Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Louisianadale is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Scot Louisiana
    Posts
    27

    suggestions wanted

    First let me explain my situation. I am not new to guns or even handguns. I have handled them in the past with accuracy. When we started having kids about 30 years ago with lots of begging from my wife I put my guns up and haven't shot in many years. I recently purchased a S&W sigma SW40VE. I went to the range and find that no matter what I do I am consistently hitting low and to the right. I have tied varying my stance and anything I can think of. Of course I find the trigger pull a lot harder than any guns I have ever shot. I have wondered if this could be the cause? I really enjoyed shooting when I was younger and want to enjoy it again. I was always dead on before. Any suggestions?

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisianadale View Post
    First let me explain my situation. I am not new to guns or even handguns. I have handled them in the past with accuracy. When we started having kids about 30 years ago with lots of begging from my wife I put my guns up and haven't shot in many years. I recently purchased a S&W sigma SW40VE. I went to the range and find that no matter what I do I am consistently hitting low and to the right. I have tied varying my stance and anything I can think of. Of course I find the trigger pull a lot harder than any guns I have ever shot. I have wondered if this could be the cause? I really enjoyed shooting when I was younger and want to enjoy it again. I was always dead on before. Any suggestions?

    I am going to guess that you are a Lefty. Am I right?

    If so you are doing what 80% or more new shooter do.

    Righty will shoot low left. Lefty shoots low right.

    You probably are pushing the gun away from your hand while pulling that stiff trigger. Try using less finger on the trigger ie. more towards the tip. If that doesn't help then use more.

  4. #3
    wickedrider is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    28
    I don't have one and don't actually know where it is located, but there are charts that show what various hits on targets indicate.

  5. #4
    Louisianadale is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Scot Louisiana
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I am going to guess that you are a Lefty. Am I right?

    If so you are doing what 80% or more new shooter do.

    Righty will shoot low left. Lefty shoots low right.

    You probably are pushing the gun away from your hand while pulling that stiff trigger. Try using less finger on the trigger ie. more towards the tip. If that doesn't help then use more.
    That's funny I do have mu whole finger on the trigger, but I am right handed. I'll try less finger though thanks.

  6. #5
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    the 40VE has a pretty stiff trigger and it takes a while to get that figured out. Also any people will do that muzzle drop bracing for the recoil and not really know they are doing it. I ha da guy putting a snap cap somewhere in a mag for another guy so he didn't know when it would NOT go off and you could see the flinch pretty big.

    Like I said these two things make the 40VE a little tricky at first. It's a light weapon with a pretty heavy (around 12 lb) trigger and the snappy 40 round makes people pick up habits they didn't know they have sometimes. So getting to where the trigger is not pulling you off target couples with any flinch will get the round off target. I had one though and it's easily trained to be able ot shoot it as well or better than any other weapon. It just takes a little time ot get used to it.

  7. #6
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisianadale View Post
    That's funny I do have mu whole finger on the trigger, but I am right handed. I'll try less finger though thanks.
    Looks like I blew it first try Louisiana. The chart say's you must be thumbing it, using too much trigger or tightening grip while pulling trigger.

    If having your whole finger on the trigger means you are past the first joint it is too much finger for sure.

    Play around with grip and finger position and it will work out.

    Have fun while doing so.


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •