Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22

    Recommendations for cheap, comfortable IWB holster?

    Hi all! I've been carrying my Glock 23 in a Double Triple IWB nylon holster for a few years now because I got it for practically nothing. While it gets the job done, I've always had a few gripes. Some days it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it just isn't that comfortable to wear, especially when I'm sitting down for long periods of time. I also don't like how difficult it is to re-holster the gun after shooting.

    Since Christmas is coming up, I've been looking for a better IWB holster to replace this one, but since money is a bit tight this year, my wife and I don't want to break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good IWB holster they like that wasn't too expensive?

    Also, I'm left handed, so either the holster would need to be interchangeable between right and left, or have a left-handed model available.
    Last edited by 1YoungGun; 12-01-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Additional Info

  2. #2
    EliWolfe is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    501
    Should be a ton of options out there for you. I would stay away from the Kydex models since I've heard they are tough on Glock finishes if you practice a lot of draws. I will leave it to the Glock folks for specifics!
    Eli

  3. #3
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    I'd recommend High Noon Holsters. Their two cheaper holsters, the Bare Asset and the Mr. Softy, are leather, less than $40 with shipping, and both available in left hand.

    I just got the Bare Asset a month or so ago and have been quite pleased with it, especially since most other holsters I've seen in that range are Kydex or nylon.

    KG

  4. #4
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by EliWolfe View Post
    Should be a ton of options out there for you. I would stay away from the Kydex models since I've heard they are tough on Glock finishes if you practice a lot of draws. I will leave it to the Glock folks for specifics!
    Eli
    Thanks for the heads up Eli. I'll watch out for them.

    kg333
    I'd recommend High Noon Holsters. Their two cheaper holsters, the Bare Asset and the Mr. Softy, are leather, less than $40 with shipping, and both available in left hand.

    I just got the Bare Asset a month or so ago and have been quite pleased with it, especially since most other holsters I've seen in that range are Kydex or nylon.

    KG
    Those are definitely within my price range (I'm shooting for around $40). How long do you usually wear your Bare Asset in a single sitting? Is it comfortable, even when sitting down for long periods of time?

  5. #5
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,566
    How much did your Glock cost?
    And you want to carry it in a $40.00 holster? On what belt?

    Save your money until you can afford a better rig.
    Set your mind to spending at least $100.00 on the holster, and at least $50.00 on the belt.
    Maybe more.

    High Noon makes pretty good stuff. So does Galco.
    But there are better, more comfortable, custom-made rigs out there.

  6. #6
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    How much did your Glock cost?
    And you want to carry it in a $40.00 holster? On what belt?

    Save your money until you can afford a better rig.
    Set your mind to spending at least $100.00 on the holster, and at least $50.00 on the belt.
    Maybe more.

    High Noon makes pretty good stuff. So does Galco.
    But there are better, more comfortable, custom-made rigs out there.
    Are there any specific holsters you would recommend then? Like I said, I've always carried it in the Double Triple, so I'm not very familiar with which holsters are really good and which are not worth bothering with. Is there a specific holster style you would recommend based on the aforementioned criteria (comfortable to wear for a long period of time, easy to conceal in the waist band, comfortable when sitting, etc.) or does it not really matter as long as its well made?

  7. #7
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by 1YoungGun View Post
    Those are definitely within my price range (I'm shooting for around $40). How long do you usually wear your Bare Asset in a single sitting? Is it comfortable, even when sitting down for long periods of time?
    Still waiting to pick up the CCDW license, so only for a couple hours at a time around the house so far. It's been about as comfortable as strapping a large hunk of steel to your hip can be expected, so I usually just put it in my desk drawer if I'm sitting for long periods.

    Steve has some valid points, though, putting some money into a good holster and belt will be worth it in the long run. I didn't in my case, but I'm carrying a $200 Cz-82, so putting it into a $150 rig was a bit outside my budget for a while yet.

    KG

  8. #8
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,566
    High-End IWB Holsters
    click on: K.L. Null Holsters Home Page (see the UNS model) - $120.00
    or on: mitch rosen gunleather (the USD-EXP in the "Express Line") - $90.00

    Somewhat Cheaper
    click on: Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters - $72.00

    There are lots more, but you need to do your own search.

  9. #9
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by kg333 View Post
    Still waiting to pick up the CCDW license, so only for a couple hours at a time around the house so far. It's been about as comfortable as strapping a large hunk of steel to your hip can be expected, so I usually just put it in my desk drawer if I'm sitting for long periods.

    Steve has some valid points, though, putting some money into a good holster and belt will be worth it in the long run. I didn't in my case, but I'm carrying a $200 Cz-82, so putting it into a $150 rig was a bit outside my budget for a while yet.

    KG
    That makes sense. My problem is there's almost always other people around me throughout the day and I don't have a private office, so I'm usually wearing concealed until I get home in the evening.

    Steve M1911A1

    High-End IWB Holsters
    click on: K.L. Null Holsters Home Page (see the UNS model) - $120.00
    or on: mitch rosen gunleather (the USD-EXP in the "Express Line") - $90.00

    Somewhat Cheaper
    click on: Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters - $72.00

    There are lots more, but you need to do your own search.
    Thanks for the info Steve, this definitely helps point me in the right direction. Now that I have the names of several good brands I can shop around and see what I like best. Its a big help!

  10. #10
    Brevard13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    314
    I love the Kydex holsters. I have a NTAC and it has been my favorite so far...but I don't carry IWB that much. I bought a Wild Bill holster at the local gun show. I liked it.

    I would stay away from anything with the metal clips (like the cheap boot knife clips). In my experience they tend to bend and then the holster doesn't stay snug. I recommend getting the holters that have the snaps. This way you can take it off and put it back on without ever taking off your belt.

    Galco makes some nice leather IWB holsters. Like the summer comfort. It is cowhide, seemed to be high quality and is actually priced pretty reasonable.

    I havent heard much on the inner piece IWB holster but have seen them advertised. May be worth checking into.

  11. #11
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    So many opinions.....that vary so much. It is also my contention if you own an expensive gun put it in a good holster. Wear a good belt.
    I am not sure you have to break the 100 dollar mark to get a good holster. As a matter of fact I am sure you don't. I have many holsters no cheapies. Good luck..


    RCG

  12. #12
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    I agree with Steve whole heartedly on buying quality. Most often, cheap and comfortable don't go too well in the same sentence.

    I've been using Kirkpatrick leather holsters for a couple of years now, and their quality is very good. Comfort is great and the price isn't astronomical and neither are the wait times.

    Check this one out Hidden Defense

    They are actually having a sale on packages right now. $10 off if you buy a belt, holster and mag carrier.

    Also, can't stress enough the importance of a good quality gun belt. A Wal-mart or JCPenneys belt is just not going to cut it long term.

  13. #13
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by recoilguy View Post
    So many opinions.....that vary so much. It is also my contention if you own an expensive gun put it in a good holster. Wear a good belt.
    I am not sure you have to break the 100 dollar mark to get a good holster. As a matter of fact I am sure you don't. I have many holsters no cheapies. Good luck..


    RCG
    Any makers in particular? I would prefer leather to kydex if I have the option, but that definitely adds more $$$ to the equation.

  14. #14
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    I agree with Steve whole heartedly on buying quality. Most often, cheap and comfortable don't go too well in the same sentence.

    I've been using Kirkpatrick leather holsters for a couple of years now, and their quality is very good. Comfort is great and the price isn't astronomical and neither are the wait times.

    Check this one out Hidden Defense

    They are actually having a sale on packages right now. $10 off if you buy a belt, holster and mag carrier.

    Also, can't stress enough the importance of a good quality gun belt. A Wal-mart or JCPenneys belt is just not going to cut it long term.
    Thanks for the link. Could you tell me a little more about what qualities I should be looking for in a belt?

  15. #15
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by 1YoungGun View Post
    ...Could you tell me a little more about what qualities I should be looking for in a belt?
    • The pistol belt's width should match the slots, loops, or tunnel of your holster, so the holster can't wriggle or slide.
    • The belt should be stiff, so the holster-and-gun combination won't sag.
    • The belt's buckle should be solid and unbreakable.

    Galco makes excellent belts, as do many other makers. Galco's buckles are better than most.
    Some makers use two layers of leather to make a belt. That is a minimum. Other makers add an interlining of stiffening material, which is nice but not absolutely necessary.
    One maker says that he uses only "bull leather," but that is mostly bull pucky, since there's really no way to tell. Bull or cow, high-quality leather is high-quality leather.
    A good gun belt should be at least 3/16" thick, and 1/4" is better. A thick outer layer and a thinner lining layer is an OK combination, as is two layers of equal thickness. The important criterion is stiffness, not thickness or what sex the donor animal was.

  16. #16
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    The pistol belt's width should match the slots, loops, or tunnel of your holster, so the holster can't wriggle or slide.
    The belt should be stiff, so the holster-and-gun combination won't sag.
    The belt's buckle should be solid and unbreakable.

    Galco makes excellent belts, as do many other makers. Galco's buckles are better than most.
    Some makers use two layers of leather to make a belt. That is a minimum. Other makers add an interlining of stiffening material, which is nice but not absolutely necessary.
    One maker says that he uses only "bull leather," but that is mostly bull pucky, since there's really no way to tell. Bull or cow, high-quality leather is high-quality leather.
    A good gun belt should be at least 3/16" thick, and 1/4" is better. A thick outer layer and a thinner lining layer is an OK combination, as is two layers of equal thickness. The important criterion is stiffness, not thickness or what sex the donor animal was.
    Thanks for the info. This will definitely help me know what to look for.

  17. #17
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,197
    While i often agree with Steve, on this i am going to reverse his recomendation. Spend the GOOD money on the belt. (Galco contour belt is about $100 near me). My Galco has been retired now after 3 years. WHy? because i have dropped a full 2" in waist and could not put anny more belt holes in it. I carried both a pistol (IWB or OWB, and OFTEn a 18 or 19.6 volt drill (on a monster hook) on that belt for those full three years. It is still viable, and i wish i had a friend who carried that it fit. i would pass it on to them.
    And I like for IWB (FS or Compact M&P9, Glock 19 after i receive my new one) the Comp-tac spartan. (about $65) This is a hybrid, so if you want to avoid kydex, then ignore this part. (then look at K&D holsters, second most comfortable IWB i have ever worn).
    So there is my "reverse the cost" About $100 on MY preffered belt (and yes there are other nice belts for less) and $65 on a good (and changeable) holster.

    How long have i worn it. All day. sitting, lifting, carrying, driving. Quite comfy. (not as much with FS driving, but that has to do with the longer grip on the pistol. Still forget it is ther after i have been in the car seeat for a few mins.)

    Good luck in your search. I, like many here, have... more thatn 1 or 2 "failures" for me for holsters.

  18. #18
    1YoungGun's Avatar
    1YoungGun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by niadhf View Post
    While i often agree with Steve, on this i am going to reverse his recomendation. Spend the GOOD money on the belt. (Galco contour belt is about $100 near me). My Galco has been retired now after 3 years. WHy? because i have dropped a full 2" in waist and could not put anny more belt holes in it. I carried both a pistol (IWB or OWB, and OFTEn a 18 or 19.6 volt drill (on a monster hook) on that belt for those full three years. It is still viable, and i wish i had a friend who carried that it fit. i would pass it on to them.
    And I like for IWB (FS or Compact M&P9, Glock 19 after i receive my new one) the Comp-tac spartan. (about $65) This is a hybrid, so if you want to avoid kydex, then ignore this part. (then look at K&D holsters, second most comfortable IWB i have ever worn).
    So there is my "reverse the cost" About $100 on MY preffered belt (and yes there are other nice belts for less) and $65 on a good (and changeable) holster.

    How long have i worn it. All day. sitting, lifting, carrying, driving. Quite comfy. (not as much with FS driving, but that has to do with the longer grip on the pistol. Still forget it is ther after i have been in the car seeat for a few mins.)

    Good luck in your search. I, like many here, have... more thatn 1 or 2 "failures" for me for holsters.
    Thanks for the ideas. I would have never thought a belt would make that much of a difference, but I guess that's why it pays to talk to someone with experience. Thanks for the holster recommends. I've seen many posts where people have praised the Comp-tac (and also the SuperTuck, people seem to like one or the other) but if its going to wear the finish off of my Glock over time, I'd rather pay a little more for an all leather model. The K&Ds are definitely a good price though. I'll look into them and see if they're something I'd be interested in.

  19. #19
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,566
    Yeah, the belt is very, very important.
    I own the same Galco belt. It's well worth the money.
    If you carry a $65.00 or $75.00 Galco holster on that $100.00 Galco belt, you'll be well outfitted.

  20. #20
    Old Padawan's Avatar
    Old Padawan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    818
    Cheep holsters are like cheap booze. A great idea when you start but what a disappointment the next day...

    A little known fact... Galco will resize their belts if you loose weight. Three inches or more $25.00.
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

affordable iwb holster
,

best budget iwb holster

,
best cheap inside the waistband holster
,

best cheap iwb holster

,
best iwb holster
,
budget kydex holster
,
budget kydex iwb holster
,

cheap iwb holster

,
cheap iwb holster glock 23
,

good cheap iwb holster

,
iwb holster cheap
,

ths holsters

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1