Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    Glocks are rated for the same ammunition as anyone else's models are. The frequency of this is so rare it's not worth getting concerned about. It's the most widely used handgun today in worldwide law enforcement. Take all of the ammunition sent downrange by Glocks in a year. Divide that number into the amount of blow ups that occur, and you are far more likely to be hurt or killed driving to work, or the local market. You "don't hear about" other makers problems simply because they don't have a 1/10th of the amount of firearms out there Glock has. There are far more people killed and injured who drive GM vehicles than Ferrari's. Does this mean GM makes unsafe cars and trucks? Doubtful. All of this is much to do about nothing. Bill T.
    I'm not informed enough about the statistics to argue with you regarding Glocks outnumbering any other gun 10 to 1. But I'm not referring to just one or another manufacturer. I've not really heard much about Kaboom problems (enough instances for at least some informed about firearms to consider it a problem) regarding ANY other make, and I do doubt that Glocks outnumber all other guns combined by 10:1. It just doesn't sound like an industry-wide problem to me, it sounds like a Glock issue.

    I don't quite understand your analogy regarding GM vs. Ferraris. But if enough instances of a problem surfaced with a particular GM model (say failing brakes for example) for it to become fairly well known, that model would very likely be recalled to correct the issue. It would have nothing to do with comparing how many are on the road versus Ferraris, Bentley's or whatever.

    In any event, all I'm really saying is if a gun blew up in my face I would not be inclined to buy another one. If, as you say, you see this as much to do about nothing, then I suppose you would. I've heard of enough instances of Kabooms from others that I would not be inclined to buy one to begin with. You obviously feel differently and I respect that. It's all good.

  2. #22
    HadEmAll is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    ..... I do not yet know exactly if it was the gun or the cartrige, but Id be willing to bet that it was an overcharged cartrige....
    What was the ammo? Factory, reloads?

  3. #23
    brisk21's Avatar
    brisk21 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    the ammo was factory and brand new. I believe it was winchester white box.

  4. #24
    billt's Avatar
    billt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    116
    With all of the ammunition recalls lately, I think I'd trust reloads more! Bill T.

  5. #25
    bluehandgun's Avatar
    bluehandgun is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    73
    why is the 40 more popular than the 357? i would think the 357 is a better cartridge for LE?

  6. #26
    Zaakir*Abdullah's Avatar
    Zaakir*Abdullah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    I work for a department of corrections, and one of the new officers was in training for the GLOCK, and she was fireing a model 22 (.40 cal.) and it exploded. I do not yet know exactly if it was the gun or the cartrige, but Id be willing to bet that it was an overcharged cartrige. man, I just ordered a model 17, and I have plenty of faith in it, but I keep hearing about these .40 cal glocks exploding, so I would suggest staying away from these model of glocks.
    Theres a reason Larry Vickers only recommends Glock in 9mm. Not to mention the Glock 22 and 23s have been having feeding issues when a tac light is attached.

    Glock added a coil to the mag spring and a new follower. Things supposedly improved. Not sure if the fix is 100% though.

    Glocks were designed and built around the 9mm.

  7. #27
    Zaakir*Abdullah's Avatar
    Zaakir*Abdullah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Of course, one reason you hear about more Glock .40s exploding than anything else is that it is by far the single most popular law enforcement gun in America.
    I still believe its a disproportionate number compared to other makes. The Glock was built around the 9mm. Glock just bored out the barrel, changed the ejector and extractor, and viola...you have a Glock 22. Not to mention the unsupported chamber to facilitate better feeding.

    I only deal with Glocks in 9mm.

  8. #28
    Zaakir*Abdullah's Avatar
    Zaakir*Abdullah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    The officer is fine. a few minor burns. she actually came back and qualified with another glock later that day.
    off topic: How many times do u guys qualify per year?

  9. #29
    Zaakir*Abdullah's Avatar
    Zaakir*Abdullah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    yah, you may be right, but i'll bet it could be done without sacrificing reliability. I just suspect that glock won't admit thiers a problem.

    An arrogant company like Glock?, noooooooooo. Glock likes to fix things quietly.

    Get a 19 or a 17, cant go wrong with either of those.

  10. #30
    Zaakir*Abdullah's Avatar
    Zaakir*Abdullah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehandgun View Post
    why is the 40 more popular than the 357? i would think the 357 is a better cartridge for LE?
    Good question.

  11. #31
    billt's Avatar
    billt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehandgun View Post
    why is the 40 more popular than the 357? i would think the 357 is a better cartridge for LE?
    Ballistically better perhaps. What makes a law enforcement round popular is cost more than anything. Equipping a major urban police force is a costly venture. If "Caliber A" is offered to a large force in "Handgun B", at an attractive price, that will influence their decision far more than stopping power, or ballistic superiority. Glock has done well in this dept. because they have cut some unbelievable deals to law enforcement from a cost savings standpoint. Always remember the buck rules far more than officers, or "the peoples" safety. Remember those Pinto gas tanks? Burning alive in your car was a better risk for Ford to assume than paying the $7.50 per car to prevent it. Bill T.

  12. #32
    Fargold's Avatar
    Fargold is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1

    Glock 17 explosion

    mine just blew, 9mm reloads all under the max pressure. The base of the case blew out the side breaking of a piece of poly frame and cracking more. Most ofthe shraplnal went out the left side and into my hand. I have fired around 500rounds with this Gen 4 and this was the first problem, still hurt like hell thought ok. Local Dealer won't help because warrenty was void as soon as I used read ammo. I agree that the chamber should be desisned better to support the bass.

  13. #33
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargold View Post
    mine just blew, 9mm reloads all under the max pressure. The base of the case blew out the side breaking of a piece of poly frame and cracking more. Most ofthe shraplnal went out the left side and into my hand. I have fired around 500rounds with this Gen 4 and this was the first problem, still hurt like hell thought ok. Local Dealer won't help because warrenty was void as soon as I used read ammo. I agree that the chamber should be desisned better to support the bass.
    ouch, guess now we know why using reloads/handloads voids glocks warranty..... hope you heal up soon.....

  14. #34
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    I understand that, but it seems like that should never happen. I mean, I love glocks, and I actually just ordered one, (17), but you never really heard about this happening with any 9mm pistol. I know it is such a small percentage, compared to the millions of rounds that have been fired through the glock .40 cals, but it just seems like maybe that unsupported part of the case is really the issue. I know glock says that any factory standard ammo is fine, but I think that a gun should be able to hold up to an overcharged round just in case of an error in the manufacturing process, which clearly happens. I really think that glock should redesign their 40 cal barell chamers. it wouldnt be that hard, allbeit expensive. they could do it without changing anything but a barrell swap. like a recall, I know that would be alot of barells to replace, but it may be time for glock to admit theirs a problem and fix it.
    Last I checked (long ago) firearms HAD to be proofed(fired with excessively high pressure). If glocks are still exploding it would seem to be a design flaw(at least to me), and No I dont own a glock or any other tupperware firearm, just dont like the looks of ANY of them.

  15. #35
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Last I checked (long ago) firearms HAD to be proofed(fired with excessively high pressure).....
    while "proofing" is still required in many european countries, there are no laws in the u.s. requiring any proofing, nor have there been.

  16. #36
    chessail77's Avatar
    chessail77 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Mtns. in AZ
    Posts
    1,349
    If Glock redesigned the barrel and admitted a design flaw,and all the .40 cal they have out there, imagine how much the cost would be for that move....JJ

  17. #37
    FNISHR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Posts
    354
    I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the reloads are all under the specified pressure, or at least supposed to be, is it likely that reloading errors are to blame, or is it more likely caused by something else. I've got more than 3000 rounds on my G17 and really enjoy it, but I've never gotten around to trying a reload in it.

  18. #38
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by FNISHR View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the reloads are all under the specified pressure, or at least supposed to be, is it likely that reloading errors are to blame, or is it more likely caused by something else. I've got more than 3000 rounds on my G17 and really enjoy it, but I've never gotten around to trying a reload in it.
    i have been doing some reading on this and have found a few things that i did not know, since i am not a reloader....

    the case expands and stretches during firing (i did know this) and when it elongates the case wall thins out (i would have known this, it stands to reason the brass must come from somewhere).

    also the case rim is weakened by the extraction process (even NEW FACTORY ammo is only designed to be cycled 2 TIMES)

    so you have a weakened rim and a thinner walled case and now you are loading everything to the max.... and the case is NOT supported correctly due to the design of the barrel.

    now we might have one more factor.... the bullet is set in the brass at a certain depth, just loading it into the camber via the slide can set it back into the brass even deeper, creating even greater pressures , and a weakened case.....

    in a design where the case is fully supported, you get a split case... in a glock, you get a catastrophic failure.

    its no secret that i am not a glockophile, and havent been since the days i was UNinstalling the new york triggers in my own shop. but this condition has been cataloged and photographed and blogged and reported on for almost 2 decades.... glocks blow up , ALOT

  19. #39
    denner's Avatar
    denner is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaakir*Abdullah View Post
    Good question.
    Well, 357sig vs. 40cal for LE. In LE, you must consider penetration through intermediate barriers such as auto windshields, auto bodies, drywall, doors, and such. The 180 grain 40's seem to do relatively well in this particular area.

  20. #40
    FNISHR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    i have been doing some reading on this and have found a few things that i did not know, since i am not a reloader....

    the case expands and stretches during firing (i did know this) and when it elongates the case wall thins out (i would have known this, it stands to reason the brass must come from somewhere).

    also the case rim is weakened by the extraction process (even NEW FACTORY ammo is only designed to be cycled 2 TIMES)

    so you have a weakened rim and a thinner walled case and now you are loading everything to the max.... and the case is NOT supported correctly due to the design of the barrel.

    now we might have one more factor.... the bullet is set in the brass at a certain depth, just loading it into the camber via the slide can set it back into the brass even deeper, creating even greater pressures , and a weakened case.....

    in a design where the case is fully supported, you get a split case... in a glock, you get a catastrophic failure.

    its no secret that i am not a glockophile, and havent been since the days i was UNinstalling the new york triggers in my own shop. but this condition has been cataloged and photographed and blogged and reported on for almost 2 decades.... glocks blow up , ALOT
    Thanks, Ted. That helps a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

exploded glock
,
exploding glock
,
exploding glocks
,
glock exploded
,
glock exploded in hand
,
glock explodes
,
glock exploding in hand
,

glock explosion

,
glock gen 4 exploding
,
glock pistol explosions
,
glock the exploding pistol
,
my glock blew up
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1