.32 Ballistics Test

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 44
    1. #1
      HGF Forum Moderator
      Shipwreck's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Beretta City, Texas
      Posts
      11,452

      .32 Ballistics Test

      Here is a link to some ballistic tests that a guy did w/ his Keltect .32...

      http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/tests.htm

    2. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      outback KY
      Posts
      208
      Notice CorBon was hottest of the HP and only one that expaned every time.
      Also notice that S&B Ball was very hot and had same engery Ftlbs as Corbon. I shoot both and they wake 32 up
      If I wanted ball for carry I would look at S&B .
      The WW cone is junk. Also same OAL as most hp and can cause rim lock in KT

    3. #3
      HGF Forum Moderator
      Shipwreck's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Beretta City, Texas
      Posts
      11,452
      Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
      Notice CorBon was hottest of the HP and only one that expaned every time.
      Also notice that S&B Ball was very hot and had same engery Ftlbs as Corbon. I shoot both and they wake 32 up
      If I wanted ball for carry I would look at S&B .
      The WW cone is junk. Also same OAL as most hp and can cause rim lock in KT

      Yea... The Winchester he used in his tests are not the same kind that they sell now - the newer ones have a flat tip.

      I use Fiochi FMJ. They had were tied with the prev incarnation of the Winchester round for the most penetration.

    4. #4
      Member Mr. P's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      495
      This ballistics stuff is interesting but I have a question.
      Does anyone know how the density of gelatin compares to a human body?

      I’ve seen some tests done on animals that I think are more realistic, after all if you have any real interest in penetration, expansion etc it’s not because you intend to shot a block of jello in self defense, is it? I may be wrong.

    5. #5
      HGF Forum Moderator
      Shipwreck's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Beretta City, Texas
      Posts
      11,452
      When I see them mix the stuff up on Mythbusters, they claim that it has the same density as human flesh.

    6. #6
      Member Mr. P's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      495
      Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
      When I see them mix the stuff up on Mythbusters, they claim that it has the same density as human flesh.
      I’ve never seen the show. I guess my first question for them though, would be; how do you define human flesh? And when you say “has the same density as human flesh”, are you accounting for skin, muscle, cartilage, bone etc?

      I think ballistics tests are great for source weapon ID, but for proving the effectiveness of any particular ammunition, I really don’t know. I won’t deny it’s at least a bit of good information.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      outback KY
      Posts
      208
      The Jello is the standerd test for firearms. Even Uncle Sam uses it. Animals all react different same with people. The Jello evens the playing field so all brands can be tested under same conditions. Must be pretty close a lot of the results have been same on street.

    8. #8
      Member Mr. P's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      495
      Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
      The Jello is the standerd test for firearms. Even Uncle Sam uses it. Animals all react different same with people. The Jello evens the playing field so all brands can be tested under same conditions. Must be pretty close a lot of the results have been same on street.
      That makes sense.

    9. #9
      HGF Forum Moderator
      Shipwreck's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Beretta City, Texas
      Posts
      11,452


      Thought this could help the 32 Keltec owners here, in case U missed this thread...

    10. #10
      Junior Member denfoote's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      Estado de poco México, Arizona
      Posts
      84

      Wink I've got the link in favorites.

      I carry Winchester hardball in my P32.

      15" of penatration should do the trick and no rimlock!!

    11. #11
      Member Deltaboy1984's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      174
      Thanks I am looking at a Kel-tec 32 for Summer carry here in Texas and for my mountian bike riding and walking.

    12. #12
      Member mike#9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Apopka, FL
      Posts
      165
      Quote Originally Posted by Deltaboy1984 View Post
      Thanks I am looking at a Kel-tec 32 for Summer carry here in Texas and for my mountian bike riding and walking.

      Not to be an ass......but why would you be contemplating this weapon? Especially when they make the P3AT. Virtually the same price, same size, same weight.....more stoping power.

      Just a question.

    13. #13
      Member nukehayes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Stationed in San Diego, home is Newark, OH
      Posts
      488
      the purpose of both of these weapons is up close and personal last resort defense. I would rather have something more controllable and one more shot. a .32acp 73gr solid will go straight though someones skull especially if shoved under their nose or in their eyesocket. Don't flame somone for their choice, it is theirs to make for their own reasons. Many people, myself included don't like the recoil on the P3at and I know I wouldn't practice as much if I had that. Just my .02

    14. #14
      Member mike#9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Apopka, FL
      Posts
      165
      Quote Originally Posted by nukehayes View Post
      the purpose of both of these weapons is up close and personal last resort defense. I would rather have something more controllable and one more shot. a .32acp 73gr solid will go straight though someones skull especially if shoved under their nose or in their eyesocket. Don't flame somone for their choice, it is theirs to make for their own reasons. Many people, myself included don't like the recoil on the P3at and I know I wouldn't practice as much if I had that. Just my .02
      There was absolutely no flaming going on. Hence the...not to be an ass....comment. The .32 acp is still a peppy round to shoot.....so I don't see why you would sacrifice a fair amount of stopping power (which even the .380 is not the best at anyway) to get a weapon with an extra round.....that is easier to shoot at the range. Neither one of them is a range gun....and there is not a whole great deal of practice needed to shoot these weapons in the manner of which they were intended. They are both a point and shoot weapon. Make sure the thing is properly broke in, and shoot it every so often.....and forget about it. It will be there for you when you need it.

      Also, who's to say that you will be able to shove the gun under the bad guys nose, or in their eyesocket.

      The .32 is still better than slapping the bad guy to death......but, I would recommend beeing just a hair more uncomfortable while shooting, and get the P3AT.

    15. #15
      Member nukehayes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Stationed in San Diego, home is Newark, OH
      Posts
      488
      To each his own I guess. Sorry if I sounded a little mean, I still don't understand why people argue over what caliber is better, as long as the person carrying it feels comfortable in his/her ability to accurately put rounds on target, then go with what you want.

    16. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      51
      Hmmm...I guess my P32 has the stopping power of feather.

    17. #17
      Junior Member CollinsGTO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
      When I see them mix the stuff up on Mythbusters, they claim that it has the same density as human flesh.
      this is correct! i love that show!

      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
      I’ve never seen the show. I guess my first question for them though, would be; how do you define human flesh? And when you say “has the same density as human flesh”, are you accounting for skin, muscle, cartilage, bone etc?

      I think ballistics tests are great for source weapon ID, but for proving the effectiveness of any particular ammunition, I really don’t know. I won’t deny it’s at least a bit of good information.
      dude, you're missing out!!! that show rocks! you do bring up a good point, but in reading further, i see that its more of a standard of measure.
      Quote Originally Posted by nukehayes View Post
      To each his own I guess. Sorry if I sounded a little mean, I still don't understand why people argue over what caliber is better, as long as the person carrying it feels comfortable in his/her ability to accurately put rounds on target, then go with what you want.
      precisely why i went with the P32. its very comfortable in my hands, not much recoil, and i was able to easily cluster my shots while rapid firing. for such a short barrel, its still pretty darn accurate.

    18. #18
      Junior Member tabdog's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Central Arkansas
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by nukehayes View Post
      To each his own I guess. Sorry if I sounded a little mean, I still don't understand why people argue over what caliber is better, as long as the person carrying it feels comfortable in his/her ability to accurately put rounds on target, then go with what you want.
      I'm with you.

      It seems that everyone wants to carry a cannon.

      There may be a Dirty Harry disease going
      around.

      It seems they are planning on a shoot out with
      all the power and extra mags and so on.

      I like to see the pics of guns that are suppose
      to be their carry guns. But, why do they usually
      look like they just came off the store shelve or
      out of a pimp house?

      I carry anything from a 22Mag to a Remington
      12 gauge pump.

      There is a down side to any weapon. It don't
      take a genius to run any weapon down and
      try and talk people into what they don't want,
      and out of what they do want.

      I mean, I'll go Dirty Harry one better.....

      real stopping power is a 50 cal BMG.

      No, wait, it's a 30 mm!!!

      That's knock into a mist and fragments.

      So, chunk your 45's and 357's, they ain't
      near big enough,,, lol

      Tabdog

    19. #19
      Senior Member denner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Posts
      2,790
      My main criteria for the 32cal is at least 12 inches of penetration. I've opted for the Fiocchi 60 JHP. It seems to barely expand but it makes it 13.3 inches with at least a minimal amount of expansion. I'd go hardball as a second option.

    20. #20
      Member DanP_from_AZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Chino Valley, AZ
      Posts
      520
      Quote Originally Posted by tabdog View Post
      . . . So, chunk your 45's and 357's, they ain't
      near big enough,,, lol

      Tabdog
      I think I am qualified to "bridge the entire gap" here.

      My "low end" mouse gun is a Beretta Tomcat (.32 Auto). I think the tilt barrel concept is a "bit of sound engineering".
      I've carried the Tomcat concealed once this year (summer). That would be to a place I thought having a weapon made good sense.
      But, it was also a place where I definitely did not want to be printed. Carrying this gun is below my comfort level if it's ever needed.

      My "top of the range" wilderness/mountain open carry gun is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull. The near ultimate 2 1/2" barrel super snubby.
      In AZ I could legally open carry it in public places. I never have and I never will. That would be pretty stupid showoff stuff. But, it is a "comfort" in lion and Black bear country.

      In between I try for what I think is a viable and sensible concealed carry weapon. YMMV, obviously.
      Last year it was a S&W 642 (concealed hammer) Airweight revolver in .38 Special +P. With Crimson Trace laser grips. Nice gun. Five shots. "No reload". Not happy with IWB holster(s).

      This year it is a Sig Sauer P290 "sub-compact 9mm" semi-auto. With 1 + 8 rd. mag. And 6 rd. reload. Both in a very small belt pouch instead of a holster. Works well.
      I use it cross-draw, and it's easy to access seated in my car. So far I've never had anyone "alert" on this pouch. Not even uniformed security people or LEO's.

      I like the Tomcat .32 Auto. It's fun to shoot and easy to carry. But lot of folks and I think 9mm is a very significant and worthwhile "step up" in stopping power.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    .32 ballistics
    ,

    .32 caliber pistol ballistics

    ,
    .32 mag performance in balistics gel
    ,
    32 ballistics
    ,

    32 caliber ballistics

    ,

    32 s&w long buffalo bore gel test

    ,
    ballistics p32 buffalo bore ballistics
    ,
    goldenloki ballistics
    ,
    goldenloki gel tests
    ,

    kel tec p32 ballistics

    ,
    keltec p32 ballistics
    ,
    p32 ballistics
    Click on a term to search for related topics.