridges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Later, you can have fun with the various discrepancies of actual bullet diameter vs. a cartridge's given name.

    Quote Originally Posted by kg333 View Post
    They don't differ in this case, .40 S&W is your usual .40 caliber pistol round; the S&W is sometimes dropped for convenience.

    KG
    Thanks, now I understand. I really was making it more confusing than it really was.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

what does .45 acp mean
,
what does 45 acp mean
,
what does acp stand for in guns
,
what does m and p stand for smith and wesson
,

what does m&p mean

,

what does m&p stand for

,
what does m&p stand for smith and wesson
,
what does s&w mean on a gun
,
what does s&w mean on a pistol
,
what does s&w stand for
,
what does s&w stand for gun
,
what does smith and wesson m&p stand for
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1