Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203

    Holster for new Glock 26

    Hey guys, I finally took the long awaited plunged and picked up a new Glock 26 at the local gun show yesterday.

    I need to buy a few more magazines, finger extensions and spacers for some G19 mags.

    I also need a holster which I believe might be the toughest decision. I would prefer to go IWB but I have what I think is a dilemma. With the job I do, I'm in and out of my car up to 30-60 times a day depending on the work load. Because of that, I'm a little worried about comfort if I decided to go with IWB at around the 3-5 o'clock range.

    I've had my CCW for almost 3 years and have never carried on my person. That's a shame huh? I have a USPc 9mm and always felt it was a bit to big for the Florida weather that dominates this state for the better part of 8-9 months.

    I know there are guys on the board that carry the G26. Any of you guys have any suggestions?

    Mr. Barham, since you work for Galco and own a G26(I believe), do you have any recommendations for me?

    I'm 6'1 and 160lbs if that helps.

    All advice will be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Hmm, 30 views and nothing?

    Did I post this in the wrong section?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkwood MO
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    Hmm, 30 views and nothing?

    Did I post this in the wrong section?
    I'm here dude.

    I figured I would abstain from this thread because:

    -I never owned a Glock subcompact
    -I really REALLY dislike carrying IWB
    -unless it's mid summer, weather in MO allows me to carry a compact via OWB behind an untucked shirt with relative ease. I imagine this is not so much an option in Florida

    That being said.... if I lived in hot climates, I'd stuff a subcompact in an IWB MTAC. I do utilize the MTAC from time to time although I would much rather have a loose, untucked shirt covering OWB. It just depends on how hot it gets.

    As far as comfort, I don't think your build is going to have any comfort issues. There is always the holster hazing, but that happens with all holsters. Assuming your pants aren't wrenching-tight, you should be accoustomed to an IWB in a week or so. I don't think getting in and out of a car will be much of a bother if it's at the 3:30-5:00 oclock positon.

  4. #4
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Call Galco, 1(800) USGALCO (874-2526), ask to speak to Bill King (he's member Old Padawan here). Tell him you're from Handgun Forum. He'll be able to recommend some products for you.

  5. #5
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Call Galco, 1(800) USGALCO (874-2526), ask to speak to Bill King (he's member Old Padawan here). Tell him you're from Handgun Forum. He'll be able to recommend some products for you.
    +1

  6. #6
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by literaltrance View Post
    I'm here dude.

    I figured I would abstain from this thread because:

    -I never owned a Glock subcompact
    -I really REALLY dislike carrying IWB
    -unless it's mid summer, weather in MO allows me to carry a compact via OWB behind an untucked shirt with relative ease. I imagine this is not so much an option in Florida

    That being said.... if I lived in hot climates, I'd stuff a subcompact in an IWB MTAC. I do utilize the MTAC from time to time although I would much rather have a loose, untucked shirt covering OWB. It just depends on how hot it gets.

    As far as comfort, I don't think your build is going to have any comfort issues. There is always the holster hazing, but that happens with all holsters. Assuming your pants aren't wrenching-tight, you should be accoustomed to an IWB in a week or so. I don't think getting in and out of a car will be much of a bother if it's at the 3:30-5:00 oclock positon.
    I'd ideally prefer a OWB at 3-4 o'clock with a loose fitting t-shirt, polo or button-down given my build and if it sat close enough to my side. However, this weather will probably prohibit me from doing so.

  7. #7
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    I'd ideally prefer a OWB at 3-4 o'clock with a loose fitting t-shirt, polo or button-down given my build and if it sat close enough to me side. However, this weather will probably prohibit me from doing so.
    Call Bill at Galco!! A free 10 minute call and I bet he gives you multiple holster and belt combos. Helping people find the right product for their climate, build, etc., is what they do for a living.

  8. #8
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Call Bill at Galco!! A free 10 minute call and I bet he gives you multiple holster and belt combos. Helping people find the right product for their climate, build, etc., is what they do for a living.
    OK!!!

  9. #9
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    OK!!!
    Good!

    And remember that no matter what make or model holster you go with, a good belt helps tremendously!

  10. #10
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Good!

    And remember that no matter what make or model holster you go with, a good belt helps tremendously!
    That seemed like a good idea, but you just cemented it.

  11. #11
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    And remember that no matter what make or model holster you go with, a good belt helps tremendously!
    Absolutely. This is very important.

    I prefer the Galco SB2.

    Bill is a huge help. I don't just call when I need to place an order. He's the man to ask if you have a question regarding leather/holsters/belts/etc. The customer service is excellent.

  12. #12
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    If I were in your position, there's no way I would carry on the waist. I would get one of the polymer shoulder holsters from K.L. Null (he has a website), and not worry about that bulk digging into my abdomen when sitting down. You can also draw the weapon even while belted in your car, which is something that will be difficult to do with a belt holster....

  13. #13
    truman565 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    121
    Hey Method well I am going to go a little different direction from some of the other guys. I have a Glock 26 that I have been carrying for about a month now. I mention the time to point out the fact that I have not had the gun very long and therefore have not tried a ton of carrying combos but I have tried a couple and here is my opinion.

    I recently got a Galco SB1 belt and a U.S.A. II holster. I have only had the thing for about a week or so but so far I am not very impressed by it. I bought it to be able to carry with a shirt tucked in if need be and I guess it does accomplish that goal but it isn't very comfortable. I tried carrying it with an undershirt tucked in between me and the holster and that did help reduce the holster and gun rubbing on me a bit. I also tried riding in the car with it and it was pretty uncomfortable bordering on painful. By the way I was carrying at about the 3 to 4 o clock position right behind my right hip. This is in no way meant to be a personal jab at Galco or any of its employees that post here. I am just sharing my personal experience.

    I am sad to say that I prefer my $15 Uncle Mikes holster to my brand new $65 Galco holster. I carry with the UM holster in the same position and it conceals better (minus the ability to tuck a shirt in), it doesn't rub me raw because the holster covers both front and back sides of the gun, and it is so comfortable while riding in the car that I forget I have it on even when driving for hours at a time.

    Maybe the Galco holster will be better once it is broken in. Not sure because this is the first leather holster I have owned.

    I would recommend checking out some of the other holster from Galco perhaps but also check out Uncle Mikes and Desantis. Desantis makes two holsters that have caught my attention but I have not tried yet. The Tuck This II and the Pro Stealth.

    I would definitely recommend getting a good belt. I floppy regular belt is going to concentrate the load of the gun at one point on the belt where as a good carry belt will distribute that load around the entire length of the belt and make the load feel lighter. My Galco belt seems pretty good. Supports well and the leather is nice. Only complaint is on build quality. Some small loose pieces of leather were hanging off from the edges of the belt holes and some other areas. Not a big deal and doesn't effect the performance of the belt. Just expected more from a $80 belt.

  14. #14
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    truman565:

    Keep in mind that their USA holster is intended for appendix carry, which is not the way you were using it. Also, what is the SB1 belt? I don't see it on their website, so I'm curious. My SB2 is an excellent belt, built well, and it does its' purpose every day. I'm rather surprised by your comments, because my Galco belt doesn't seem to lack the "build quality" as you say yours does.

    ETA: I found the SB1. I was only looking under 1.5" belts which is what my SB2 is. This is also what Bill at Galco recommended for superior support and comfort.
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 03-25-2009 at 01:56 AM.

  15. #15
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by truman565 View Post
    I am sad to say that I prefer my $15 Uncle Mikes holster to my brand new $65 Galco holster. I carry with the UM holster in the same position and it conceals better (minus the ability to tuck a shirt in), it doesn't rub me raw because the holster covers both front and back sides of the gun, and it is so comfortable while riding in the car that I forget I have it on even when driving for hours at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by truman565 View Post
    I would recommend checking out some of the other holster from Galco perhaps but also check out Uncle Mikes and Desantis. Desantis makes two holsters that have caught my attention but I have not tried yet. The Tuck This II and the Pro Stealth.
    There's a reason why the Galco (and other brands) don't cover the entire gun. The gun rides higher and more of the grip is available so you aren't going fishing for it as you would with a "one-size fits all" generic holster. No way I'd ever recommend a holster that is not specifically designed for the gun when that person is going to carry it other than at the range; unless I want that person to be the next guy on the news about someone dropping their gun at the local Wal Mart bathroom.

  16. #16
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    For any of you guys with experience with the G26:

    I plan on getting the extended slide and mag release. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the extended mag release came out far enough to be triggered by a holster.

    Any of you guys have experience with that?

    I found both sold together on ebay for $22.50. The seller says they are factory Glock parts. Sounds like a decent deal compared to the prices I've seen for them individually.

    What say you guys?

  17. #17
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by truman565 View Post
    Hey Method well I am going to go a little different direction from some of the other guys. I have a Glock 26 that I have been carrying for about a month now. I mention the time to point out the fact that I have not had the gun very long and therefore have not tried a ton of carrying combos but I have tried a couple and here is my opinion.

    I recently got a Galco SB1 belt and a U.S.A. II holster. I have only had the thing for about a week or so but so far I am not very impressed by it. I bought it to be able to carry with a shirt tucked in if need be and I guess it does accomplish that goal but it isn't very comfortable. I tried carrying it with an undershirt tucked in between me and the holster and that did help reduce the holster and gun rubbing on me a bit. I also tried riding in the car with it and it was pretty uncomfortable bordering on painful. By the way I was carrying at about the 3 to 4 o clock position right behind my right hip. This is in no way meant to be a personal jab at Galco or any of its employees that post here. I am just sharing my personal experience.

    I am sad to say that I prefer my $15 Uncle Mikes holster to my brand new $65 Galco holster. I carry with the UM holster in the same position and it conceals better (minus the ability to tuck a shirt in), it doesn't rub me raw because the holster covers both front and back sides of the gun, and it is so comfortable while riding in the car that I forget I have it on even when driving for hours at a time.

    Maybe the Galco holster will be better once it is broken in. Not sure because this is the first leather holster I have owned.

    I would recommend checking out some of the other holster from Galco perhaps but also check out Uncle Mikes and Desantis. Desantis makes two holsters that have caught my attention but I have not tried yet. The Tuck This II and the Pro Stealth.

    I would definitely recommend getting a good belt. I floppy regular belt is going to concentrate the load of the gun at one point on the belt where as a good carry belt will distribute that load around the entire length of the belt and make the load feel lighter. My Galco belt seems pretty good. Supports well and the leather is nice. Only complaint is on build quality. Some small loose pieces of leather were hanging off from the edges of the belt holes and some other areas. Not a big deal and doesn't effect the performance of the belt. Just expected more from a $80 belt.
    Thanks for the detailed input.

  18. #18
    truman565 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    121
    Beefybeffo:
    Yeah I went with the SB1 because the Galco U.S.A. holster can only accomodate a 1 1/4'' belt. I have not tried carrying it in the front as which is what I am assuming you mean when you say appendix carry. I see on their website that the demonstration shows it being carried on the front but I didn't know it was specifically designed to be carried like that. Would have been nice if that was listed. O well. The quality of the belt surprised me a bit too. I have a paddle holster from them for my Sig P226 and it is a darn nice holster. Great leather and good build quality.

    Todd:
    I would recommend you give the Uncle Mikes holster a try. If you have but you still don't like it then fine. Maybe my Galco holster will loosen up a bit as it breaks in but I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that I could draw faster with my Uncle Mikes than with my Galco. My Uncle Mikes holster is more comfortable and secures the pistol just fine. It never shifts on me or tries to fall out while I am in the bathroom. I might be willing to try another type of Galco holster but I would not recommend the Galco U.S.A. holster for the Glock 26. But thats just me. If anyone disagrees and wants to see for themselves then feel free to purchase my holster from me as I might be posting it in the For Sale forum if I don't warm up to it.

  19. #19
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by truman565 View Post
    Todd:
    I would recommend you give the Uncle Mikes holster a try. If you have but you still don't like it then fine. Maybe my Galco holster will loosen up a bit as it breaks in but I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that I could draw faster with my Uncle Mikes than with my Galco. My Uncle Mikes holster is more comfortable and secures the pistol just fine. It never shifts on me or tries to fall out while I am in the bathroom. I might be willing to try another type of Galco holster but I would not recommend the Galco U.S.A. holster for the Glock 26. But thats just me. If anyone disagrees and wants to see for themselves then feel free to purchase my holster from me as I might be posting it in the For Sale forum if I don't warm up to it.
    I had an Uncle Mike's a lot time ago. I don't need to give it another try since I didn't like it the first time and I don't think they have done anything new and radical with their designs to warrant me giving their products another chance. It may work for you, but you will never hear a recommendation as a carry holster for one come from me. I have considered buying another one to sew Velcro on to modify as my "car holster" for long trips though.

    All leather holsters require some break in. My Galco gave specific instructions on how to break it in and the UGB I had before it also need some break in. For most part, the old wax paper around the gun overnight trick works well unless your manufacturer tells you otherwise.

  20. #20
    Method's Avatar
    Method is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by truman565 View Post
    Beefybeffo:
    Todd:
    I would recommend you give the Uncle Mikes holster a try.
    Which particular model?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best glock 26 owb holster

,
best holster for glock 26
,
best iwb holster for glock 26
,
best owb concealment holster glock 26
,

best owb holster for glock 26

,
car holster for glock 26
,
glock 26 car holster
,
glock 26 owb holster
,
glock 26 owb holster review
,
king tuck glock 26
,

mitch rosen upper limit holster review

,
mitch rosen upper limit review
Click on a term to search for related topics.