Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751

    In defense of Kel-tec

    Semi-Auto Jamming / Limpwristing Kel-Tec PF-9 - YouTube

    Above is a pretty good video

    I'm taking a shot in the dark by purchasing a Keltec as I always believed them to be un-reliable, the above video however asserts to some degree that many of them are user related errors.

    We will see, Im just justifying my purchase at this point. When I take it out, with a firm grip I am hoping all goes well. My gun is already on its way (Cherakote i think its called aka Tan on Tan)

  2. #2
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,201
    In my experience, almost all semi-auto jams and misfeeds are user-technique related.

    Nevertheless, I suggest that your new Kel-Tec will benefit from a chamber-and-feed-ramp polish job.

  3. #3
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    In my experience, almost all semi-auto jams and misfeeds are user-technique related.

    Nevertheless, I suggest that your new Kel-Tec will benefit from a chamber-and-feed-ramp polish job.

    Its true Steve, look at this idiot:

    Ke-Tec PF9 FTE Failure to Extract Jam - YouTube

    And he wonders why it jammed???

    Theres countless videos like this, another one (couldn't refind it on youtube) has a guy do this exact grip on the gun but right before says "Drrr Im not limp wristing see?" even though he is clearly limp wristing.

  4. #4
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    I am not an expert by any means just opinionated. In my opinion the money spent on a KT should be the down payment on a better gun.

    RCG

  5. #5
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by recoilguy View Post
    I am not an expert by any means just opinionated. In my opinion the money spent on a KT should be the down payment on a better gun.

    RCG
    I mean, I have 3 glocks and a Bodyguard so this is an experiment of sorts, but I am hopeful based off my research. A month ago i would have said the same thing about Kel-tecs but I want to see for myself.

    If it does run good, I will indefinitely get another one in .32

  6. #6
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Good luck, I will not buy any gun made in Florida.

    RCG

  7. #7
    sgms is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    can be found in Arizona or Ohio most of the time
    Posts
    370
    Steves advise, as usual, is excellent. I got a kel tec in .32 as part of trade and rather than sell it I decided to see if it was any good. I was found that is was a decent, reliable(as any other very small auto loader I have had), and reasonably accurate for as SD pistol. Their big problem (my opinion here) is that they are a carry a lot shoot a little pistol not made to run thousands of rounds through. Shoot it enough to be able to use it for CCW but not much more. I have since added the P-11 in 9m/m as a higher capacity pocket gun to my CCW list.

  8. #8
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by sgms View Post
    Steves advise, as usual, is excellent. I got a kel tec in .32 as part of trade and rather than sell it I decided to see if it was any good. I was found that is was a decent, reliable(as any other very small auto loader I have had), and reasonably accurate for as SD pistol. Their big problem (my opinion here) is that they are a carry a lot shoot a little pistol not made to run thousands of rounds through. Shoot it enough to be able to use it for CCW but not much more. I have since added the P-11 in 9m/m as a higher capacity pocket gun to my CCW list.
    Good to hear

    Just got my Kel-Tec from the shop, first impressions of the gun are "HOLY CRAP look how small this thing is???"

    I had held one way back but the youtube vids make the gun look much bigger then it is. Man this thing is going to be concealable!!! Can't wait to put rounds through it. Sadly wont be able to until finals weeks is over.

  9. #9
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,201
    Quote Originally Posted by sgms View Post
    ...I have since added the P-11 in 9m/m as a higher capacity pocket gun to my CCW list.
    I have heard (but I have not experienced) bad things about the P-11's frame.
    Because the pistol accommodates a large-capacity magazine, its frame is on the thin side.
    I have read tales of the frame fracturing and collapsing in the upper grip area, around the magazine.

  10. #10
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,195

    In defense of Kel-tec

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    I have heard (but I have not experienced) bad things about the P-11's frame.
    Because the pistol accommodates a large-capacity magazine, its frame is on the thin side.
    I have read tales of the frame fracturing and collapsing in the upper grip area, around the magazine.
    I hadn't heard this (nor have I experiences it obviously),
    But something I would ask on this is, is it the actual frame (metal interior on this gun) that is cracking? Or the grip (the plastic handle, forearm (?) and trigger guard part which holds the frame. The P-11s are different from most other polymer handguns in this difference.

  11. #11
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,201
    As I understand it, it's the exterior plastic that cracks.

    Remember: I have no personal experience with this.

  12. #12
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,195

    Re: In defense of Kel-tec

    Yes Steve, i know you are just passing on the info. Thank you.
    My concern was more about if the warranted part would be the numbered frame(ugh) or the grip. Sounds like thw grip.
    Either way, i am still good to go with mine!

  13. #13
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Kel-Tec PF9=JUNK!!!! - YouTube

    "See i didn't limp wrist it" (despite clearly limp wristing it lol)

  14. #14
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,260
    What brand of ammo were you using?

  15. #15
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,201
    Quote Originally Posted by berettatoter View Post
    What brand of ammo were you using?
    To whom is that addressed?

  16. #16
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    To whom is that addressed?
    I was asking jakeleinen 1.

  17. #17
    MitchellB's Avatar
    MitchellB is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    145
    While there are more expensive single stack 9mm guns available today, in the 2 years I've had my PF9 it has been 100% and I would not hesitate to buy another KelTec product if I wanted one. However, because they are so small and light weight, they must be held more firmly than a larger heavier pistol. Your hands and arms are going to feel more of the power of the cartridge transferred into them than is normally absorbed by a heavier gun. Don't be afraid to do a little polishing, tweaking and smoothing here and there also that many of the more expensive firearms do not need. You usually get what you pay for.

  18. #18
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by berettatoter View Post
    I was asking jakeleinen 1.
    Well i havent shot my PF-9 yet

    the videos of other people shooting theirs, I don't know

    My point with the videos is to illustrate that many folks are limp wristing their pistols and then they jam and they go "OH KEL TEC SUCKS"

    Also these same people buy cheap steel ammo and wonder why the gun jams as well

  19. #19
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    While there are more expensive single stack 9mm guns available today, in the 2 years I've had my PF9 it has been 100% and I would not hesitate to buy another KelTec product if I wanted one. However, because they are so small and light weight, they must be held more firmly than a larger heavier pistol. Your hands and arms are going to feel more of the power of the cartridge transferred into them than is normally absorbed by a heavier gun. Don't be afraid to do a little polishing, tweaking and smoothing here and there also that many of the more expensive firearms do not need. You usually get what you pay for.
    Im glad to hear you like yours, I was def apprehensive about purchasing one

    I heard a guy who bought a kel tec say
    "You usually get what you pay for, but with Kel-tec, sometimes you get more"

    If my Pf-9 works well I will def be considering a P3at or a P32 -- $250 for a functional fire arm -> ridiculous

    I still maintain and recommend that most people if they are only going to buy one firearm or their first firearm to go with something like a glock, ruger, or a springfield etc etc
    but who knows maybe ill change my tune on that as well

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

kel tec p11 any good for ccw

,

kel tec pf9 how good for defense

,

kel tec sux

,

pf9 for home defense

Click on a term to search for related topics.