Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932

    How to carry your P-3AT

    This is my daily rig, if I'm not using the belt clip IWB. It looks, feels, and functions like a wallet, and you get a back-up mag in the same package.

    The holster is a Mike's Size 1, with the top and side of the spacer cut out, and restitched along the very edge by hand. It takes a few stretches with the mag to get it to go in and out easily, but it fits.

    The "pinky hook" mag baseplate is shaved a bit too with my bench grinder, to remove the hook end. It actually just gets to my ring finger, but gives you a MUCH better grip on the '3AT.

    Try it, you'll love it.

    Jeff


  2. #2
    buck32's Avatar
    buck32 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    925
    I like it! I just tried my LCP and it fits the exact same way. Way cool!!!

  3. #3
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Does the spare mag fit too?

  4. #4
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks for the Pic Jeff. I just put one on layaway. gotta find the square bottom uncle mikes # 1 though. they all seem to be rounded bottom here. Can you do a close up of where you restiched?
    Thanks
    Niadh

  5. #5
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    I opened and restiched the edge in the bottom of this photo. I cut it from the "front edge" of the spare mag, all the way to the bottom right corner in the picture, then loop-stitch-sewed just the edge from the back of the spare mag, to the tip, in the bottom right corner.

    It's held up fine through daily abuse for a few months now... Standard black nylon thread, sewn twice.

    Enjoy.

    Jeff

  6. #6
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    I opened and restiched the edge in the bottom of this photo. I cut it from the "front edge" of the spare mag, all the way to the bottom right corner in the picture, then loop-stitch-sewed just the edge from the back of the spare mag, to the tip, in the bottom right corner.

    It's held up fine through daily abuse for a few months now... Standard black nylon thread, sewn twice.
    It sounds like you have a new hobby, JeffWard.

    -Jeff-

  7. #7
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks for the clarification Jeff. My eyes were having a hard time on details in the photo.

  8. #8
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,221
    Jeff;
    1) Does your reload magazine get in the way of grasping your pistol in a strong, secure firing grip, before presentation? It looks as if it would.
    2) If you need to reload, how do you get your second magazine out of your pocket? Do you release the pistol, or shift it to your other hand?

  9. #9
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Jeff;
    1) Does your reload magazine get in the way of grasping your pistol in a strong, secure firing grip, before presentation? It looks as if it would.
    2) If you need to reload, how do you get your second magazine out of your pocket? Do you release the pistol, or shift it to your other hand?
    Yes, and No.

    The purpose of the rig is NOT fast presentation, but deep concealment and convenience, covering the first rule of a gunfight... have a gun.

    Drawing from a rear pocket is a practiced art of grasping the grip between the thumb and first two finger tips, drawing, and shifting to a "full" three finger grip. The holster and spare mag stay behind.

    Swapping mags requires: A. finding cover, B. praying to yourself, C. Digging around for it behind your back in the pocket with your off hand, D. cursing for only bringing only a .380 with you, but thanking god you've got at least that while reloading, and E. getting back in the fight.

    It ain't fast, it's invisible... and it's 13 rounds in one pocket.

    Jeff

  10. #10
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,221
    Jeff;
    Thanks for your humorous and informative reply.
    I hope that you never have to do any of those things in any kind of rush.

  11. #11
    tboone is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    Yes, and No.

    The purpose of the rig is NOT fast presentation, but deep concealment and convenience, covering the first rule of a gunfight... have a gun.

    Drawing from a rear pocket is a practiced art of grasping the grip between the thumb and first two finger tips, drawing, and shifting to a "full" three finger grip. The holster and spare mag stay behind.

    Swapping mags requires: A. finding cover, B. praying to yourself, C. Digging around for it behind your back in the pocket with your off hand, D. cursing for only bringing only a .380 with you, but thanking god you've got at least that while reloading, and E. getting back in the fight.

    It ain't fast, it's invisible... and it's 13 rounds in one pocket.

    Jeff
    This encompasses my thought processes almost exactly, and I (well, a seamstress) just did a similar mod to my Uncle Mike's #1. Once I get past this next Organic Chem test, I'll post pics. Heck, I'll finally post pics of all my fun stuff

    Back on topic, I too am able to get a decent grasp of the firearm, and as I carry back pocket, any slowness would likely look very close to only a fumbling for a wallet in a mugging situation.

    Tom

  12. #12
    zeke4351 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80

    This is how I carry when I can't conceal something bigger

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how big is a 3at hook
,
how to carry your 32 kel tec gun
,

how to carry your p3at

,
kel tec 380 pinky rest
,
p3at pinky hook
Click on a term to search for related topics.