Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838

    Thinking About A PF9

    As the title indicates............... I've been reading the threads, posts, positives and negatives about the PF9 and some gun tests by magazine folks, etc. Seems the biggest problems are with the first batches Kel Tec put out and they are being straightened out slowly but surely. I was impressed with the size, the 9mm caliber, and the price. I'm gonna' hold out a little while longer and watch what develops but it looks good right now. Lot of our members have the P3AT and really like it. I'm just not ready to depend on the .380 for self defense. I didn't realize how small the PF9 was until I saw the comparison picture (as shown below). And Mike I can't believe you would use a belt clip!


    A comparison below with the P3AT on top of the PF9!


  2. #2
    hambone111 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1
    I don't see both pistols??

  3. #3
    69Roadrunner's Avatar
    69Roadrunner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Highland, Utah
    Posts
    35
    I got mine recently. The serial number indicates it was made in January 2008. I now have over 200 rounds through it. I've found that as long as I limit my range time to around fifty rounds I don't have reliability problems. After the fiftieth round I tend to have occasional failures to eject which I attribute to fatigue from the pounding the light pistol gives to my hand. The PF-9 rides in a Galco Sto-N-Go IWB holster. The PF-9 is so light and slim that, after a while, I don't even notice its there. Its that comfortable to carry.

  4. #4
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone111 View Post
    I don't see both pistols??
    The PF9 is under the P3AT. You can see a little of the muzzle end and the bottom of the grip of the PF9.

  5. #5
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Roadrunner View Post
    I got mine recently. The serial number indicates it was made in January 2008. I now have over 200 rounds through it. I've found that as long as I limit my range time to around fifty rounds I don't have reliability problems. After the fiftieth round I tend to have occasional failures to eject which I attribute to fatigue from the pounding the light pistol gives to my hand. The PF-9 rides in a Galco Sto-N-Go IWB holster. The PF-9 is so light and slim that, after a while, I don't even notice its there. Its that comfortable to carry.
    What about the belt clip thingys they sell? Read about or had any experiences with those?

  6. #6
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Thumbs up

    Hey Charlie I think your good to go now if you want one. The frist ones out had slide issuses but they got that ironed out. Just remember these little guys are for up close and personal and are not range guns. Their easy to have on you at all times. It also takes a frim grip to make these guns perfrom the way they should. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Hey Charlie I think your good to go now if you want one. The frist ones out had slide issuses but they got that ironed out. Just remember these little guys are for up close and personal and are not range guns. Their easy to have on you at all times. It also takes a frim grip to make these guns perfrom the way they should. Good luck.
    Fifteen feet or less would be my guess! I handled the P3AT and as much as I like the concept, I couldn't feel good about the short grip. I could barely get two fingers under the trigger guard! I just wanted more grip 'cause I knew it would be a sharp recoil.
    Last edited by Charlie; 03-27-2008 at 02:44 PM.

  8. #8
    69Roadrunner's Avatar
    69Roadrunner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Highland, Utah
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    What about the belt clip thingys they sell? Read about or had any experiences with those?
    Haven't had any experience with the belt clip. I think Mike is thinking about putting one on when he gets his. As for the grip - I have medium sized hands and my pinky doesn't grip the pistol at all. I tried the pinky extension, but my hand is just large enough that the pinky doesn't get a good grip on the pistol. I decided to take it off since it added to the profile and made printing easier. A good two-handed grip makes shooting the PF-9 accurately and reliably easier. Still, the recoil is strong and it will give your trigger finger and your hand a workout. There is some "trigger slap" which some say can be cured by installing a trigger shoe. I'm not interested in adding anything more to what is essentially a close and personal SD weapon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    244
    My p3at has been very reliable but after getting a PF9, I found I could pocket carry it almost all the time if I dress right-even summer. Sand around the grip where the inside of your thumb rests and add a rubber slip on grip and it's fun to shoot. Each shot produces 350 fpe vs less than 200 fpe in 3at. It's usually back up to FNP9M or Commander but sometimes it's primary w/3at as BUG. Shot it with a friend who had the little Kahr and both of us shot the PF9 better.

  10. #10
    AdamSean's Avatar
    AdamSean is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    40
    I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and love it. It is a new 2008 make with all the bugs worked out. It is deadly accurate. I highly recommend one.

  11. #11
    Big_Jim's Avatar
    Big_Jim is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    34
    My neice just bought one and I took her shooting last night. She is an extreme novice, I on the other hand am experienced with many types of guns. We fired about 100 rounds of my reloads with a 124 gr flatnose bullet and experinced only one problem. She was shooting one handed and was possibly fatigued and there was a failure to return to battery. So, I consider this gun reliable. Accuracy was pretty good for this kind of gun. I shot a 6 inch group offhand at 20 yards and she was able to keep most of her shots in the IDPA 8" center at 7 yds, remember she is new to shooting. I'm impressed for the price she paid. I told her that if she didn't like it, I'd buy it from her.

  12. #12
    AZ Outlaws's Avatar
    AZ Outlaws is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    As the title indicates............... I've been reading the threads, posts, positives and negatives about the PF9 and some gun tests by magazine folks, etc. Seems the biggest problems are with the first batches Kel Tec put out and they are being straightened out slowly but surely. I was impressed with the size, the 9mm caliber, and the price. I'm gonna' hold out a little while longer and watch what develops but it looks good right now. Lot of our members have the P3AT and really like it. I'm just not ready to depend on the .380 for self defense. I didn't realize how small the PF9 was until I saw the comparison picture (as shown below). And Mike I can't believe you would use a belt clip!


    A comparison below with the P3AT on top of the PF9!

    LOL... You forgot to add: photo courtesy of gunblast.com

  13. #13
    XD_Hokie's Avatar
    XD_Hokie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    46
    I have had mine for 8 months with a Hogue slip on grip and the pinky extension. Great fit and works great with 9mm I feel a little better than with my .32 or .380. The grip is great for my wife and she is getting her own soon. Other guns were too large for her hands, this one is just right for her. Buy one and enjoy!!

    I use it in a SmartCarry holster and works great!! Also have a small Uncle Mikes pocket holster that works well in an inside coat pocket.

  14. #14
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    291

    great deal for something so compact.

    That's probably my next gun.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how small is the pf9

,
how to improve the trigger of the kel tec pf9
,

how to straighten a pf9 trigger

,
how to straiten trigger small amount on keltec pf9
,
is it safe to dry my kel-tec pf9
,
istalling pf9trigger shoe
,
kel tec metal trigger
,
kel tec pf9 negatives
,
keltecpf9ejectionproblems
,
pf9 grip sleeve
,

pf9 trigger

,
what can you do to improve a kel tec pf9
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1