Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26
    hxer is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    i would think that you would teach your son proper technique so he wouldnt be limp wristing it
    I really didn't expect to be lectured about teaching proper handgun techniques, but to make you feel better a nine year old just doesn't have the strength of a full grown man. He probably handles a handgun as well as many adults and safer than many I have seen. He has been taught proper techniques and safety and wouldn't be allowed to participate in shooting if he did not use those techniques and practice safety rules. As a matter of fact I've seen him tear the center out of a target and keep putting rounds through the hole at 20 yards using the weaver stance and proper two handed grip.

    He also shoots my .45ACP with no issues, so it goes to reason that the 9mm should function with him also. I think I have the problem fixed anyway, I appreciate the input that those gave concerning the issue I was having.

  2. Ads
  3. #27
    hxer is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    A bad spring is going to cause issues. A lot of people like to jump up on the limp wristing bandwagon, but it really takes a crappy grip to cause issues in a properly functioning gun. You shouldn't need a death grip to make a gun function.

    I'd wager that the original spring was out of spec and that's what caused what appeared to be limp wristing issues with the gun, the weaker 115gr ammo would just make it worse.
    I tend to agree with the spring issue, new one installed, and polished ramp seem to do wonders

  4. #28
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,917
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    ...A lot of people like to jump up on the limp wristing bandwagon, but it really takes a crappy grip to cause issues in a properly functioning gun. You shouldn't need a death grip to make a gun function...
    I respectfully disagree with that statement.

    In a short-barrelled semi-auto pistol, grip and technique are of supreme importance to reliable function. If enough recoil force is "scrubbed off" by a loose hold or a limp wrist, reliability will suffer. The pistol may not fail to eject every time, but it won't be reliable.

    I suggest that a small, powerful, semi-auto pistol will not be at its best in weaker hands, be they the hands of a young child, those of an inattentive man, or the hands of a less-than-fully-strong woman.

    Bear in mind that I believe that any reasonably motivated 10-year-old can successfully shoot a full-size, full-weight .45 Government Model. Shorties are, however, quite a different matter.

  5. #29
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    I respectfully disagree with that statement.

    In a short-barrelled semi-auto pistol, grip and technique are of supreme importance to reliable function. If enough recoil force is "scrubbed off" by a loose hold or a limp wrist, reliability will suffer. The pistol may not fail to eject every time, but it won't be reliable.

    I suggest that a small, powerful, semi-auto pistol will not be at its best in weaker hands, be they the hands of a young child, those of an inattentive man, or the hands of a less-than-fully-strong woman.

    Bear in mind that I believe that any reasonably motivated 10-year-old can successfully shoot a full-size, full-weight .45 Government Model. Shorties are, however, quite a different matter.
    If we were talking about small guns I would agree with you. A Commander sized 1911 in 9mm (light weight it may be) is not what I would call small or overly powerful for it's size.

  6. #30
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,917
    That's true.
    I thought that it was a smaller version than that.
    Sorry.

  7. #31
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by hxer View Post
    I really didn't expect to be lectured about teaching proper handgun techniques, but to make you feel better a nine year old just doesn't have the strength of a full grown man. He probably handles a handgun as well as many adults and safer than many I have seen. He has been taught proper techniques and safety and wouldn't be allowed to participate in shooting if he did not use those techniques and practice safety rules. As a matter of fact I've seen him tear the center out of a target and keep putting rounds through the hole at 20 yards using the weaver stance and proper two handed grip.

    He also shoots my .45ACP with no issues, so it goes to reason that the 9mm should function with him also. I think I have the problem fixed anyway, I appreciate the input that those gave concerning the issue I was having.
    wasnt a lecture, it was a one sentence comment.

  8. #32
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    If we were talking about small guns I would agree with you. A Commander sized 1911 in 9mm (light weight it may be) is not what I would call small or overly powerful for it's size.
    Yes thats true but 9mm's can and a lot of the time do have a snappier recoil ,especially ball ammo. So while I agree a commander length should be better than that, it is still a possibility.
    Like I said before it was probably a spring or combination of springs that were the problem

  9. #33
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    That's true.
    I thought that it was a smaller version than that.
    Sorry.
    No worries, manufacturers fail the KISS principle.

  10. #34
    retiredracer is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    I came across this old post and wondered if you resolved the extraction issue? I have an utra carry II and mine partially extracts the fired rounds and then drops them. It does this with factory ammo or reloads. I sent it back and they replaced the extractor (since the gun was purchased new). I still have problems. Im thinking I should have bought a S&W m&p or a glock. I have run about 2000 rounds through it. I'm just trying to find out more before calling kimber again.

  11. #35
    rex
    rex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredracer View Post
    I came across this old post and wondered if you resolved the extraction issue? I have an utra carry II and mine partially extracts the fired rounds and then drops them. It does this with factory ammo or reloads. I sent it back and they replaced the extractor (since the gun was purchased new). I still have problems. Im thinking I should have bought a S&W m&p or a glock. I have run about 2000 rounds through it. I'm just trying to find out more before calling kimber again.
    I totally forgot about this post.

    He did fix it with a new recoil spring,which you should replace now with that many rounds.Kimber has been known to be weak on their extractors and tuning them,they may have replaced it and a few rounds worked and shipped it.Check the tension as the begining of this thread said if it's still dropping them.

    There are 2 other possible problems in this scenario I don't think I mentioned.First is a weakened mag spring but I doubt that's the issue.What may happen is a weak extractor lets the case drop a touch and when it gets to the next round,since 9s are short,the case bumps the round and the hook loses the rim.Another problem that's rarer is the extractor is too long and bumping the barrel face.If light it will keep knocking pressure off the extractor,if heavy it will break the hook clean off.Try a new proper wight recoil spring first,the shorties should be replaced pretty often and need a good hold compred to the 4"+ guns.An easy way to get more lockdown without a death grip is roll your elbows out when you get extended,it helps stiffen everything to your shoulders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mm kimber carry jam
,
extractor for kimber 9mm pro-carry ii
,
kimber 9mm 1911 failure to extract
,
kimber 9mm jams
,

kimber failure to eject

,

kimber failure to extract

,
kimber pro carry ii extractor
,
kimber ultra carry failure to extract
,
my kimber 1911 ultra carry 9mm problems
,
ultra carry ii fte every shot
,
ultra carry ii shell failure to extract
,
what causes my pistol to fail to extract
Click on a term to search for related topics.