Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    I'mStrapped is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22

    Slide release question

    Is it normal for a glock slide to be released by slapping the magazine in ?

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    It happens from time to time. I have several Glocks, and several magazines that will close an open slide when inserted with the usual slap on the bottom. Nothing to be alarmed about. It's actually a gift in disguise. My former G21 did this with four out of the six magazines total that I had for it.

  4. #3
    DKnut's Avatar
    DKnut is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    My first posting. Greeting from a Danish "guy".

    Hmmmh as an army firearms instructor, pushing 27 years I don't agree. It is not a "French Benefit" that the slide moves forward, when inserting a new loaded magazine.

    It is not supposed to happen. When it happens it is always because the gun (slide release, magazine etc.) is worn or because poor cleaning, maintenance (sorry my English is not 100 % perfect).

    In worse case (I've only seen it once. Actually in Iraq) the slide will move forward but not insert a bullet in the chamber.

    If I was the owner of a pistol (Glock or any other) that automatically realizes the slide, when a magazine is inserted I would:

    1. Clean the gun (in most cases it won't do the trick).
    2. Get a new slide release.
    3. Get new magazines and only use the ones affected on the range.

    If your Glock is not for protection, duty etc. I wouldn’t worry but if your life is depended on the gun working, as it is supposed to (and is not supposed to release the slide, without you touching the slide releaser or pulling back the slide and releasing it) I would definitely not accept the “fault”.

  5. #4
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,495
    I've seen this discussed many times. Glocks do this. It is a combination of things, but it is not a malfunction.

    Slapping the mag in hard is the usual situation that the slide will release.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  6. #5
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by DKnut View Post
    My first posting. Greeting from a Danish "guy".

    Hmmmh as an army firearms instructor, pushing 27 years I don't agree. It is not a "French Benefit" that the slide moves forward, when inserting a new loaded magazine.

    It is not supposed to happen. When it happens it is always because the gun (slide release, magazine etc.) is worn or because poor cleaning, maintenance (sorry my English is not 100 % perfect).

    In worse case (I've only seen it once. Actually in Iraq) the slide will move forward but not insert a bullet in the chamber.

    If I was the owner of a pistol (Glock or any other) that automatically realizes the slide, when a magazine is inserted I would:

    1. Clean the gun (in most cases it won't do the trick).
    2. Get a new slide release.
    3. Get new magazines and only use the ones affected on the range.

    If your Glock is not for protection, duty etc. I wouldn’t worry but if your life is depended on the gun working, as it is supposed to (and is not supposed to release the slide, without you touching the slide releaser or pulling back the slide and releasing it) I would definitely not accept the “fault”.
    Your English is GREAT and I agree totally.

    I have the G23 and I have NEVER had the slide go forward slapping in a magazine. (1000+ rds)

    Nothing worse in a situation than pulling the trigger and no BANG.

  7. #6
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    It doesn't sound normal to me for this to happen however, just how hard of a slap are you talking about? I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen when the magazine is inserted with excessive and unnecessary force.

  8. #7
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by unpecador View Post
    It doesn't sound normal to me for this to happen however, just how hard of a slap are you talking about? I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen when the magazine is inserted with excessive and unnecessary force.
    Just the normal slap you should do with any pistol/magazine to be sure it's positively engaged. I'm as open minded as anyone, but I will say the slide closing on the Glocks and chambering a round is still a gift in disguise. Sort of like a slam fire capability shotgun like the 1970's Ithacas among others. Again...know your weapon, become one with your tools, be safe, and know how they operate...and feel confident in it. I realize we have a few generations of shooters on this forum, and then again those totally new to the firearms ordeal. No problem, but I'll maintain my opinions on this deal. Truthfully I can say, this is not a malfunction. Anyone else can look at it any way they'd like to. And with my Glocks, I always use the same modus operadi and some mags do it and some don't.

  9. #8
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    I'm not one that likes any of my guns doing anything that they were not designed to do. It might look cool, it might actually be a pretty cool feature. But if it was something that great I'm sure the gun maker would have done it to the gun themselves and said "Look at what our cool gun does!"

  10. #9
    I'mStrapped is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22
    As Ram Rod said just the normal slap. I normaly don't slap my glock mags in because they slide in and seat so easily, but read that this happens so I thought I would see if mine did. I was surprised to see how easily it did happen. I really don't see it as being a problem. I was,however, currious as to how many this people this happens to.

  11. #10
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    Well, I can see both sides of the issue actually. But none of my Glocks past and present do this with each magazine. At one time, I had actually contemplated marking the ones that did just to see if they did 100% of the time. But I think it is more of a magazine issue, and I never use anything but factory Glock magazines. I've actually run this deal by another one of my forums, and the same questions pop up as far as possibly not chambering a round when this occurs, but mine always have so-far. When my Glock trigger goes forward, I'm ready for another shot (at the range), and I'll pull the trigger.....if it so happens it's on an empty chamber, I'll simply do the tap-rack-bang drill and keep on shooting. In the defensive scenario, it may be very unlikely that you'd need to do a magazine change unless you have a magazine failure. One good reason to carry a spare magazine.

  12. #11
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    I view this more as a nuisance really, it would annoy me if the slide on my gun moved when I didn't intend it to and I still feel it shouldn't happen as easily as mentioned.

  13. #12
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Then you have a question problem - this time the slide released did it load a round or do I have to tap - rack - bang?

    Me I like consistency - that the weapon functions as designed. If it were me I would send back the magazines that were causing the problem or get rid of them and replace them all together.

    We were doing scenarios at an advanced CCW class where we did not tap the magazines in place - it is a bad feeling to pull on that trigger and not get a response - especially if the bad guy is pointing a gun at YOU.

  14. #13
    DKnut's Avatar
    DKnut is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce333 View Post
    I've seen this discussed many times. Glocks do this. It is a combination of things, but it is not a malfunction.

    Slapping the mag in hard is the usual situation that the slide will release.
    Actually an interesting discussion. However I lack to see the positive in any weapon doing something it definitely NOT was designed to do.
    In “my” army we have Glock 26, 19 and Glock 20 (still the SIG 210 is the primary pistol but probably not for long). The Glock 20 being back-up for Sirius patrol in Greenland, if Ice bears try to enter a tent and rifle is not handy etc. Sirius patrol are Danish military personal doing 2 year duty on dogsled and station in Greenland to protect sovereignty. (this was French Benefit information...sorry got carried away).
    On top of this I’ve seen hundreds of Glock 19 being issued out to Iraqi police, judged etc. And only after “we” have trained then on the gun. I’ve VERY rarely heard about the “problem” happening. Actually only once.
    When/if it happens the weapon will immediately be taken out of service until at professional gunsmith has examined what causes the malfunction. And no matter if one likes that the gun loads without having to push the slide release or releasing the slide by pulling it back it is a malfunction.
    So to answer the original question:
    Get new magazines and maybe also a new slide release. I know I would.

  15. #14
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DKnut View Post
    Sirius patrol are Danish military personal doing 2 year duty on dogsled and station in Greenland to protect sovereignty.
    I'm guessing those are the guys who drew the short straw at assignment time?

  16. #15
    Ptarmigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    723
    Todd, they are actually all volunteers. I just got done reading a book about these guys, and they are hardcore. The book was from the 80s, but I assume that not much has changed. The unit is made up of personnel from all parts of the Danish military, and I seem to remember that everyone is a NCO or officers. All personnel also are given police powers.

  17. #16
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptarmigan View Post
    Todd, they are actually all volunteers. I just got doen reading a book about these guys, and they are hardcore. The book was from the 80s, but I assume that not much has changed. The unit is made up of personnel from all parts of the Danish military, and I seem to remember that everyone is a NCO or officers. All personnel also are given police powers.
    Well, at least they know what they're signing up for then. Thanks for the extra info!

  18. #17
    Ptarmigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    723
    As to the original question, I have heard about this before but never seen it happen. Based on the large amount of Glocks I have fired, and seen being fired, I am convinced it is a flaw when it does happen. I would have to agree with DKnut and say that any pistol that does not work as it is meant to, should be taken out of service and fixed.

  19. #18
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    If it happens randomly and isn't documented in the manual, it's a malfunction. Whether or not that's a big deal or not is a matter of opinion I'd say.

    It happens on my Walther P99 from time to time as well.

  20. #19
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    It's not a malfunction. They covered that in the Glock Armorer course. It is actually suppossed to happen, and both my G21SF and G26 do it. Now if you are just putting it in gentlely and not slapping it in, yes, there could be an issue with a spring inside, which will cost you all of about $5 to fix. I have never had it happen when I put a magazine in gentlely. But a slightly harder shove will do it. It's great in IDPA matches.

    As an aside, my Bersa Thunder 380 also does that. My Sig will even do it with a significant slap. I wouldn't worry about it. Like I said, if you are placing the magazine in (which hardly anyone does) and it does this, have it looked at by a Glock armorer.

  21. #20
    Ptarmigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    723
    What? I am not doubting you but I have never heard that this was some sort of feature on Glocks. That really sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Are you sure the instructor didn't just say that because he knows it is a flaw in some of their pistols?

    Like I said, I am not saying you are wrong, but whoever told you that might be. Was this a factory employed instructor?

  22. #21
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Yes, it was a long time Glock employee. He was the Glock sales district manager and in charge of the Glock Armorer course we took to get certified as Glock Armorers. I've also tested it on the range with every Glock rental we have. They all did it. Both of mine do it. And I've never met a Glock at a competition, in a customer's hands, or on the range that didn't.

  23. #22
    Ptarmigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    723
    Really? I learned something new today. Maybe I am just a big wuss and never smacked the magazine hard enough.

    I have shot 10,000 rounds plus with Glocks, and probably seen over a hundred Glocks being shot in law enforcement firearms training and never once did I see this happen.

    Interesting info and thanks for posting it.

  24. #23
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    It's all a matter of inertia. When velocity is increased (hard smack) to the point that energy imparted by the mag follower or other activating element equals the force required to release with your thumb the slide will move forward.

    Wusses need strong thumbs.

  25. #24
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Bingo. TOF's got it. My Glocks and my Sig only do this when I want them to, like during IDPA matches when I want to save a second or two or when I am running to cover. My Bersa, unfortunetly, does it whenever it wants to. I see it all the time at matches, and Glock does claim to have done this on purpose. Try it some time.

  26. #25
    Ptarmigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    723
    I will try it. I have always trained to pull back on the slide, and never use the slide release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

glock 27 slide moves forward
,
glock mags don't slide in and out easily
,
glock should slide release move when mag inserted
,

glock slid closes when mag inserted

,

glock slide releases when magazine inserted

,
glock slude releases when magazine is inserted
,
magizine in glock17 does not slide out easily
,
slide of glock 22 releases when mag inserted
,
the slide release is hard to use on my glock 27
,
what guns are designed to release the slide when a magazine is inserted
,
when i slap my mag my glock slide goes forward
,
will slide release work with empty mag glock
Click on a term to search for related topics.