Glock 42 Rear Sight Off Center

    Results 1 to 15 of 15
    Like Tree6Likes
    • 3 Post By SamBond
    • 1 Post By Steve M1911A1
    • 1 Post By Steve M1911A1
    • 1 Post By Steve M1911A1

    Thread: Glock 42 Rear Sight Off Center

    1. #1
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52

      Glock 42 Rear Sight Off Center

      I was unable to get a decent picture. However, it is very obvious that the rear sight of my Glock 42 is not centered on the slide. It is off center by about 1 1/2 to 2 centimeters. I'm surprised I have not noticed this before. I've had it a couple of months and have shot it several times, cleaned it, etc. I have not shot it since noticed it being off center. However, is shot okay the last time I shot it.......Is it possible the sight was off center from the factory and I just didn't notice it, or it is possible that somehow it has moved? The sight seems to be firmly attached. I will take it back to the gun shop where I bought it the next chance I get. However, your thoughts would be appreciated.

    2. #2
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,920
      Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
      I was unable to get a decent picture. However, it is very obvious that the rear sight of my Glock 42 is not centered on the slide. It is off center by about 1 1/2 to 2 centimeters. I'm surprised I have not noticed this before. I've had it a couple of months and have shot it several times, cleaned it, etc. I have not shot it since noticed it being off center. However, is shot okay the last time I shot it.......Is it possible the sight was off center from the factory and I just didn't notice it, or it is possible that somehow it has moved? The sight seems to be firmly attached. I will take it back to the gun shop where I bought it the next chance I get. However, your thoughts would be appreciated.
      2 centimeters (20mm) would have the sight hanging off the slide as its only 24mm wide...



      Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

    3. #3
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52
      The left edge of rear sight is approximately even with the side of the slide. And the right edge of rear sight is approximately 0.1 inch inside the right edge on the right side.

    4. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      41
      I'm not a Glock guy but it's possible the sight came that way and is correctly sighted as is.
      You might want to shoot it off sandbags to see if it hits POI before you think about moving it.

      Sam
      Steve M1911A1, bluewave and denner like this.

    5. #5
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      8,098
      ...And if you have to move it, all you need is a short length of dowel and a small, lightweight hammer.


      Where is it hitting?
      Can you shoot a small, tight group with it, to find where its real point-of-impact is, relative to your point-of-aim?

      Try forming a small group of, say, five consecutive shots at about 10 feet from the target. If that works, move the target back to 15 feet, and try again. Then go to 20 feet. Is it still hitting in the same place? Let us know, preferably with captioned pictures of the targets, with the points-of-aim marked.
      bluewave likes this.

    6. #6
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52
      Thanks, I have shot very well with it the last couple of months. I just noticed the slide being off center and have not shot it since. I will shoot it again ASAP. However, it's possible it was off center and I just didn't notice. Thanks for your suggestions!

    7. #7
      Member rustygun's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      O-H-I-O
      Posts
      726
      The rear stock sights move pretty easy. You could have bumped it or it may have came that way. The stock sights are polymer. If you move it you may want to take it all the way off and put a drop of blue locktite in the dove tail and let it set up before shooting. The stock sights on every glock I own is the first thing I replace you may want to consider that option. You can get factory steel sights pretty cheap from glock or even night sights. If it is not something you feel comfortable doing yourself have a gunsmith do it. Why they put those polymer sights I will never understand.

    8. #8
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      ...And if you have to move it, all you need is a short length of dowel and a small, lightweight hammer.


      Where is it hitting?
      Can you shoot a small, tight group with it, to find where its real point-of-impact is, relative to your point-of-aim?

      Try forming a small group of, say, five consecutive shots at about 10 feet from the target. If that works, move the target back to 15 feet, and try again. Then go to 20 feet. Is it still hitting in the same place? Let us know, preferably with captioned pictures of the targets, with the points-of-aim marked.
      The shop where I bought the G 42 moved the sight back to a center position and as far as the accuracy it shot great. Unfortunately I started having some of the initial problems I had with the G 42 which were failures to feed and eject. Changing ammo solved the initial problems. However, the initial problems reappeared and a new problem developed which was that the magazine didn't want to stay seated and it would just drop out! It is at the shop now but I haven't received a report. I have seen reports that Glock has made several modifications to the G 42. I've about decided that it needs to go back to Glock.

    9. #9
      Member rustygun's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      O-H-I-O
      Posts
      726
      I would bet it is your grip causing the mag to drop. You were probably inadvertently hitting the mag release.

    10. #10
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52

      Operator error?

      Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
      The shop where I bought the G 42 moved the sight back to a center position and as far as the accuracy it shot great. Unfortunately I started having some of the initial problems I had with the G 42 which were failures to feed and eject. Changing ammo solved the initial problems. However, the initial problems reappeared and a new problem developed which was that the magazine didn't want to stay seated and it would just drop out! It is at the shop now but I haven't received a report. I have seen reports that Glock has made several modifications to the G 42. I've about decided that it needs to go back to Glock.
      OPERATOR ERROR? After continuing to complain about failures with my Glock 42, the shop owner shot it without any failures. He showed me the grip he was using which was much different from mine. He wrapped his left index finger around the front of the trigger guard. That provided a much, much firmer grip than the grip I was using. I have since fired about 200 rds. without any failures with the modified grip!

      I can shoot the Glock 42 accurately up to about 10 yds. At 15- 20 yds. the accuracy goes down but still shoots very well. I'm very pleased with the Glock 42 at this point!

    11. #11
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      8,098
      Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
      ...At 15- 20 yds. the accuracy goes down but still shoots very well...
      You do understand that this is not the fault of the gun. Right?
      I admit that the Glock trigger is not something that one would find on a bullseye pistol, but with practice, your accuracy will improve.
      Probably quite a lot.

      The best trigger-control practice is lots of dry-fire exercise.
      BZimm likes this.

    12. #12
      Member Blackhawkman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      ohio territory?
      Posts
      257
      First pistol? I thought so. Just take time to get familiar with your new pistol. Practice safe gun handling> keep your finger OFF the trigger til your ready to shoot. You will learn to like you're Glock. It is reliable & accurate too.

    13. #13
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52

      Not My First Rodeo

      Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkman View Post
      First pistol? I thought so. Just take time to get familiar with your new pistol. Practice safe gun handling> keep your finger OFF the trigger til your ready to shoot. You will learn to like you're Glock. It is reliable & accurate too.
      Definitely not my first pistol. It is my first small pistol. I also have several other Glock 9 mm, Colt 1911's, and S & W .38 special's. As far as safe gun handling, etc., I have conducted weapons training classes, including safety, marksmanship, etc.

    14. #14
      Junior Member bluewave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Stephenville, Texas
      Posts
      52
      [QUOTE=Steve M1911A1;438457]You do understand that this is not the fault of the gun. Right?

      Yes sir, I understand. I shoot very accurately up to 20-25 yds. with my 9mm Glock's. It is more difficult to shoot accurately with the small Glock 42 .380 past about 15 yds.

    15. #15
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      8,098
      My mentor, Mike Harries, was capable of consistent center hits at 50 yards with a Semmerling .45 (a mini-pistol, less than 4" long and high).
      I have never been capable of any center hits at 50 yards, with anything less than a carbine or rifle.
      Some of us got it, and some of us don't.
      BZimm likes this.

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •