Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: New from KY

  1. #1
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Thumbs up New from KY

    Hello,
    I am a 43 yr old female from KY just completed the CCDW class today taught by Joe Kalil....I work in health care..

    I believe that any LAW Abiding citizen should have the right to protect themsleves..Now I have to try and find a gun that is smalll easy to conceal and powerful...............

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Congratulations on completing the course and welcome to the forum.

    You will hear many recomendations regarding the gun you need so I will try to steer you correctly before all these others give you bad advice.

    Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line of Semi Auto's you will probably like one of the selection. Try before you buy however.

    Good luck.


  4. #3
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,185
    Welcome to the site!

    May I suggest a sub-compact Glock in .40 or .357; or, if you prefer revolvers, perhaps a S&W J-frame .357 Magnum? The Glock(s) will be easier to shoot well, but the Smith might be easier to hide, depending on dress, mode of carry, etc.

  5. #4
    sesquipedalian101's Avatar
    sesquipedalian101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    Hello,
    I am a 43 yr old female from KY just completed the CCDW class today taught by Joe Kalil....I work in health care..

    I believe that any LAW Abiding citizen should have the right to protect themsleves..
    Congratulations!! And welcome to the world of concealed carry!

    If you are into reading research-type-stuff, check out John Lott Jr.'s "More Guns Less Crime." It turns out that "shall issue" laws actually reduce crime -- by at least 8%; however, the biggest effect comes from the ladies becoming licensed to carry...

    So, way to go; even if you never have to use it (and I certainly hope you do not), your friends, neighbors, and people like me are safer because of you stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    Now I have to try and find a gun that is smalll easy to conceal and powerful...............
    If there is a good range in your area that rents firearms, I would suggest you go there and try some different makes, models, calibers, et cetera.

    While you are at it, I would also suggest that your first, most important criteria be something that "fits." While most people can become proficient with most guns, having something that "feels like an extension of your body" makes everything so much easier. Being able to draw from concealment and hit where you want to hit in less than a second is the key skill. "Stopping power" is useless unless you have speed; speed is useless unless you have accuracy. One well-placed .22 beats a whole magazine of near misses from a magnum.

    For what it's worth...

    -101-

  6. #5
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026

  7. #6
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Welcome to the forum!


    Now I'll go stumble away from the computer for a while because I've been blinded by Ram Rod's welcome.

  8. #7
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Welcome aboard!

    You will get as many opinions as there are forum members.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  9. #8
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Smile

    Welcome from down in the swamp. Enjoy.

  10. #9
    Clyde's Avatar
    Clyde is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    169
    Welcome - Joe is a great guy......

    My wife carries a Glock 19 but due to recent surgery she has been using a Smith & Wesson 442 revolver.

    Recommendation- try to shoot as many different firearms as possible.

  11. #10
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Congratulations on completing the course and welcome to the forum.

    You will hear many recomendations regarding the gun you need so I will try to steer you correctly before all these others give you bad advice.

    Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line of Semi Auto's you will probably like one of the selection. Try before you buy however.

    Good luck.

    Hey thanks, I have been thinking along the lines of the Smith & wesson Semi- I used one of the trainers Glock 22 in class and I like the magazine reload compared to the revolver reload....Not enough time to reload a revolver if you are in need of shooting someone in self defense...

  12. #11
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by sesquipedalian101 View Post
    Congratulations!! And welcome to the world of concealed carry!

    If you are into reading research-type-stuff, check out John Lott Jr.'s "More Guns Less Crime." It turns out that "shall issue" laws actually reduce crime -- by at least 8%; however, the biggest effect comes from the ladies becoming licensed to carry...

    So, way to go; even if you never have to use it (and I certainly hope you do not), your friends, neighbors, and people like me are safer because of you stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility. Thank you!



    If there is a good range in your area that rents firearms, I would suggest you go there and try some different makes, models, calibers, et cetera.

    While you are at it, I would also suggest that your first, most important criteria be something that "fits." While most people can become proficient with most guns, having something that "feels like an extension of your body" makes everything so much easier. Being able to draw from concealment and hit where you want to hit in less than a second is the key skill. "Stopping power" is useless unless you have speed; speed is useless unless you have accuracy. One well-placed .22 beats a whole magazine of near misses from a magnum.

    For what it's worth...

    -101-
    You know one can never be to safe these days 8yrs ago when I moved from the inner city to the rural county, I bought me a 410 gage shot gun and buck shot to go in it, I meant businss if I had to use it, at the time it was the only gun my husband & I owned....

    I live near a target range but no one rents guns I have seriously thinking about a semi automatic smith & wesson I like the revovler But I want fast and quick reload if I need to use a gun....

  13. #12
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Welcome - Joe is a great guy......

    My wife carries a Glock 19 but due to recent surgery she has been using a Smith & Wesson 442 revolver.

    Recommendation- try to shoot as many different firearms as possible.
    Do you know Joe Kalil??

    My husband has a cousin that has a small gun she carries in her purse but I am not sure what it is?? but I was thinking along the lines of a Smith & Wesson semi 3 magazines?? I used one of Joes Semi auto guns for the class.

  14. #13
    sesquipedalian101's Avatar
    sesquipedalian101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    *snip* I like the revovler But I want fast and quick reload if I need to use a gun....
    I personally like revolvers -- if a cartridge misfires (they almost never jam); you only have to cycle the action again. On a double action (which is not my personal favorite), that simply means pulling the trigger again.

    Regardless of my personal bias, I'll repeat again -- use what is most comfortable and most "natural" for you (even if that is a semi). What is "fastest" (reload or otherwise) for somebody else ain't necessarily fastest for you. A large part of speed, proficiency, and precision comes from practice; that "extra edge" comes from applying that practice to something that "naturally fits" in the first place...

    Oh, and check out http://splodetv.com/fast-revolver-reload before you automatically (pun intended) assume that semi-autos are "faster" than revolvers...

    -101-

  15. #14
    sesquipedalian101's Avatar
    sesquipedalian101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    My husband has a cousin that has a small gun she carries in her purse but I am not sure what it is??
    My bride is a "petite" lady. For a period of time, we "lived in two houses" (bought a new place before selling the old) and she spent a lot of time on the road between the two. She has a really nice .357 that she likes to carry and shoot; but, a large frame .357 single-action sticks out on her, even when it is "concealed," like an orange in an ostrich's neck. She just has no place to put it.

    We considered a small, "flat," semi-auto; but, she didn't like that idea and we couldn't find one that "felt right" (see previous posts, above). I finally found one that worked (both as a firearm and as an anniversary gift) -- a "Black Widow." It is similar to the other North American Arms "Mini-guns" but, in .22 mag is has a bit more "punch." Best of all, its barrel is a bit longer, its sights are standard-sized and (drift) adjustable, and its grips are full sized and make it feel like a much larger firearm when you hold it -- all while remaining small enough to "disappear" on my bride -- no mean trick itself. It might not be the most powerful gun around, but she can put all five shots through a two-bit-piece-sized circle at 25 feet -- that makes it adequate. She also takes advantage of its penetration -- every other round is a Winchester FMJ which may actually be more effective against some types of body armor (no expansion; "ice pick" effect) than its larger diameter more powerful cousins...

    Keep in mind, I am NOT recommending this firearm for your use. It fit (pun intended) a specific need and it requires considerable practice to be proficient with it. You HAVE to put the shots in the right place for it to be effective. I am just speculating on what the "small gun" you saw might have been... You can check it out at http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_BlackWidow.htm and also see if it or any of the other "mini-guns" pictured there match what you saw in your cousin-in-law's purse.

    -101-

  16. #15
    js's Avatar
    js
    js is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    3,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    jesus christ! I just had a seizure!
    "bing bang boom! hair out...hamburger time" - William Murderface

  17. #16
    teknoid's Avatar
    teknoid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    192
    Welcome from a fellow Kentuckian!

    There are a lot of small semi's that would fit the bill, the M&P is one of them. I can't really understand the need for more capacity than a good snubbie would provide, though. The only places I can think of that I would need more than five shots, are the cities where I couldn't carry (legally) anyway. Even in the west end of Louisville, five should do it.

    Try going to a good gun shop, and hold all you can. I don't know what area of the state you're in, but Bud's (in Paris) is great to deal with.

  18. #17
    sesquipedalian101's Avatar
    sesquipedalian101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Kentuckian!
    *snip*
    Try going to a good gun shop, and hold all you can.
    Dang, Teknoid's fast. After posting and turning in last night, I realized I had not dispensed my "standard advice" of "go to a friendly store and hold as many different firearms as they will let you try." I figured I could pop that up this morning and have three-posts in a row; but, Teknoid not only beat me to the follow-up post, T also "stole ma thunder"

    About the only thing I usually add is look for something that not only "feels natural" but that "points naturally" too. IMnsHO, sights are not for "getting on target"; if your firearm "points naturally" it should already be on target by the time you get a "flash" of the sights to tweak the final alignment and confirm the point of impact...

    Oh, and if you do find something you'd like to try w/o anyplace that rents firearms close by, you might ask the store if there is a gun club or an instructor or some other local resource where you could try the same firearm -- even in a different caliber -- before you lay out the cash.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    *snip*
    I live near a target range but no one rents guns...
    You might also go to that "target range" you mentioned and "put out the word." Once you find out what model(s) interest you, you might find a "deal" from a patron who has a used one to sell. Worst case, they ought to have a bulletin board with notices for lost cats, dogs, and children where you can post a note ("Local Lady will trade a box of ammo for chance to try [fill in make and model here]").

    My wife would probably go "drop in" when they have meets or open practice and employ what she calls "HFM" when somebody with a firearm of interest showed up. At least with my bride, most guys fall for that like dominoes (which is why she always buys the fencing supplies or construction materials in our family ) -- who knows, they might even provide the ammo...

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    *snip*
    I bought me a 410 gage shot gun and buck shot to go in it, I meant businss if I had to use it, at the time it was the only gun my husband & I owned....
    I love a .410 bore myself; however, at least around here, factory ammo (buckshot or otherwise) is at least twice (2X) what you would pay for 12 gauge! If you practice with the "little gun," regularly, you might want to consider reloading. A box of shells takes me about 15 minutes to load with a single stage MEC and costs about 1/2 of the local 12 gauge price...

    For Sure, let us know what you decide to buy/do!

    Just another thought or two...

    -101-

  19. #18
    teknoid's Avatar
    teknoid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    192
    Dang, Teknoid's fast. After posting and turning in last night, I realized I had not dispensed my "standard advice" of "go to a friendly store and hold as many different firearms as they will let you try." I figured I could pop that up this morning and have three-posts in a row; but, Teknoid not only beat me to the follow-up post, T also "stole ma thunder"
    Hey, timing is important!

    I've never been to this range:
    http://openrangesports.com/
    but it looks like they have rentals- Crestwood

    Another thought- There are a few folks here on the board from KY. Possibly, one might live in the same area. If so, it might be possible to meet at a range and try a couple out. I'm way out in the boonies, but always look for any excuse I can get to head for the range. I'm sure others are the same.

  20. #19
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by sesquipedalian101 View Post
    My bride is a "petite" lady. For a period of time, we "lived in two houses" (bought a new place before selling the old) and she spent a lot of time on the road between the two. She has a really nice .357 that she likes to carry and shoot; but, a large frame .357 single-action sticks out on her, even when it is "concealed," like an orange in an ostrich's neck. She just has no place to put it.

    We considered a small, "flat," semi-auto; but, she didn't like that idea and we couldn't find one that "felt right" (see previous posts, above). I finally found one that worked (both as a firearm and as an anniversary gift) -- a "Black Widow." It is similar to the other North American Arms "Mini-guns" but, in .22 mag is has a bit more "punch." Best of all, its barrel is a bit longer, its sights are standard-sized and (drift) adjustable, and its grips are full sized and make it feel like a much larger firearm when you hold it -- all while remaining small enough to "disappear" on my bride -- no mean trick itself. It might not be the most powerful gun around, but she can put all five shots through a two-bit-piece-sized circle at 25 feet -- that makes it adequate. She also takes advantage of its penetration -- every other round is a Winchester FMJ which may actually be more effective against some types of body armor (no expansion; "ice pick" effect) than its larger diameter more powerful cousins...

    Keep in mind, I am NOT recommending this firearm for your use. It fit (pun intended) a specific need and it requires considerable practice to be proficient with it. You HAVE to put the shots in the right place for it to be effective. I am just speculating on what the "small gun" you saw might have been... You can check it out at http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_BlackWidow.htm and also see if it or any of the other "mini-guns" pictured there match what you saw in your cousin-in-law's purse.

    -101-
    I shot a 22? semi auto that the instructor let me use?? I am just thinking quick loading I like the revolver also but I really like the magazine reload?

  21. #20
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Gun shops

    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Kentuckian!

    There are a lot of small semi's that would fit the bill, the M&P is one of them. I can't really understand the need for more capacity than a good snubbie would provide, though. The only places I can think of that I would need more than five shots, are the cities where I couldn't carry (legally) anyway. Even in the west end of Louisville, five should do it.

    Try going to a good gun shop, and hold all you can. I don't know what area of the state you're in, but Bud's (in Paris) is great to deal with.
    I live in Verona,KY I think Marks Gun shop is a bit high in Florence,KY because what they want for used you can pay about the same for new,when I buy I want one that no one hs owned as far as a first gun...

  22. #21
    teknoid's Avatar
    teknoid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    192
    Verona looks to be as far away from everything as Corbin is. We're lucky, and have three pretty good gun dealers here. If everyone around you is high, maybe you could just use them to decide what you want. Then you could buy it online from Bud's, or take a road trip there like I've done in the past.

    If you decide to buy local, compare the price asked to Bud's
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

    Maybe the local shop will match it. Some do, some don't.

  23. #22
    Clyde's Avatar
    Clyde is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    Do you know Joe Kalil??

    My husband has a cousin that has a small gun she carries in her purse but I am not sure what it is?? but I was thinking along the lines of a Smith & Wesson semi 3 magazines?? I used one of Joes Semi auto guns for the class.

    I do indeed know Joe - I have not taken any of his classes but have burned powder with him. (IDPA matches) Fine Fellow and I recommend his classes to people looking at CCW -

  24. #23
    sesquipedalian101's Avatar
    sesquipedalian101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriosGeorge View Post
    *snip*
    I am just thinking quick loading I like the revolver also but I really like the magazine reload?
    Okay, if you have a Laura Croft style weapon's belt with pre-mounted clips, you probably aren't going to get a revolver to reload as fast as a semi-auto; certainly not two revolvers. On the other hand, there is no reason, with normal dexterity and desire and practice that you cannot become significantly faster with the right revolver than most people are with a semi-auto. Check out http://splodetv.com/fast-revolver-reload to see what can be done with a revolver and a rack of speed loaders. (Or rent the second Dirty Harry movie and watch the participants on the "alley" course.)

    You would need a top-break, or a swing out, or a roll out style of revolver to go with the speed-loader; and you'd need to practice. Still, even some of the old, single action black-powder revolvers could be reloaded pretty swiftly by swapping cylinders. This can work with modern revolvers too; I remember, as a kid, seeing a Deputy Sheriff carrying a .38 with multiple, loaded cylinders (not speed-loaders) attached to his belt.

    If you like a semi-auto best, go for it; but, if reloading speed is all that is keeping you away from a revolver, honestly, seriously, check out http://splodetv.com/fast-revolver-reload to see where the upper limit for revolver reloading gun-craft lies .

    -101-

  25. #24
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Area you live in

    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Verona looks to be as far away from everything as Corbin is. We're lucky, and have three pretty good gun dealers here. If everyone around you is high, maybe you could just use them to decide what you want. Then you could buy it online from Bud's, or take a road trip there like I've done in the past.

    If you decide to buy local, compare the price asked to Bud's
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

    Maybe the local shop will match it. Some do, some don't.
    My mother is from Laurel Co.KY that is about 160 miles from me, she does not live there now though, corbin is not that far away, and what about Berea??

  26. #25
    CuriousGeorge's Avatar
    CuriousGeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    14

    Joe Kalil

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I do indeed know Joe - I have not taken any of his classes but have burned powder with him. (IDPA matches) Fine Fellow and I recommend his classes to people looking at CCW -
    He gives one hell of a class I would reccommend him to anyone he is one awesome teacher....I am so glad I took his class....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

marks gun shop northern ky

Click on a term to search for related topics.