Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Kimber 1911

  1. #1
    H2
    H2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13

    Kimber 1911

    I have been shooting a Pro Carry II .45 I love the gun but the damn ammo is expensive. I usually shoot off about 200 rounds each range time which is about twice a week. I am not in much need for a .45, that being said Im curious about a compact 1911 in a 9mm. Who has one? Who shot one? Am I paying too much for a 9mm? By the way this is my first gun, although I'v been shooting for about a year now. I need you hand gun experts to lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Are you 100% set on having to have a 1911? If not then try looking at other options like H&K P30, Sig P229, Glock 19, Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P 9. See if there's something else in 9mm that you'd be interested in.

  4. #3
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by H2 View Post
    compact 1911 in a 9mm. Who has one? Who shot one? Am I paying too much for a 9mm?
    Springfield EMP. 1911 SAO. Soft recoil. Smooth trigger. Crap nitesites. Wife loves hers

    Unlike other 1911 based 9mms, EMPs don't use spacers to make a 1911 .45 into a 9mm. It is scaled for 9mm from the start.

  5. #4
    Dsig1's Avatar
    Dsig1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    Springfield EMP. 1911 SAO. Soft recoil. Smooth trigger. Crap nitesites. Wife loves hers

    Unlike other 1911 based 9mms, EMPs don't use spacers to make a 1911 .45 into a 9mm. It is scaled for 9mm from the start.
    +1 on the EMP. I shot a friend's at my range and liked it a lot. The $1000 price tag may be a deterrent. I also shot and liked the CZ Rami that is less that $500 NIB. The Rami is available in both steel and poly frame. Both are perfect size and weight for CC.

  6. #5
    H2
    H2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Are you 100% set on having to have a 1911? If not then try looking at other options like H&K P30, Sig P229, Glock 19, Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P 9. See if there's something else in 9mm that you'd be interested in.
    Is there a reason your drifting me away from a 1911?

  7. #6
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by H2 View Post
    Is there a reason your drifting me away from a 1911?
    If you want to call it that fine.

    Your post, from reading it didn't sound like someone who was sold on using the 1911 design. Lets face it, the design is nearing 100 years old now. I prefer the newer gun designs really. I like the 1911 but in a compact gun I was planning to carry 1911 wouldn't be on my short list. That's all.

    You asked if you were paying too much for a 9mm. I'd say no since I have no issues paying near $1k for my HK P30. That being said if you went with something like a Springfield XD or similar, you'd be spending a lot less than most quality 1911 variants would run. It also depends where you look.

    If you want a 1911 then by all means buy a 1911, no sense taking a chance on something you would not be happy with in the end.

  8. #7
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Lets face it, the design is nearing 100 years old now. I prefer the newer gun designs really.
    Another way of looking at it, there has been 100 years to refine the 1911 design. By way of example, a Porsche 911 represents about 70 years of refinement on the VW Beetle design. Nothing wrong with proven designs.

  9. #8
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    This is all true, but you also have to look at it that if you're not set on a 1911, the $500 less that you spend on the gun can go towards ammo for range time/practice. Just a thought.

    -Jeff-

  10. #9
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    This is all true, but you also have to look at it that if you're not set on a 1911, the $500 less that you spend on the gun can go towards ammo for range time/practice.
    staying on topic...

    Quote Originally Posted by H2 View Post
    Im curious about a compact 1911 in a 9mm.
    If you like the 1911, you might appreciate the Browning HiPower. A 9mm refinement of M1911. Patented in 1922 by JM Browning, designer of the 1911. First produced 1935 as the Browning P-35. Std. size only.

    You will always pay more if you want quality. ie. HK P30, USP compact, SIG 229. Everything is discountable at the dealer.

  11. #10
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    Another way of looking at it, there has been 100 years to refine the 1911 design. By way of example, a Porsche 911 represents about 70 years of refinement on the VW Beetle design. Nothing wrong with proven designs.
    Depending on the environment. Sand is a 1911's worst nightmare in the trigger area.

  12. #11
    Dsig1's Avatar
    Dsig1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    staying on topic...
    If you like the 1911, you might appreciate the Browning HiPower. A 9mm refinement of M1911. Patented in 1922 by JM Browning, designer of the 1911. First produced 1935 as the Browning P-35. Std. size only.
    I didn't know the Hi Power came in compact form.

  13. #12
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsig1 View Post
    I didn't know the Hi Power came in compact form.
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    Std. size only.
    But if you want to get esoteric: The Detective is a short-slide HP produced by Fabricaciones Militares (FM) of Argentina. The Detective slide group is also available without the frame, and is interchangeable with other FM and FN Hi-Power P35s. Have no idea how you'd get an FM product in the US.

  14. #13
    cnova is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6
    I will say this i have had an XD in a 9mm and a 40 cal i liked them both. But i also sold both of them to get my 1911's and it was worth every penny of it. If you like the 1911 look than get it. It is your money spend it the way you want to. all my 1911 in kimber ultra's 9mm 40cal and 45 i like the look and feel and dont care what orhter people think it works for me.



  15. #14
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by cnova View Post
    How are you liking your alumagrips?

  16. #15
    H2
    H2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13
    Man that gun on the right looks like exactly what im looking for but does it come in a 9?

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 forum
,
1911 forum kimber
,
1911 kimber forum
,
1911 kimber forums
,
1911kimber forum
,
kimber 1911
,

kimber 1911 forum

,

kimber 1911 forums

,
kimber firearms forum
,
kimber forum
,
kimber forum 1911
,
kimber forum pistol
Click on a term to search for related topics.