Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    vrodcruiser is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32

    Kel-Tec P3AT sights

    I bought a P3AT off a friend because he needs the money.
    It shots fine but the front sights are invisable.
    Is there anything that I can do, like paint, to increase the visibility?
    If the ansewer is paint like I suspect, What kind of paint, any white work?

  2. #2
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    At the ranges for which the Kel-Tec P3AT is intended, no sights are required. Just sight along the top of the slide at any distance up to about 15 yards.
    If you like, you could highlight the tiny front sight with nail enamel ("nail polish"). That's what I do to all of my pistols, including my P3AT. It helps sometimes, but not always.
    Clean the sight with Energene or alcohol. Carefully paint only the back of the sight (the part you see when you're sighting) with the whitest nail enamel you can find. Don't slop over the top or over the edges. Let it dry for an entire day.
    Now go over the white enamel with a coat of the reddest color you can find. Let that dry for a day. Then re-coat it with the red enamel, and let that dry for another day.
    In low- or no-light, the red sight is black. In good light, it's bright red and easy to see quickly.

    I suggest nail enamel because it's the toughest paint you can buy, and because it sticks to almost anything.
    When you buy it, expect some cute backchat from the lady at the sales counter. If she, too, is cute, make good use of your opportunity. Who knows: you may get lucky, and she'll let you paint her nails.

  3. #3
    vrodcruiser is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32
    So red sites are better then white in your opinion?

  4. #4
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    A red front sight (only) is better for me. To my eyes, a white front sight is too much of an "eye magnet."
    But far be it for me to tell you exactly what to do.
    I find three-dot, two-dot, and bar-and-dot sights to be visually confusing. Further, I don't need a painted (or otherwise marked) rear sight. I just occasionally want some help seeing the front sight as quickly as possible.

  5. #5
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Those are sights on my P3AT? I thought they were little burrs that didn't get taken off in the finishing process.

  6. #6
    rosie22lr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    25
    If you are sighting with a P3AT you are in a bit of trouble. As said before in the first post, this pistol is not that kind of gun although a little nail polish cannot hurt--just don't get used to it. The gun is a last resort; you bring it out in the open ONLY when you are prepared to fire it, not to sight it. If you are fortunate, and I believe most of us are, you will only use the pistol and maybe the nail polish once every several weeks or months just to keep familiar and maintain its operability better than sitting in your pocket gathering dust and whatever. As for ammo, 380 for the P3AT is really NOT expensive--we are not talking about hundreds of rounds here--we are talking about perhaps a dozen rounds every several weeks or months and the "self defense ammo will, hopefully NEVER be used so it is a one shot purchase (pardon the pun). I may be wrong on these comments but that is why I purchased this pistol--something to carry but, hopefully, never use.

  7. #7
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie22lr View Post
    ...[W]hy I purchased this pistol--something to carry but, hopefully, never use.
    Yeah, I agree...
    But, you still gotta practice with it, as often as you can. Your "once every several weeks or months" isn't often enough to maintain basic familiarity, let alone to make yourself save-your-life proficient with it.
    First, you need to find out if it's dead-on reliable. That'll take maybe 100 rounds, or more, but not all at once.
    Next, you need to become absolutely familiar with its workings and with where it hits at the closer, save-your-life distances.
    Finally, you need to be able to get it into accurate action instantaneously and without a bobble.
    All of that takes constant practice, so you need to do daily dry-fire practice with it. Then, every time you go shooting, which should be at least once-a-week, the little thing comes along too, and gets a short, carefully monitored workout.

    You're absolutely correct about the sights, of course. (See my original post, about five posts away from this one.) But if vrodcruiser wants to paint (only) his front sight, it's not a terrible idea, and it might even help him at first.

  8. #8
    wegriffin8642 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Sight Paint

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    At the ranges for which the Kel-Tec P3AT is intended, no sights are required. Just sight along the top of the slide at any distance up to about 15 yards.
    If you like, you could highlight the tiny front sight with nail enamel ("nail polish"). That's what I do to all of my pistols, including my P3AT. It helps sometimes, but not always.
    Clean the sight with Energene or alcohol. Carefully paint only the back of the sight (the part you see when you're sighting) with the whitest nail enamel you can find. Don't slop over the top or over the edges. Let it dry for an entire day.
    Now go over the white enamel with a coat of the reddest color you can find. Let that dry for a day. Then re-coat it with the red enamel, and let that dry for another day.
    In low- or no-light, the red sight is black. In good light, it's bright red and easy to see quickly.

    I suggest nail enamel because it's the toughest paint you can buy, and because it sticks to almost anything.
    When you buy it, expect some cute backchat from the lady at the sales counter. If she, too, is cute, make good use of your opportunity. Who knows: you may get lucky, and she'll let you paint her nails.
    Steve,
    I agree, but bright green works best for my eyes....and you can find almost any color nail polish at Wal-Mart. And if it wears off, you could probably re-paint the sight a hundred times or more as small as it is...

  9. #9
    jsm190 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagler, Florida
    Posts
    5
    I perfer Testors Flouresent Orange model paint. It is not really as flouresent as the expensive sight paint you can buy but it is bright enough. The problem I have with White is that if you are shooting at something that is very light in color there is no contrast and you will still "lose" your front sight. Translate that to a bad guy might be wearing a white shirt but odds are he is not going to be wearing a flouresent orange one.

  10. #10
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm190 View Post
    I perfer Testors Flouresent Orange model paint. It is not really as flouresent as the expensive sight paint you can buy but it is bright enough. The problem I have with White is that if you are shooting at something that is very light in color there is no contrast and you will still "lose" your front sight. Translate that to a bad guy might be wearing a white shirt but odds are he is not going to be wearing a flouresent orange one.
    Red, green, fluorescent orange...they're all good. But I still suggest that an undercoat of bright white be put on first. The white undercoat helps the top-coat color to reflect more useful light, when you need a bright sight.

  11. #11
    T. Webb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York.
    Posts
    31
    I like a day glo fishing jig paint. For me at least, it's better than nail polish.

  12. #12
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    We call them EENT's around here. Ears,Eyes,Nose,and Throat. I always got mine in my pocket.

  13. #13
    mesz13's Avatar
    mesz13 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    62

    try the above sponsor

    nightsiter which is a sponsor for here offers a solution to the problem, its a stick on florescent dot which is perfect for the 380. think the cost is under ten dollars and might solve all the problems.

  14. #14
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by mesz13 View Post
    nightsiter which is a sponsor for here offers a solution to the problem, its a stick on florescent dot which is perfect for the 380. think the cost is under ten dollars and might solve all the problems.
    If you try it, or if anybody tries it, please report back.
    Particularly, do they stay attached? And do they glow only after being exposed to light, or do they glow "on their own"?

  15. #15
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    If you try it, or if anybody tries it, please report back.
    Particularly, do they stay attached? And do they glow only after being exposed to light, or do they glow "on their own"?

    To answer your second question first nite siters are photo luminescent, and not self luminescent which means they need light to work. They do light up nicely after 10 minutes of exposure and hold their light for a couple hours. I personally do not have them, a very good friend bought them and likes them. He is a big "I got this cheap and I like cheap" kind of person. Inexpensive to him is a remedy for many ills.......like they come off when exposed to a good cleaning solvent. To me thats not such a good deal. If you do not expose the sights to solvent they stay on pretty darn good though. They do light up very nicely too.

    I know he likes them and recomends them to everyone who asks. He is a very good friend but I have not spent the 12 bucks. That is neither a recomendation or a condemnation just the way I see it.

    RCG

  16. #16
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    Thanks, RCG;
    That was a very useful review, all in a nutshell.
    Nitesiters are, according to your report, exactly as I expected them to be.

  17. #17
    spongebobmac's Avatar
    spongebobmac is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    50
    x2

  18. #18
    imager67 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    51

    Sights

    On the P3AT I do not know why the company even bothers to put any sights on at all.

  19. #19
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,196
    Steve,
    My nitesiters have satyed on my p3at for the year i have had it. frankly i dont bother to charge them most of the time, but i do like the quick acquisition. I have some color blind issues (which damn glide path color is that) ..so... but something about the quality of the color (as in refelctive or absorbtive quality) hlpsme find them quick. Even with a light back ground during the day.

    a 10 second blast with my 35 lumens $5 led keeps them visible from dark 30 till bedtime for me.

    Yes the are inexpensive. and on my pa-63 they would not stay on. but i have them on 3 guns now and am...satisfied. If i get the M&P9c i am thinking of.. that will probablyt have tritium sights though.

  20. #20
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,262
    Thanks!
    It's interesting to know that they do, indeed, stay in place on some sights. It's even more interesting to know that they stay "illuminated" for a relatively-usefully long time, and that just a little time under a flashlight does the trick.

    Hmmm...
    It's against my better judgment, but I guess I'll have to try them for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you paint sights on kel tec 3at
,
flashlight for kel tec p32
,
kel tec 380 sights
,
kel tec p32 modifications
,
kel tec p32 sights
,
kel tec p3at sight modification
,
kel tec p3at sight paint
,

kel tec p3at sights

,
p3at sight upgrade
,

p3at sights

,
sights for kel tec p3at
,
sights for p3at
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1