What additional costs go along with a new gun purchase? - Page 2

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 21 to 40 of 42
    1. #21
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,860
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      What else would you use a gun for rather than casual shooting? I mean they're for protection but hopefully you dont have to go that far, right?
      Competition, training, high volumes of "casual shooting" and more advanced training classes...

    2. #22
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,860
      Quote Originally Posted by jakeleinen1 View Post
      ??? Um no, the factory glock triggers are fine...
      I think they suck.

    3. #23
      Member hud35500's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Southern CA
      Posts
      560
      Since you didn't mention CCW, I assume this will be a home defense/range pistol ? Before you get into buying accesories, buy a good supply of ammo and practice as much as possible. If you don't have alot a experience with fireams, get some good quality instruction. I would start off simple, then work you way into other accessories. For home defense, I would recommend night sights and a weapon flashlight. Lasers have their uses, but you cannot identify a target in the dark with one. I prefer Meprolight nightsights. They are less expensive than Trijicon and burn bright for years. For the price, you can't beat Streamlights TLR-3. You can get them all day for under $70. If you want a decent belt holster try Fobus. They are simple and tough(made in Israel). They also have mag carriers. Blackhawk also makes very good single/double mag carriers. If you want leather, try Galco or DeSantis. They're stuff is well made and reasonably priced.

      As a fellow Kalifornian and a law enforcement officer, I advise you not to alter the firearm in any way. Adding a set of night sights is fine, but intenal alterations are trouble if you intend to use it for defense. Prosecuting attorneys have a field day with altered firearms. Trigger work is fine if it's to be used strictly for taget shooting, but you may need it one day to defend yourself.

    4. #24
      Senior Member zhurdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Wyoming
      Posts
      1,251
      Owning a gun is not cheap. Becoming proficient with one is even less so.

    5. #25
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by hud35500 View Post
      Since you didn't mention CCW, I assume this will be a home defense/range pistol ? Before you get into buying accesories, buy a good supply of ammo and practice as much as possible. If you don't have alot a experience with fireams, get some good quality instruction. I would start off simple, then work you way into other accessories. For home defense, I would recommend night sights and a weapon flashlight. Lasers have their uses, but you cannot identify a target in the dark with one. I prefer Meprolight nightsights. They are less expensive than Trijicon and burn bright for years. For the price, you can't beat Streamlights TLR-3. You can get them all day for under $70. If you want a decent belt holster try Fobus. They are simple and tough(made in Israel). They also have mag carriers. Blackhawk also makes very good single/double mag carriers. If you want leather, try Galco or DeSantis. They're stuff is well made and reasonably priced.

      As a fellow Kalifornian and a law enforcement officer, I advise you not to alter the firearm in any way. Adding a set of night sights is fine, but intenal alterations are trouble if you intend to use it for defense. Prosecuting attorneys have a field day with altered firearms. Trigger work is fine if it's to be used strictly for taget shooting, but you may need it one day to defend yourself.
      Yes thanks for the advice, I don't plan on altering the gun. I''m not going to have a CCW license and I live in Kali. What exactly do the night sites do for you?

      Are you a police officer? Thanks again!

    6. #26
      Member hud35500's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Southern CA
      Posts
      560
      Nights sights aid in lining up your sights on a target at low light levels. They are fairly useless in total darkness(you must be able to ID the target). Some prefer a weapon mounted light, while others prefer a hand held light. I've trained and am comfortable with either. They both have their pros & cons. It comes down to how the firearm is used. Night sights are not worth the cost on a range only firearm, but as I said earlier, you might need it for defense, so why not have some cheap insurance ?

    7. #27
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      1,366
      So do the sights...
      Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
      I think they suck.

    8. #28
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
      I think they suck.
      What do you prefer? Cheap SPringfields?

    9. #29
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,860

      Re: What additional costs go along with a new gun purchase?

      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      What do you prefer? Cheap SPringfields?
      In some cases, yes. But I generally prefer more expensive HKs or more expensive 1911s, but that doesn't matter. We're not talking about getting a gun for me and my preferences are going to be different than most here.

      I have no issue with spending $50-$100 etc to upgrade a Glock trigger. I have certain preferences so that I'm going to change a number of things on pretty much anything I buy...that's life.

      Go buy your G19, start shooting the heck out of it, if there's something you don't like you can change it.

    10. #30
      Senior Member hideit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      west chester ohio
      Posts
      1,499
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      Are you serious? Do you prefer a holster that goes behind the back, or one thats in the front by your junk?
      on the strong side or crossdraw or shoulder holster under a coat jacket
      not in front and
      not in the back - unless you are standing all day and not sitting down

    11. #31
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by hideit View Post
      on the strong side or crossdraw or shoulder holster under a coat jacket
      not in front and
      not in the back - unless you are standing all day and not sitting down
      What's your preference? Probably depends on the situation.

    12. #32
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Poughkeepsie, NY
      Posts
      1,017
      Quote Originally Posted by hideit View Post
      on the strong side or crossdraw or shoulder holster under a coat jacket
      not in front and
      not in the back - unless you are standing all day and not sitting down
      Under an un-tucked shirt I find that just in front of the hip tells less and is less likely to get bumped into.

    13. #33
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
      Under an un-tucked shirt I find that just in front of the hip tells less and is less likely to get bumped into.
      Have you been at a party when someone stumbled into you? Probably awkward!

    14. #34
      Junior Member SigShooter599's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
      For self defence a laser site is GREAT!!
      Hate to differ but you're better off to learn to shoot than to buy a gadget. Learn to shoot, buy the toy later...

    15. #35
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      So when do you know your experienced enough? I dont get the last comment.

    16. #36
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,455
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      [Holster-position] preference? Probably depends on the situation.
      No, it doesn't.
      Experiment to find the best holster location for yourself, and always carry your pistol in that same place.
      If you switch it around, it won't be where you're reaching for it, when you need it in a save-your-life panic.


      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      So when do you know your experienced enough?...
      You are an experienced shooter when you can quickly and consistently hit the place at which you're aiming, at any distance from face-to-face out to at least 25 yards.
      You also need to know how to strip, clean, and reassemble your gun, quickly and efficiently.
      It helps, also, to know the applicable laws concerning guns, both state and federal.


      Lasers:
      A laser will not help you shoot. If you do not have control over your pistol, the laser will only "dance" all over your target. This is very confusing, visually, to the shooter.
      A laser can help you to practice your trigger control. If you can keep the laser's spot in the same place, all the way through your trigger press, your shooting will improve.
      A laser may seem worthwhile, but if your fundamental shooting skills are not fully developed (see "experienced," above), it is merely a confusing gimmick.
      A wiser man than I once said: "No gimmick, gadget, or miracle-of-the-week will ever absolve you from the need to learn and to practice good fundamental shooting skills."

    17. #37
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      No, it doesn't.
      Experiment to find the best holster location for yourself, and always carry your pistol in that same place.
      If you switch it around, it won't be where you're reaching for it, when you need it in a save-your-life panic.



      You are an experienced shooter when you can quickly and consistently hit the place at which you're aiming, at any distance from face-to-face out to at least 25 yards.
      You also need to know how to strip, clean, and reassemble your gun, quickly and efficiently.
      It helps, also, to know the applicable laws concerning guns, both state and federal.


      Lasers:
      A laser will not help you shoot. If you do not have control over your pistol, the laser will only "dance" all over your target. This is very confusing, visually, to the shooter.
      A laser can help you to practice your trigger control. If you can keep the laser's spot in the same place, all the way through your trigger press, your shooting will improve.
      A laser may seem worthwhile, but if your fundamental shooting skills are not fully developed (see "experienced," above), it is merely a confusing gimmick.
      A wiser man than I once said: "No gimmick, gadget, or miracle-of-the-week will ever absolve you from the need to learn and to practice good fundamental shooting skills."
      If you don't mind me asking, how many times have you had to bust out your weapon from your holster in a pinch?

    18. #38
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,860
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      No, it doesn't.
      Experiment to find the best holster location for yourself, and always carry your pistol in that same place.
      If you switch it around, it won't be where you're reaching for it, when you need it in a save-your-life panic.
      There's a lot of truth in this. I've seen plenty of students/competitors not able to consistently get their hand on their holster after responding to a stimulus. Not saying that it's due to multiple holster locations, but it does follow suit with "Hick's Law" and that multiple options = increased reaction times and having to think about where the gun is is going to further hamper speed of draw.

      However, with enough time and training/practice I know many people that carry multiple ways. I know a lot of officers that have to carry strong side in a duty rig but carry other ways while off duty.

      I've been complimented in the pat about how well I access my gun etc. and I attribute a lot of that to the gun being worn the same place regardless of which guns I'm carrying, I'm currently carrying in a different method than what has been the norm, but I make a point to do several draw-stroke presentations when holstering the gun and a couple "air gun draws" throughout the day as well as visualizing the drawing process and mentally reviewing my gun's position etc...



      But I digress, the OP of this thread has about as much to worry about holsters as I have to worry about zombie's from Mars attacking on the 8th day of the week. HE LIVES IN CALIFORNIA IN LA COUNTY, HE WILL NOT BE GETTING A CARRY PERMIT, and I doubt very much that he will be putting in for any non-resident permits any time soon....

      It's all good to think about, but lets not get overly fixated on holster issues until he at least buys a damn gun....I'm beginning to think the zombie martian attack is more likely to occur at this rate.

    19. #39
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Precisely!
      Thanks guys for the comments, you guys rock!

    20. #40
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,455
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, how many times have you had to bust out your weapon from your holster in a pinch?
      Thousands of times in competition.
      Twice, in real life.

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    additional costs buying firearm

    ,

    additional costs buying gun

    ,

    beretta px4 competition

    ,

    what are the additional costs when purchasing a gun

    Click on a term to search for related topics.