Kahr P9 light strikes

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      n.e. ohio
      Posts
      40

      Kahr P9 light strikes

      I have a one year old P9 that stopped firing at the range
      a couple days ago. The primers on the cartridges (2 different brands) showed much lighter strike indentations than normal. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what was the fix ? This gun has 2,700 rounds thru it so far. Thanks for your input.
      Last edited by curmudgeon8; 10-14-2008 at 07:40 PM.

    2. #2
      Junior Member Fenderman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Posts
      14
      Have you ever done a detail strip of the upper? It may just need a good cleaning of striker and striker channel.

      If that did not cure the light strikes contact Kahr and get them to send you a new striker spring.

      If you need instructions on detail strip of upper there is a pdf file that shows you how to do it.

    3. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      n.e. ohio
      Posts
      40
      Quote Originally Posted by Fenderman View Post
      Have you ever done a detail strip of the upper? It may just need a good cleaning of striker and striker channel.

      If that did not cure the light strikes contact Kahr and get them to send you a new striker spring.

      If you need instructions on detail strip of upper there is a pdf file that shows you how to do it.
      I haven't detail stripped the upper yet, but I did clean it ultrasonically and haven't tested it yet by firing, but it failed the "pencil" test. I also called Kahr and left a message; they said they'd call me back in 1-2 days.
      I do have the instructions for the detail strip. Thx very much for your response. I hope the new spring fixes the problem.

    4. #4
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      I'm not real familiar wit that pistol but looking at them it's kind of like a Glock with the striker? If that is the case and it's got a good bit of fouling back in there that can easily cause the problem. A weakened striker spring can do it too though. Wolff sells some good springs. Well worth picking up for spare parts ifd nothing else. I like having extra springs if for no other reasin to use to compare. A weak spring will be shorter..It's just the easiest way to see if it has started to fail.

    5. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      n.e. ohio
      Posts
      40
      Quote Originally Posted by DevilsJohnson View Post
      I'm not real familiar wit that pistol but looking at them it's kind of like a Glock with the striker? If that is the case and it's got a good bit of fouling back in there that can easily cause the problem. A weakened striker spring can do it too though. Wolff sells some good springs. Well worth picking up for spare parts ifd nothing else. I like having extra springs if for no other reasin to use to compare. A weak spring will be shorter..It's just the easiest way to see if it has started to fail.
      Kahr called me back on Oct. 16th, (next day). They wanted to see the gun, I sent it to them same day. They said 2-3 wks. turnaround. I,ll report results.
      I agree with you about Wolff, I'm going to do that for all my four guns.
      Regards

    6. #6
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      Great! I'd really like to learn what they say

    7. #7
      Member vernpriest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Posts
      106
      A friend bought a used P9 and was having the same issue. The shop detailed stripped and cleaned it and the problem went away. He had the spring changed just to be safe and has had no problems since.

    8. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      n.e. ohio
      Posts
      40
      Got my P9 back from Kahr on 11/12/08.
      Their "technical service work sheet" stated:
      "Action taken:
      Test fired gun, found light primer strikes, replaced slide, barrel, lubed, test fired good."
      I field stripped it and found a new slide (with new night sights), new barrel, new recoil spring and guide rod.
      I've got what amounts to a new gun here.
      Hard to beat that kind of service 'eh.
      I'll be taking it to the range this week.

    9. #9
      Member kev74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Orange County, NY
      Posts
      985
      Wow! Its nice to hear happy customer service stories!

    10. #10
      Senior Member BeefyBeefo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,873
      Quote Originally Posted by kev74 View Post
      Wow! Its nice to hear happy customer service stories!
      I agree.

      Less than a month isn't bad. Be sure to keep us posted.

      -Jeff-

    11. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      n.e. ohio
      Posts
      40
      Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon8 View Post
      Got my P9 back from Kahr on 11/12/08.
      Their "technical service work sheet" stated:
      "Action taken:
      Test fired gun, found light primer strikes, replaced slide, barrel, lubed, test fired good."
      I field stripped it and found a new slide (with new night sights), new barrel, new recoil spring and guide rod.
      I've got what amounts to a new gun here.
      Hard to beat that kind of service 'eh.
      I'll be taking it to the range this week.
      I finally got to the range with the P9; put 100 rounds
      thru it with no problems. Field stripped, cleaned and inspected it and everything looks good.

    12. #12
      Senior Member BeefyBeefo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,873
      Sounds good, thanks for the update.

      -Jeff-

    13. #13
      Member buck32's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Montana
      Posts
      924
      Sounds good. Nice to hear they took care of you....

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    kahr .380 light strikes
    ,
    kahr cm 9 light strike
    ,

    kahr light primer strikes

    ,

    kahr light strikes

    ,
    kahr p380 pencil test
    ,

    kahr p9 light

    ,
    kahr p9 light strike
    ,

    kahr p9 light strikes

    ,

    kahr p9 spring

    ,

    kahr pm9 light strike

    ,

    kahr pm9 light strikes

    ,
    missfire or light strike springfield p9
    Click on a term to search for related topics.