Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Thanatos's Avatar
    Thanatos is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    104

    About magazines....

    I briefly heard in passing that its not good to keep one particular magazine loaded 24/7 or the spring will wear out and may cause problems with feeding. Is there any truth to that, or I guess I should say have any of you ever had that problem?

    I have three mags for my G23. I have one loaded at all times, round in the chamber ready to go obviously. Now, when I go to the range, I use all three mags, so they are all being regularly used. What I don't do is make sure that I rotate out which mag I'm keeping loaded all the time.

    Any thoughts on this? Would it make a difference to make sure I rotate them out, and if so how often?

  2. #2
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Why does this particular question never die...it always comes back like, I dunno, it's spring-loaded or something.

    Anyways, answer is that leaving your spring in its current state, be that compressed or uncompressed, will have no wear effect on it. The cycling action is what wears your spring out. Those who load and unload a magazine every night to keep the spring from wearing out are doing exactly the wrong thing.

    That said, if you leave a magazine lying around for an extended period of time, it'll likely get dirt, dust, and other crud in it, which will cause feeding problems.

    In your particular situation, as long as the magazine you're leaving loaded is getting used (and hopefully also cleaned) regularly, you should be fine. If any of the more experienced members or those with Glocks can confirm or correct that, please do.

    KG

  3. #3
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by kg333 View Post
    Why does this particular question never die...it always comes back like, I dunno, it's spring-loaded or something.

    Anyways, answer is that leaving your spring in its current state, be that compressed or uncompressed, will have no wear effect on it. The cycling action is what wears your spring out. Those who load and unload a magazine every night to keep the spring from wearing out are doing exactly the wrong thing.

    That said, if you leave a magazine lying around for an extended period of time, it'll likely get dirt, dust, and other crud in it, which will cause feeding problems.

    In your particular situation, as long as the magazine you're leaving loaded is getting used (and hopefully also cleaned) regularly, you should be fine. If any of the more experienced members or those with Glocks can confirm or correct that, please do.

    KG
    Looks like kg333 covered it well; that's how I understand the issue, anyway.

    I have some original Glock 17 magazines that are 18-20 years old and still perking right along. I wouldn't choose them over the most current versions for defensive uses, as I think some useful enhancements have been made over the years, but they seem to still be working as well as they ever did.
    "Placement is power" -- seen in an article by Stephen A. Camp
    (RIP, Mr. Camp; you will be remembered, and missed)

  4. #4
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    I briefly heard in passing that its not good to keep one particular magazine loaded 24/7 or the spring will wear out and may cause problems with feeding. Is there any truth to that, or I guess I should say have any of you ever had that problem?
    I've never had that problem.

  5. #5
    wheelgunnerfla is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    51
    You should at least take the rounds out once in a while to give the spring a break.

  6. #6
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunnerfla View Post
    You should at least take the rounds out once in a while to give the spring a break.
    I was going to ask if you read any of the above comments, but considering you posted 51 times since yesterday, I find that unlikely.

    KG

  7. #7
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    I have mags here that have been left loaded for months. Maybe longer. They are boxed so dirt isn't an issue and they all work well. I've done that for years and it's never been an issue. It's like kg said. The action a spring goes through (compressing and decompressing) wears a spring much faster than leaving one sit compressed.

    If leaving them loaded was a problem then I'd have a lot of mags needing springs.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

24/7 extended mag

Click on a term to search for related topics.