Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18

    First time Gun/Glock Owner

    Well, soon anyway. Ordered a Glock 19 Gen 3 a few days ago. Should be in next Tuesday. Awesome for the range and if you put some HPs in it, a good SD weapon I hear. Pretty stoked!

    The two main reasons I went with the Gen 3 over the Gen 4 was that I don't care for the texture on the handle of the Gen 4, and the Gen 4's also don't clear the shell casing with as much umph as the Gen 3. I've read several reports and a saw a few videos of the Gen 4's weak ejection and several that dinked around and feel back into the chamber.

    Anyway, this will make a great first gun for me. If I fall in love with the Glock like I'm sure I will, I may be interested in the Glock 23 as a home defense weapon.

    Any input on the G23, or G19 for that matter?


    Thanks!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    welcome from southern oregon

  4. #3
    FNISHR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Posts
    354
    Welcome from Northeast Tennessee. Several of my friends have G19's and love them. I'm a G17 guy myself. You can't go seriously wrong with a 19; it's a fine choice.

  5. #4
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Hi guys, thanks for the welcome.

    @FNISHR

    The gun shop had a used G17, but I want something a little more compact. The 19 is the perfect "in between size" for me.

    A friend of mine is a 357 guru and says "9mm's are a waste," but I think that's a crock.

  6. #5
    FNISHR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Posts
    354
    I've heard the old saw about 9mm's being "45's set to stun" for years. 9mm's have stunned quite a few bad guys, though, and a lot of them have STAYED stunned.

    I like my .45 too, though. It's just a question of what one prefers, and for me that varies from one day to the next.

  7. #6
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Isn't it true there there is SD ammo for the 9mm's that can make them compare to a standard 45? I've read so much lately that all this info is spinning in my head right now. I'm sure Federal HPs was one I remember.

  8. #7
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,186
    Welcome to the site!

    And congrats on the Glock 19; it's a fine choice, in my opinion.
    "Placement is power" -- seen in an article by Stephen A. Camp
    (RIP, Mr. Camp; you will be remembered, and missed)

  9. #8
    steelhawk's Avatar
    steelhawk is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5
    Welcome, also. I just joined myself. Don't have Glocks, but that's OK.

  10. #9
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to learning tons from you guys. My gun should be in next Tuesday but in Maryland I believe there is a 7-day waiting period. So I should be able to pick it up the Tuesday or Wednesday after next. In the meantime I plan on learning all I can.

  11. #10
    FNISHR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Z1N1 View Post
    Isn't it true there there is SD ammo for the 9mm's that can make them compare to a standard 45? I've read so much lately that all this info is spinning in my head right now. I'm sure Federal HPs was one I remember.
    There certainly are SD rounds with more stopping power than the FMJ stuff most of us practice with. Some of the more senior people here can explain the whys and wherefores of that a lot better than I can. I generally use relatively cheap ball rounds to practice with, and Speer Gold Dots when the Glock is on my night stand.

  12. #11
    NMpops is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    Posts
    52
    You shouldn't feel you need a 23 for home defense. A 9mm is just fine and the ammo is cheaper.

  13. #12
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by FNISHR View Post
    There certainly are SD rounds with more stopping power than the FMJ stuff most of us practice with. Some of the more senior people here can explain the whys and wherefores of that a lot better than I can. I generally use relatively cheap ball rounds to practice with, and Speer Gold Dots when the Glock is on my night stand.
    the INFO is spinning in your head, now imagine a 9mm round spinning there ...... or a 45 round..... or a .32 ....the honest truth is no matter which round is spinning in your head, you're most likely dead. its placement more than caliber, weight, or fps

  14. #13
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by NMpops View Post
    You shouldn't feel you need a 23 for home defense. A 9mm is just fine and the ammo is cheaper.
    Picked up 200 rounds of 115gr Winchester Whitebox for $52. That was including tax. Cheap practice ammo!

    For SD ammo I hear the same four or five mention time and again. The first I'd like to test is Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P.

  15. #14
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Welcome. I have a gen 3 G19 on me right now. If you can have only one handgun, the G19 is the best one to have in my humble opinion.

  16. #15
    Cat's Avatar
    Cat
    Cat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fla./ Levittown, PA
    Posts
    473
    Welcome Z1N1,From Jax's Florida..

  17. #16
    Cat's Avatar
    Cat
    Cat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fla./ Levittown, PA
    Posts
    473
    Glock made a new recoil spring for the gen-4,That fixes some glocks that have the old spring.That was not made right.So that fixed the ejection of shells with the gen4.

    Recoil Spring Exchange Program | GLOCK USA

  18. #17
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SMann View Post
    Welcome. I have a gen 3 G19 on me right now. If you can have only one handgun, the G19 is the best one to have in my humble opinion.
    That's the conclusion I came to after much research. Best all-purpose gun in my price range anyway. I'm eying up some 1911's already too. lol

    One that keeps drawing my attention is the USFA 1911. Sadly, it clocks in at around $2,000!

  19. #18
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Welcome Z1N1,From Jax's Florida..
    Thanks man. I go your way for Disney World (for the kids :-D) but other than that I can't take the humidity. lol

  20. #19
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Glock made a new recoil spring for the gen-4,That fixes some glocks that have the old spring.That was not made right.So that fixed the ejection of shells with the gen4.

    Recoil Spring Exchange Program | GLOCK USA
    Thanks for the information man. I probably still would have went for the Gen 3 due to the handle and it's slightly cheaper too. I guess by only $50 on average.

  21. #20
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    the INFO is spinning in your head, now imagine a 9mm round spinning there ...... or a 45 round..... or a .32 ....the honest truth is no matter which round is spinning in your head, you're most likely dead. its placement more than caliber, weight, or fps
    I'll agree with that.

  22. #21
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    A good 9mm (Glock19 for example), a quality 1911 and a good revolver (probably Smith & Wesson) are the first three must haves for any collection if you ask me. Sounds like you are working on #2 of the 3 already. Good stuff.

  23. #22
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Great choice going with the Glock

    I have a G17 my brother's first gun was a G19

  24. #23
    jdw68 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    122
    I have a glock 26 and find that it is an easy gun to shoot accurately. The 9mm cartridge is under-rated IMO. ATK ballistics tests have demonstrated 147 grain Federal HST's to penetrate 13.25 and expand to .821, while 124 grain Gold Dots penetrated 13.25 and expanded to .665. Anyone who cannot defend themselves with these rounds needs practice more than they need a different caliber Cool thing about the Glock 19 is that it hold 15 rounds in a small package! Good choice! But what do I know?

  25. #24
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw68 View Post
    I have a glock 26 and find that it is an easy gun to shoot accurately. The 9mm cartridge is under-rated IMO. ATK ballistics tests have demonstrated 147 grain Federal HST's to penetrate 13.25 and expand to .821, while 124 grain Gold Dots penetrated 13.25 and expanded to .665. Anyone who cannot defend themselves with these rounds needs practice more than they need a different caliber Cool thing about the Glock 19 is that it hold 15 rounds in a small package! Good choice! But what do I know?
    Yeah...The 9mm round has made an awful lot of souls, over the last one hundred years, occupy the ever-after. It gets the job done, but like you, what do I know?

  26. #25
    Z1N1's Avatar
    Z1N1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw68 View Post
    I have a glock 26 and find that it is an easy gun to shoot accurately. The 9mm cartridge is under-rated...Anyone who cannot defend themselves with these rounds needs practice more than they need a different caliber Cool thing about the Glock 19 is that it hold 15 rounds in a small package! Good choice! But what do I know?
    Exactly! Besides, I'm purchasing it as a range gun first, protection if needed. But I live in a very low crime area so not too worried about it. In 17 years in my neighborhood, there has been three reported crimes. All petty theft. If someone wants the old rocking chair sitting on my porch that bad, they can have it.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best glock to buy as first time gun owner
,
first time glock 19 owner
,

first time glock owner

,
first time gun glock 23
,
first time gun owner glock 23
,
frist time gun owner 1911 9mm
,
glock 19 gen 3 vs gen 4
,
glock 26 for first time owner
,
highly rated handgun for first time owner
,
is a glock 23 good for first time gun owner?
,
sd ammo for glock26
,
what should first time glock owner buy
Click on a term to search for related topics.