Locking up home defense weapon.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 32
    1. #1
      Junior Member ModernElite's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      North Virginia
      Posts
      10

      Locking up home defense weapon.

      Just wondering what the ideas are concerning locking up your home defense fire arm?

      I don't own a firearm yet, but my initial feeling is that it would increase the time you can get to your weapon and possibly defend yourself in a contingency. Is it worth the other safety concerns, i.e. not letting some idiot in the house or kids get to it?

      I live in a basement apartment and there are no kids in the house so I assumed when I get my firearm that I would leave it in open storage, not inside a safe or with a lock on it.

      p.s. sorry if this is redundant with some of the responses in the "Looking for a specific safe" thread.

    2. #2
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      I don't lock up whatever weapon I have out for defense. That's not where it needs to be. It needs to be with me. It's on me most all the time less I'm at my desk for a while then it's on my desk. I put on my night stand when I lay down. I don't have kids around the house much anymore.

      If one was to have kids in the house it's your job as a parent to teach children to never touch a firearm. I taught my kids early and often that guns are not toys and they are very dangerous for kids to handle without proper supervision. My kids are grown and still would never touch a firearm in my house unless it is me that is handing it to them.

    3. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      85
      I dont whats the point I know hwere its at and so does my wife. its ready to rock and roll

    4. #4
      Member kev74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Orange County, NY
      Posts
      985
      Quote Originally Posted by DevilsJohnson View Post
      I don't lock up whatever weapon I have out for defense. That's not where it needs to be. It needs to be with me. It's on me most all the time less I'm at my desk for a while then it's on my desk. I put on my night stand when I lay down. I don't have kids around the house much anymore.

      If one was to have kids in the house it's your job as a parent to teach children to never touch a firearm. I taught my kids early and often that guns are not toys and they are very dangerous for kids to handle without proper supervision. My kids are grown and still would never touch a firearm in my house unless it is me that is handing it to them.
      I agree with teaching kids to respect firearms, but for the first couple of years when children aren't able to comprehend the dangers involved, its the parents' responsibility to make sure the little ones can't get their hands on a firearm. I have a 2 year old running around the house, so if I'm not currently holding one of my guns, it gets locked in a safe. I'd rather take my chances and have a slower reaction time in the event of a home invasion (less likely) than risk the chance of an accident in the home (more likely with a small child).

    5. #5
      Junior Member JackCrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Posts
      59
      Since you don't have children, and I assume this means no friends or relatives bring their children over either, then there is nothing wrong with having your defense firearm easily accessable.

      However, if you do not CCW and leave the weapon at home when you leave then I would stongly recommend that you aquire the means to secure it while you are gone. In many places if a weapon is stolen you are liable for any crime committed with until you have reported the theft to police. A small handgun safe is relatively inexpensive insurance. And should you have visitors with small children, it gives you a place for your firearm that you can be positive is secure. Take it from me, kids are born with a talent for finding even the most cleverly hidden items.

    6. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Tucson, AZ
      Posts
      51
      IMO as long as your responsible with your gun, its more useful not locked up

    7. #7
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      Quote Originally Posted by kev74 View Post
      I agree with teaching kids to respect firearms, but for the first couple of years when children aren't able to comprehend the dangers involved, its the parents' responsibility to make sure the little ones can't get their hands on a firearm. I have a 2 year old running around the house, so if I'm not currently holding one of my guns, it gets locked in a safe. I'd rather take my chances and have a slower reaction time in the event of a home invasion (less likely) than risk the chance of an accident in the home (more likely with a small child).
      Well speaking of toddlers of course you are going to have them out of reach. But you can do that and still have easy access to your weapon. They are short, it's nor hard to child proof doors and drawers and still be able to get it open quickly. They make those little plastic thingys that keep small children from opening doors under sinks where cleaning supplied might be kept and also drawers that might have sharp things. I used them back when I had little people roaming around the house. It's a good idea to keep little fingers out of many things until they are old enough to explain that there are dangers even inside your own home if their not careful.

    8. #8
      Senior Member HGF Gold Member unpecador's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      California
      Posts
      1,862
      Generally speaking, if you have a reason to lock up your gun at anytime then that's what you should do. Otherwise, keeping it unlocked, loaded, and within your reach would be ideal in a home defense situation.

    9. #9
      Junior Member FlaChef's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      66
      with a toddler in the house we keep ours in a gun vault mounted to the nightstand (fast enough for us since three dogs will give us enough warning to get to them).

    10. #10
      Member clanger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      So. Cal.
      Posts
      515

      In safe I trust....

      In Ca. we (GP) cannot CCW outside of our homes.

      So when I get up, the burner goes back in the safe and stays there 'till I get home. For many reasons.

      Firstly- Ca. law says if a minor gets your gun and someone gets hurt, it's a felony and you take a nice long ride up the river. Bye-bye life and all your guns.

      Secondly- and no less important: I've never been a fan of stashing loaded fireams around my home. Same is a great way to catch one of your own bullets should someone come home before you do. It never made sense to me when I was younger and still does'nt. If a firearm is out it is always, always within my reach each and every second and not concealed, for a lot of reasons. I don't need 4-5 stashed about my home under cuhsions, behind doors, in drawers etc. That stuff's for the movies IMHO.

      Thirdly- should somone break in, they are going to have one heck of a time trying to get any of my firearms if they are locked up. There's other things they can get to much easier while they toss the joint and don't find anything under cushions, in drawers etc. NRA has some stats on how many firearms are stolen each year. Pretty sobering.

      A 3-400$ gun safe pays for itself in peace of mind. If I'm away from my firearms, they are locked up tight.

    11. #11
      Member undrgrnd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      South East, Tx
      Posts
      252
      I have several weapons and my home defense weapon since it is prsctical for the wife is a .38 revolver. I have a 20 month old and one on the way. I keep my other pistols loaded and in a safe. my .38 is stashed out of reach for the kiddo but I can get to it within seconds. I keep a 12 guage with 00 buck on the other side of my night stand. no matter where I'm at in my house I can easily arm myself within second but none of them except the 12 are even remotely accessible to the child. I spent 500 on my safe and it was the best investment I've ever made for piece of mind. it weighs in at just under 600 lbs but when you are not at home you know ur weapons are safe and that if someone does break in they will have hell moving it and will surely be noticed trying to take it.

    12. #12
      Junior Member ModernElite's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      North Virginia
      Posts
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by clanger View Post
      Same is a great way to catch one of your own bullets should someone come home before you do. It never made sense to me when I was younger and still does'nt.
      Never really thought about that. Once I get my fire arm I will definitely get a safe to lock it up when I'm not there and just leave it unlocked or with me when I am.

    13. #13
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      101
      This is a great thread; I keep my gun locked in a gun safe. I’ve never thought about having it loaded outside the safe. That said I have a loaded clip next to it ready to go. I also have an 85 lbs. German shepherd alarm system out side that will give me plenty of time to get my gun.

      Unless there’s a reason I leave it in the safe at all times. But that’s just me.

    14. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9
      Bottom line.

      You are responsible for your firearm. It does not matter where it is located. Auto, boat, home or cruise ship. The only way to insure that everyone is 100% safe is to have the gun locked in a simple lockbox with a Simplex style (5 button) or similar lockbox that allows accquisition within 3 seconds if needed. ( I have a Cannon")

      Not everyone on this forum has the need for these types of 'safes' as they have no children. But, consider this; 1) You have friends over with children present. Child wanders into BR and tradedy! We don't need this scenario.
      2) You have friends over for a party, they become innebriated and find your gun by accident after banging some chickadee in your bedroom. 3) Some bad character gets in your house and finds your unlocked home defense tool and either waits for you to get home to rob you, or decides to go on a crime spree.

      Where do you want to keep your house gun 24/7? In a quick access safe.
      I happen to have one close directly under my bed, and a second on the first floor of the house under the sofa. These will give you peace of mind and near immediate access to a lethal defensive highly secured in your home.

      Well worth the couple hundred bucks. What is it worth in order to protect your family from guns that they may not be familiar with, and to be able to protect them from someone who has no agenda other than to steal, rape and pillage an innocent victim and their family.

      Google "Simplex' lock and handgun. I'm sure you will find some good info.

    15. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      55
      Very good points! Home defense is about more than just firearms. Good physical security should not be overlooked. It may take me a few extra seconds to get my handgun, but hopefully my physical security measures (locks, lighting, alarm, and my two large dogs) should buy me some extra time.

    16. #16
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      423
      So, what kind of small, quick access handgun safe would you all recommend?

    17. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by jdeere9750 View Post
      So, what kind of small, quick access handgun safe would you all recommend?
      I wouldn't recommend the Homak pistol vault



      The lock mechanism on mine failed and I ended up taking a prybar to it to get my Glock 19 out. I'll be shopping for a new pistol vault this weekend. I'm hoping that Cabela's will take the Homak back.

    18. #18
      Junior Member Nightfisher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Hopewell,VA
      Posts
      12
      I do not yet own a good safe large enough for my shotgun as well as my pistol, but for the time being the pistol and all my ammo resides in an inexpesive metal lockbox that is bolted to the top of a heavy bookcase at the foot of our bed. My shotgun is kept in a case, but the shells are locked up with the rest of my ammo. When not on my person the pistol is locked in the box. At bedtime I insert the key into the lock before I go to bed to provide quick access should the need arise. In the morning the box either gets re-locked, or the gun is removed and put on my hip. Not the best arrangement, but I have a 9 year old and a 4 month old I do not want to take any chances with. A proper gun safe is in my near future to prevent theft and unautorized handling.

    19. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post
      I do not yet own a good safe large enough for my shotgun as well as my pistol, but for the time being the pistol and all my ammo resides in an inexpesive metal lockbox that is bolted to the top of a heavy bookcase at the foot of our bed. My shotgun is kept in a case, but the shells are locked up with the rest of my ammo. When not on my person the pistol is locked in the box. At bedtime I insert the key into the lock before I go to bed to provide quick access should the need arise. In the morning the box either gets re-locked, or the gun is removed and put on my hip. Not the best arrangement, but I have a 9 year old and a 4 month old I do not want to take any chances with. A proper gun safe is in my near future to prevent theft and unautorized handling.
      Sounds like your system works just fine to me. You're handgun us accessible if needed when you are there, and secure when you're not. You seem to be very methodical, which is good. If you have a home defense system that you practice, stick with it. Home defense doesn't always involve expensive safes.

    20. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      423
      Quote Originally Posted by KS Trekker View Post
      I wouldn't recommend the Homak pistol vault

      The lock mechanism on mine failed and I ended up taking a prybar to it to get my Glock 19 out. I'll be shopping for a new pistol vault this weekend. I'm hoping that Cabela's will take the Homak back.
      Thanks for the info. I sincerely hope it didn't fail when you needed it.

      I'm not using a safe right now, because it's just me and my wife, but I'm thinking those days are getting closer, because it's just me and my wife. I've been looking at a few, and it seems like a person could spend as little or as much as one could afford. I sure don't want one to fail on me, but if I don't have to spend a bundle to get a good safe, I won't. Just looking for suggestions from those who already have them.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    cant open my my stack-on qas-710

    Click on a term to search for related topics.