Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Glock 34

  1. #1
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27

    Glock 34

    I am looking at getting a handgun both for sports shooting and for home defense and after extensive reading and several trips to our local gun range, I have narrowed down my choices to the ff.:

    (a) Glock 34

    I like the longer barrel and it makes it easier to point and aim and the grip felt solid in my hands.

    I also read that Glocks have been around as long as any handgun around and boasts of reliability and ability to take a lot of abuse.

    (b) Beretta 92FS

    Shoots well and I like the general way it feels when you handle it.

    What I fail to understand is how come no one around seems to have one?

    I'd really appreciate any owner feedback on the glock 34.

    Thanks!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Those are both great choices, but the winner for me would be the Glock 34 by far. First, I don't like external safeties for defensive weapons, but that's a personal preference. Second, I prefer a constant trigger pull, rather than DA/SA. The trigger is better on the Glock. The G34 would be hard to beat for a HD & competition weapon.

    Accessories are readily available for both of those weapons.

    Having said that, there are many other great choices as well. But, I gather from your post that you've at least held and possibly shot these firearms (?), so if they both feel good to you it's ultimately up to you. Have you held/shot any other options? XD, M&P, CZ, Sig, etc?

    -Jeff-

  4. #3
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for the reply..

    I've tried out and shot the ff.:

    (a) .45cal Kimber 1911 Custom II LE
    (b) .45cal S&W 1911
    (c) .45cal HAER 1911
    (d) .40 Springfield Armory XD
    (e) 9mm Beretta 92FS and M91A
    (f) 9mm Browning HiPower
    (g) 9mm Glock34

    I really wanted to get a 1911 but after considering the costs involved I decided to go with 9mm so I can spend more time on the range honing my shooting skills while spending less on ammunition.

    I also looked at the Taurus, Ruger and M&P but they felt awkward to my grip so I didn't bother trying them out anymore.The SIG is another story -- I like it but way over what I would want to invest at this time!

    And too bad for me that CA doesn't allow for the sale of the XdM yet...

    My criterion for selecting "the handgun" are (1) Feel and User-friendly-ness, (2) Dependability/Durability, (3) Ease of Maintenance, (4) Availability of parts, (5) Type and Cost of Ammuniton and (6) Price....

  5. #4
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,186
    Hello,

    I have a Glock 34, along with several other Glocks. I find the G34 a very good match for what you want/need in a handgun. Mine is reliable as the sunrise, as accurate as I can hold/shoot (3" or less, 5-shot groups at 25 yards when I'm up to it), and a lot of fun for sport/competition shooting.




  6. #5
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,380
    I have never been a Glock fan, but a fellow I met at the range let me fire a couple mags through his Glock 34. I was deeply impressed with its accuracy and general function. I have fired the Beretta, and it is just 'OK.'

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    469
    The Glock tactical/practical is my very first semi-auto handgun: G35


    I can turn it into a 9mm G34: but I like the .40S&W better


    I chose the G35, because out of all the other guns I tried this one fit my hand and made a hole everywhere I point to.

    Go get one!

  8. #7
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockamaniaŽ View Post
    The Glock tactical/practical is my very first semi-auto handgun: G35

    I can turn it into a 9mm G34: but I like the .40S&W better


    Go get one!
    Now you gave me another point to consider...I've seen the bar-sto converison kits but never put too much stock in it...

    Is there any changes in the glock 35's shooting characteristics when you switched to a 9mm barrel? I would assume that the 9mm barrel weighs a bit more than the stock barrel..

  9. #8
    Slowfire is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    81
    Between the two (I own both) I actually prefer the Glock 34. I still have the idea of the locking block in the back of my mind with regards to the Beretta. But I still like owning it.

  10. #9
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    3 gunstores in my area --- and none of which can get me one!!!

    i'm now searching online and looks like I'll have to wait till early 09 before I can get my hands on my glock 34..

    One store is suggesting I just get the glock 35 and cough up an extra $250++ so I can get an aftermarket 9mm barrel and some magazines, and that I just switch the barrel out myself...

    sigh....

  11. #10
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    I had a Beretta 92FS for a couple of months.....it got traded rather quickly. Go with the G34 out of the two IMO. But why not the G17? Is this going to be a carry or range pistol?

  12. #11
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I had a Beretta 92FS for a couple of months.....it got traded rather quickly. Go with the G34 out of the two IMO. But why not the G17? Is this going to be a carry or range pistol?
    I want a tactical handgun for my first one as I find the longer barrels easier to point, aim and shoot...

    I just might get the G17 if the G34 is really unavailale in my area..

  13. #12
    BunnMan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13
    I own a G34 and love it! Echo everything else aboutt the accuracy, reliability, availability of accessories. Mine isn't real dolled up, just sports a Hogue Handall to fatten the grip a touch and make it more sticky. A buddy of mine put a Doctor red dot sight (formerly Ziess) that replaces the rear sight on his G34 and turned it into a real tack driver. Once he slips on his removalble telescopic butt stock he punches 1lb. propane cans every shot at 50yds. Can't say enoguh good about this gal. She never complains, cheap to feed, easy to clean.

    Oh, and there's one in stock at my local shop...you live in MD?

    Merry Christmas,

    -BunnMan

  14. #13
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
    Hello,

    I have a Glock 34, along with several other Glocks. I find the G34 a very good match for what you want/need in a handgun. Mine is reliable as the sunrise, as accurate as I can hold/shoot (3" or less, 5-shot groups at 25 yards when I'm up to it), and a lot of fun for sport/competition shooting.



    I think there's a 20-Mag limit in most states... LOL

  15. #14
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,736
    See, I'd rather have the Beretta. I can't stand Glock triggers. I have owned a Glock 17, 19, 26 and 34. I have no Glocks now. I sold the G34 in 06 (I forget).

    I hated the trigger compared to my P99. The G34 was my fav of all the Glocks, but I did not like it enough to keep it.

    I have owned 3 different Beretta 92s over the years. I have none now, but will probably be buying another this weekend.

  16. #15
    buck32's Avatar
    buck32 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    See, I'd rather have the Beretta. I can't stand Glock triggers. I have owned a Glock 17, 19, 26 and 34. I have no Glocks now. I sold the G34 in 06 (I forget).

    I hated the trigger compared to my P99. The G34 was my fav of all the Glocks, but I did not like it enough to keep it.

    I have owned 3 different Beretta 92s over the years. I have none now, but will probably be buying another this weekend.
    A little black evil pistol or an INOX?

  17. #16
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnMan View Post
    ..

    Oh, and there's one in stock at my local shop...you live in MD?

    Merry Christmas,

    -BunnMan
    I live in the most prohibitive state of all with a 10-round magazine restriction -- CA (NorCal to be exact)...

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter686 View Post
    Now you gave me another point to consider...I've seen the bar-sto converison kits but never put too much stock in it...

    Is there any changes in the glock 35's shooting characteristics when you switched to a 9mm barrel? I would assume that the 9mm barrel weighs a bit more than the stock barrel..
    Weight isn't really noticeable, but you'll always have to consider whenever modifying a gun that it will work 99.9999999%. Just stick to the gun that feels and shoots right.

  19. #18
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockamaniaŽ View Post
    Weight isn't really noticeable, but you'll always have to consider whenever modifying a gun that it will work 99.9999999%. Just stick to the gun that feels and shoots right.
    thanks for the input...my gunstore has the 35 and they have been trying to persuade me to get it instead since no one can tell when the 34 will be a stock item again..

    i already made a downpayment and was told that i have to wait until around the 1st week of 09 when the distributors resume work after the hoidays..

    sigh! the waiting is intolerable!!!!

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    469
    It'll be worth the wait.

    I waited four months for my G35. I think Glock is just low on 9mm models.

  21. #20
    BunnMan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13
    We got a 10 round restriction as well... the MSSR (Maryland Soviet Socialist Republic) aint the easiest state to be a gun owner in either

    ...But, we do hvae a G34 in stock right down the street . I'll be looking at it Saturday when I pick up my new 629. You folks have an eight day wait on handguns and "restricted" firearms?


    Merry Christmas,

    -BunnMan

  22. #21
    buck32's Avatar
    buck32 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnMan View Post
    We got a 10 round restriction as well... the MSSR (Maryland Soviet Socialist Republic) aint the easiest state to be a gun owner in either

    ...But, we do hvae a G34 in stock right down the street . I'll be looking at it Saturday when I pick up my new 629. You folks have an eight day wait on handguns and "restricted" firearms?


    Merry Christmas,

    -BunnMan
    Nope, CWP permit allows me to go in pick the gun, pay for it and walk out with it.

  23. #22
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnMan View Post
    ...But, we do hvae a G34 in stock right down the street . I'll be looking at it Saturday when I pick up my new 629. You folks have an eight day wait on handguns and "restricted" firearms?


    Merry Christmas,

    -BunnMan
    Lucky You! We have 10-days mandatory wait....

    Happy Holidays as well!

  24. #23
    BunnMan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter686 View Post
    Lucky You! We have 10-days mandatory wait....

    Happy Holidays as well!
    Where ya from shooter?

  25. #24
    shooter686's Avatar
    shooter686 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnMan View Post
    Where ya from shooter?

    The East Bay- San Francisco, CA

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    469
    Yup. CA has the 10 day waiting period and limited to 10 round magazines...it's worst or same as NY, MA and MD.

    Keep up fighting for your rights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

g35 gun
,

glock 34

,
glock 34 9mm
,
glock 34 accuracy
,
glock 34 forum
,
glock 34 forums
,
glock 34 price
,
glock 34 red dot
,
glock 34 tactical
,
glock g34
,
glock tactical
,
tactical practical glock
Click on a term to search for related topics.