Why do cops prefer a glcok over any other gun?

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 34
    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521

      Why do cops prefer a glcok over any other gun?

      Anyone? Is it because its the best gun for that price range? Would you guys say that the glock is the most superior gun out there?

    2. #2
      Senior Member chessail77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      White Mtns. in AZ
      Posts
      1,349
      Glock has for years made very favorable deals with the departments to get their business, and that does not make their guns superior in any way...

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      So what is superior? Would you say a S&W or Beretta are a finer crafted fire arm?

    4. #4
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,536
      Your exact question was: "Why do cops prefer a Glock over any other gun?"

      The most accurate answer is: "They don't."

      Cops carry Glocks because their departments issue Glocks, not out of personal preference.

      Quote Originally Posted by chessail77 View Post
      Glock has for years made very favorable deals with the departments to get their business, and that does not make their guns superior in any way...

    5. #5
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      They can't carry their personal preference?

      If this is true, why do all cop departments choose glocks? Because they're the best out there?

    6. #6
      Senior Member niadhf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Rural New York
      Posts
      1,197

      Re: Why do cops prefer a glcok over any other gun?

      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      They can't carry their personal preference?

      If this is true, why do all cop departments choose glocks? Because they're the best out there?
      Because. Glock. Has. Often. Made. Very. Favorable. Deals. To. Police. Departments.
      Smith and Sig and HK are also doing such. It usually comes down to cost of the firearms, both purchase and maintenance costs

    7. #7
      Senior Member niadhf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Rural New York
      Posts
      1,197

      Re: Why do cops prefer a glcok over any other gun?

      Also ALL departments do not choose Glock. But Glock is very prevelant

    8. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      751
      Light weight is probably one reason. Clip exchangability. Simplicity. Ease of use (no safties). Cheap. Reliable. High capacity.

      Honestly its a wonder why more departments don't use the glock. It was estimated that 2/3 of departments use them. Thats a ton! The most prominant and recognizable LEOs are glock users - FBI, Marshalls, NYPD, etc...

      However I think the story is changing (sadly IMO). Here in Iowa the LEOs are changing over to Smith and Wessons. I have nothing against M&Ps but the reason for the switch in my opinion is simply to cut costs. Unfortunately in America we love our 1911s, and I think alot of LEO boys have trouble converting to the grip angle of a glock.

      To be fair I think the only real thing the glock has over the M&P tho is Polygonal Rifling and Track Record. Most polymer pistols are up to par with glock in todays market (NOT all though)

      When I become in law enforcement I hope the weapon of choice is Glock. Fantastic weapons IMO

    9. #9
      Senior Member chessail77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      White Mtns. in AZ
      Posts
      1,349
      First a Glock does not have a clip, it is a magazine. The most prominent and recognizable federal agencies where cost is not an overriding factor almost always make choices other than Glock. US Secret Service (who can have any handgun in the world) chose the Sig P229 in .357, US Navy Seals the Sig P226, US Coast Guard the Sig Sauer, Air Marshall Service has Sig Sauer. The S&W M&P is replacing Glocks with local police depts in increasing numbers not just because of cost but depts are finding it is an improvement as well. So your statement that police prefer Glocks is flawed because they Don't

    10. #10
      Junior Member mcLovin029's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Posts
      18
      Glocks are cheap and readily availible. It all comes down to the almighty dollar.
      Glock makes a good product, but in no way is it "superior" to all the other firearms in use by LEO's.

    11. #11
      rex
      rex is offline
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      FL
      Posts
      1,301
      Yes,cops don't prefer them but are stuck with dept issue.Some dept's have an issue gun and a roster of approved guns they can use if they buy it.

      In the beginning Glock's marketing stategy of "perfection" and simplicity impressed the dept's pencil pushers that often dictate equipment they will use.Glock also damn near gave them away to LE and bought up their present issued guns at a pretty fair penny to resell and make back some of the profit they lost on the contract.Alot of depts jumped on it of course,they'd be an idiot not to.In the last decade or so alot of depts went away from the Glock,the smarter ones first.The problem was they were tire of a serious increase of NDs,and if they didn't revert back to previous guns they shopped for new contracts.Not all depts operate the same though,even in the same area of the state.City and county don't even think alike.Glocks are still widely used but they've been slowly losing market share,and have to rely more on the private sector now to keep up volume.It's working,Glock has always had very aggressive marketing,better than Kimber.

    12. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Posts
      136
      I do know that I am not qualified to answer this question. I don't have any expertise in how departments make decisions on what guns they will carry. I do know that the Glock is a gun that brings out strong emotions in gun owners. Some people love the gun while others hate the gun. I think Glocks are great guns, but not any better than other quality gun maker. They do provide a simple, reliable gun that is easy to shoot accurately. They also come at a good price.

    13. #13
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      I love it

    14. #14
      Senior Member hideit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      west chester ohio
      Posts
      1,499
      steve is right - first glock had to prove themselves and THEY DID
      then to sell more glocks they gave police departments a great cost savings deal - then people bought what the police had - sales sales sales
      also - after 3 years the police could trade their old glock in and get $300 towards a new glock

      my LGS had several used police glocks and they went quick - that was several years ago

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      That sounds like a pretty danky deal if you ask me

    16. #16
      Junior Member Nanuk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Posts
      84
      I chose a Glock for several reasons:

      Lighter
      Higher capacity
      Robust aftermarket
      Value

      I have carried 1911's, Sig's, H&K's and Smith and Wesson's. I prefer the Glock, I shoot it better, besides if I trash it I can get another just like it for a good price.

    17. #17
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
      I chose a Glock for several reasons:

      Lighter
      Higher capacity
      Robust aftermarket
      Value

      I have carried 1911's, Sig's, H&K's and Smith and Wesson's. I prefer the Glock, I shoot it better, besides if I trash it I can get another just like it for a good price.
      Which glock do you have? Which do you prefer?

    18. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      They can't carry their personal preference?

      If this is true, why do all cop departments choose glocks? Because they're the best out there?
      It's as simple as entrepreneurship by the gun manufacturers! It's about selling a product, design or a good! Cost effectiveness obviously makes a difference, but like in any industry it's about the marketing, relationships, lobbying and so forth. They happen to have a large group of end users, Sig had a huge chunk of the market for a very long time. However, S&W is making a huge LE push and revitalization. A true example is in MA. MA State Police had sigs for years. Until recently. S&W offered to buy the department's Sigs from them, put that cash towards the purchases of outfitting the entire department with the new weapon. At the end of the day it's market penetration and recurring purchases!!!

      AND...Glocks are NOT the best out there in IMHO...

    19. #19
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932
      Incorrect. The departments are going over to M&Ps heavily due to the ergonomics. The interchangeable back-straps allow everyone from a 5'1" female officer to a 6'5" male officer to be comfortable with the same platform. The newest Gen 4 Glocks have attempted this, but not as well, and their having MAJOR issues.

      That, and the S&W guns are American made with better customer service.

      JW

    20. #20
      Junior Member Nanuk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Posts
      84
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGuy View Post
      Which glock do you have? Which do you prefer?
      I have a 27, 23 and 31C.

      I prefer the 27 for carry (357 Sig barrel, G23 mags with grip enhancer)
      I carry the 31C for work. The 23 was my first Glock (Gen 4).

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    what do most cops carry
    ,

    what glock do police carry

    ,

    what gun do cops use

    ,

    what gun do most police carry

    ,

    what gun do most police departments use 2015

    ,
    what gun do police carry
    ,
    what handgun do police use
    ,

    what kind of gun do police use

    ,

    what pistol do most police carry

    ,
    why do cops carry glocks
    ,

    why do cops use glocks

    ,
    why do most cops carry glocks
    Click on a term to search for related topics.