Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fun Gun???

  1. #1
    Zeek_in_NMI's Avatar
    Zeek_in_NMI is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    38

    Fun Gun???

    You guys may not want to even talk about this topic but here goes. I'm thinking about getting a CO2 BB pistol. I'm just thinking about shooting paper for training and just having fun. Do any of you guy's use one of these and if so have any recommendations?

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,907
    You might have fun, and that's certainly a good thing, but it won't be any kind of "training."

    Nothing that you can learn by shooting any kind of BB gun will translate to any sort of pistol-shooting skill.
    That even applies to sight picture and trigger press.

    Keep the two separate.
    Fun is...well...fun.
    But shooting a pistol well requires thoughtful practice and concentration, and a real gun.

  4. #3
    jtguns's Avatar
    jtguns is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The great northwest
    Posts
    153
    +1 Steve

  5. #4
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    147
    An advantage to shooting an air gun is it can be done in the garage or basement. When my wife is not home it can be done in the living room. Some kind of projectile trap is needed. Several years ago I melted some paraffin and made a cookie cutter from a .357 case. Then I took my "wax" bullets and loaded them in primed 38 special cases. Primer only. No powder. Then I used my S&W model 19 for indoor fun. It may not be training, but I believe it is still practice.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    457
    Nothing that you can learn by shooting any kind of BB gun will translate to any sort of pistol-shooting skill.
    That even applies to sight picture and trigger press.
    If that's not sarcasm, please explain.
    Seems to me sight picture & trigger control are pretty universal items when firing any sort of gun where they apply. Taking your logic a bit further, people needn't bother with dry firing or .22 pistols either.
    While a CO2 Crosman BB Gun wouldn't be my first choice, calling it useless is doing airgun practice a big disservice.
    Airguns are also an excellent way to introduce new shooter to the same rules of safety that they will use for firearms. Being able to fire thousands of aimed shots without visiting a range all the time can't help but add skill. I know the many thousands of additional shots I took in the back yard improved my accuracy.

  7. #6
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboHonda View Post
    An advantage to shooting an air gun is it can be done in the garage or basement. When my wife is not home it can be done in the living room. Some kind of projectile trap is needed. Several years ago I melted some paraffin and made a cookie cutter from a .357 case. Then I took my "wax" bullets and loaded them in primed 38 special cases. Primer only. No powder. Then I used my S&W model 19 for indoor fun. It may not be training, but I believe it is still practice.
    I think that shooting paraffin "bullets" from your real EDC weapon is very good trigger-control and sight-picture practice indeed.
    You have everything you need for realistic pistol use except the recoil.


    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
    If that's not sarcasm, please explain.
    Seems to me sight picture & trigger control are pretty universal items when firing any sort of gun where they apply...
    Most BB guns, in my own experience, provide crude sights that will only get you "pretty close." Most of them also deliver gritty, heavy trigger actions with sloppy breaks.
    And, no matter what you do, most BB guns are terribly inaccurate, so there's little positive reward involved in shooting them.

    See TurboHonda's remarks, for a better system.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    457
    And, no matter what you do, most BB guns are terribly inaccurate, so there's little positive reward involved in shooting them.
    Most BB guns (even the cheapies) are accurate enough to hit beer cans at 10 paces. That's plenty accurate to entertain a lot of people. Most people aren't terribly demanding with airguns in the first place. For those that are, there is no shortage truly excellent air pistols to be had.
    You'll not convince me that there is absolutely no value to be had.

  9. #8
    jscottjr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9
    I have one of these Bersa BP 9 CC Duo-Tone (Matte/Olive) Finish and my son has one of these Bersa BP9CC Blowback BB Pistol | AirgunDepot.com so great for me to practice draw and time to target drills, as well as just have some fun.

  10. #9
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
    Most BB guns (even the cheapies) are accurate enough to hit beer cans at 10 paces. That's plenty accurate to entertain a lot of people. Most people aren't terribly demanding with airguns in the first place. For those that are, there is no shortage truly excellent air pistols to be had.
    You'll not convince me that there is absolutely no value to be had.
    Chacun son gout.

  11. #10
    all357mag is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    The most fun a man's allowed to have on this planet involves a willing woman! After that, I'd say the S&W M&P 15-22 does the trick!

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •