Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    DjAj is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    New to guns and the forums

    Hello, Im new to handguns and new to this forums.

    Basically im interested in getting a pistol for target practicing and protection. At this point im reading up and researching. I will be interested in purchasing a gun, but that is down the road. Before I do that, I would like to take some sort of safety class so any info on that would be great. BTW im in the Chicago area and 27 if that helps.

    I have already applied for my permit.

    I would also like to know of some good literature to pick up that would help in learning the principals of owning a handgun.

    I have been browsing around for a while and this place has a wealth of knowledge

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    rccola712's Avatar
    rccola712 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    347
    try going to corneredcat.com

    ive enjoyed reading alot on there, its a helpful website, welcome to the forum!

  4. #3
    Pistolero's Avatar
    Pistolero is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    297
    Welcome from Alaska.

  5. #4
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    Welcome to the forums. heck out the new to forum threads and you'll see a ton of info about a ton of weapons.

  6. #5
    banjar's Avatar
    banjar is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    603
    Welcome from North Carolina.

  7. #6
    scottaschultz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arr6 View Post
    I would also like to know of some good literature to pick up that would help in learning the principals of owning a handgun.
    Welcome from your neighbor in Missouri.

    To answer your question, join the NRA! http://www.nra.org/

    Scott

  8. #7
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Welcome from Northern Colorado.

    -Jeff-

  9. #8
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Arr6 View Post
    I will be interested in purchasing a gun, but that is down the road. Before I do that, I would like to take some sort of safety class so any info on that would be great.

    I would also like to know of some good literature to pick up that would help in learning the principals of owning a handgun.

    Info on safety classes would be best found at your local gunshops. There isn't any federal authority that regulates any kind of certification of instructors, but the National Rifle Assoc. has their own certification system. Although using an NRA-certified instructor doesn't guarantee you good instruction, you will have a better chance of getting good instrucion by using one.

    The NRA is a good place for information on gun ownership, and I think they maintain a list of instructors as well.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkwood MO
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Arr6 View Post
    Hello, Im new to handguns and new to this forums.

    Basically im interested in getting a pistol for target practicing and protection. At this point im reading up and researching. I will be interested in purchasing a gun, but that is down the road. Before I do that, I would like to take some sort of safety class so any info on that would be great. BTW im in the Chicago area and 27 if that helps.

    I have already applied for my permit.

    I would also like to know of some good literature to pick up that would help in learning the principals of owning a handgun.

    I have been browsing around for a while and this place has a wealth of knowledge
    Welcome!

    This is more for future reference but don't hesitate to come here if you're looking for principles of owning a handgun. Being a responsible firearms owner and abiding by the laws of your area (be it state or local) should be covered by a training class and instructor, but what you do after that can largely be covered here. I'm fairly certain that is why this forum exists!

    Good luck!

  11. #10
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Welcome from southeast Texas.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •