Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Taurine's Avatar
    Taurine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    At the Zoo
    Posts
    3

    Looking for a new CC

    Hey guys new here but have gun experience. I currently have a S&W 1911 in .45 cal. I am looking into getting a new CC pistol/wife birthday present (dual purpose) I have been steered a couple of different direction by my military buddies but am not sure what is best. I want to keep it in the .45 cal just for ease of ammo being I already have a .45, unless persuaded otherwise towards a smaller caliber.
    Options
    -Glock
    -Taurus
    -Smith and Wesson

    I am leaning towards the Glock due to the "Built like tank" reputation they have. But also keeping in mind I want it to be a CC.

    Thanks for the input guys.

  2. #2
    40calmike is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    17
    Have you the Springfield xd 45 compact? I have had good luck with mine so far and also the wife has no problems shooting it.

  3. #3
    rex
    rex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,301
    If those are your 3 choices,I'd go an M&P.I don't think much of Blocks and Taurus' QC is too spotty for me.

    If you really want built like a tank,forget Glock and invest in an HK.There's more quality in just the slide's machining than in a whole Glock.

  4. #4
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    2,625
    There's nothing wrong with a Glock. They are made very tough and are reliable to a fault. The G21SF is a nice piece. Rex mentioned the M&P. I can vouch for that one, too. I have an M&P 45 with the full size frame and 4" barrel. Balance is excellent as is the feel and handling. Install an Apex Tactical hard sear and their USB (Ultimate Safety Block) for a real winner and a trigger who's second stage is very much like a 1911.

    Lots of good stuff out there. Take your time and don't rush this.

  5. #5
    rustygun is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canton, Oh
    Posts
    308
    Never had a problem with my glocks ,not one. I have been thinking about the new glock 30s. Would like to shoot one first though.

  6. #6
    pic
    pic is online now Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    If those are your 3 choices,I'd go an M&P.I don't think much of Blocks and Taurus' QC is too spotty for me.

    If you really want built like a tank,forget Glock and invest in an HK.There's more quality in just the slide's machining than in a whole Glock.
    I second that motion, H&K.
    reliability is sometimes confused with quality.

  7. #7
    Taurine's Avatar
    Taurine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    At the Zoo
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by pic View Post
    I second that motion, H&K.
    reliability is sometimes confused with quality.
    Like I said input was helpful so thanks guys, I had completely forgotten about the H&K.
    I wont be rushing, HER birthday and MY new CC day is a ways out haha.

    I like the specs of the HK 45, but was also wondering about the USP compact, they look similar but not sure of the differences in them as I have never had my hands on either one. (No one around here carries them)

  8. #8
    pic
    pic is online now Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurine View Post
    Like I said input was helpful so thanks guys, I had completely forgotten about the H&K.
    I wont be rushing, HER birthday and MY new CC day is a ways out haha.

    I like the specs of the HK 45, but was also wondering about the USP compact, they look similar but not sure of the differences in them as I have never had my hands on either one. (No one around here carries them)
    I will not mention their names, but REX, And VAMarine are very knowledgable about the current status of the H&K'S in production. My next gun I will be taking a very close look at is the HK45.
    Good shopping n shooting, thanks ,
    PIC

  9. #9
    rex
    rex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,301
    I have a fullsize USP,they're big.I looked at a compact but I have a Commander that holds 8 rounds so I couldn't justify that one.I haven't had my hands on the HK45s but everyone seems to like the feel over the USP,you;ll just have to hold them to compare.

    From what I gather the internals of the HK45 are very close to the USP but there are some differences,what I don't know but the Match trigger from the USP appears to drop in it.I still have less than a box through mine and the Match trigger comes in right under 5lbs,and they really smooth out through the first 1000 snaps or shots.It isn't quite a 1911 trigger,but it's real close.Mags are not cheap though and sucks spending $60 for one,but.............

    They are strong.Testing on the MK23 and I think the USP,they lodged a bullet in the bore and shot it out.While the barrel swelled as it should the gun still functioned and was pulling something like 6"groups still.I don't like plastic,but HK is probably the only one I'd own.Doesn't hurt it's laid out like a 1911 and I like the mag release design.

  10. #10
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is online now Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurine View Post
    Like I said input was helpful so thanks guys, I had completely forgotten about the H&K.
    I wont be rushing, HER birthday and MY new CC day is a ways out haha.

    I like the specs of the HK 45, but was also wondering about the USP compact, they look similar but not sure of the differences in them as I have never had my hands on either one. (No one around here carries them)
    Quote Originally Posted by pic View Post
    I will not mention their names, but REX, And VAMarine are very knowledgable about the current status of the H&K'S in production. My next gun I will be taking a very close look at is the HK45.
    Good shopping n shooting, thanks ,
    PIC


    The HK45 (or 45C in this case if you're looking for a smaller gun) is a more refined version of the USP. It features a picatinny (1913) rail that is more accessory friendly than the proprietary rail on the USP, has a more ergonomic grip, an enlarged magazine release, and changeable back-straps to get a better fit. The slide stop/release is also a little different as is the safety lever.


    If we're talking about the full size HK45 vs. full size USP, the USP holds 12+1 while the Hk45 holds 10+1. They thinned out the magazine to make for a more comfortable grip.

    I've never been a big fan of the USP, but I love my HK45 and other P-Series pistols.

    However!

    The triggers on the HKs aren't that great, I'm digging the LEM but the DA/SA variants aren't that great in my opinion but there are plenty that like them just fine.

    The magazines are expensive, twice that of a Glock or M&P magazine and holster selection can be limited depending on budget. Same goes for the gun, for what you pay for a new in box HK, you can get a Glock or M&P, a nice holster, and a couple extra magazines.

    I'm not all that happy about Glocks .45ACP offerings and would probably look at the Smith M&P line of pistols in .45.

    The HK45 Variant 1, which is the most commonly found form has a thumb safety and de-cocker. Is a manual safety a requirement? The location/function of the de-cocker of the V1 pistols can be problematic for some (me included) in that if you ride the safety too hard you can de-cock the pistol while firing.

    There's a ton of possible combinations for the pistol and how it works, but trying to find the exact combination from a dealer is rare depending on what you want.



    Guns can always be sent in to HK for retrofitting, or if you're adventurous you can do some of the conversions yourself.

  11. #11
    Huskybiker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    20
    Springfield XDS!

  12. #12
    shaolin's Avatar
    shaolin is online now Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    445
    I own a Glock 36 and it shoot fine. There are times I feel that I need more than the 6+1 but I have never needed more than 6 rds either so I am safe I feel for 96% of the times I believe. Springfield has got a new slim .45acp out there but I trust a glock to go bang when I pull the trigger so that is what I carry 90% of the time. I mostly carry a Glock 19 9mm with 15rds as I can shoot it faster than a 45acp and place the bullets in the K5 at a better rate too. Don't get me wrong or debate the 9mm vs .45acp but I feel shot placement wins fights but if a I knew a man was going to kick in my door I am going to grab my Kimber 1911 8+1 230gr 45acp JHP Golddot or Hydroshok. You should go to a range and shoot the different calibers with your wife and see what she feels comfortable most with. I can almost assure you that a 9mm would serve her better in the long run.

  13. #13
    Taurine's Avatar
    Taurine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    At the Zoo
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
    I own a Glock 36 and it shoot fine. There are times I feel that I need more than the 6+1 but I have never needed more than 6 rds either so I am safe I feel for 96% of the times I believe. Springfield has got a new slim .45acp out there but I trust a glock to go bang when I pull the trigger so that is what I carry 90% of the time. I mostly carry a Glock 19 9mm with 15rds as I can shoot it faster than a 45acp and place the bullets in the K5 at a better rate too. Don't get me wrong or debate the 9mm vs .45acp but I feel shot placement wins fights but if a I knew a man was going to kick in my door I am going to grab my Kimber 1911 8+1 230gr 45acp JHP Golddot or Hydroshok. You should go to a range and shoot the different calibers with your wife and see what she feels comfortable most with. I can almost assure you that a 9mm would serve her better in the long run.
    Unfortunately for my wallet I am thinking the same thing haha. We went to the range(our bit o' land) this weekend and shot with some friends and I think a 9mm might fit her better, also like you said 16 is better than 7 when it comes to placement so we will see.
    Thanks for all the input guys, and keep it coming if you have a different idea too.

  14. #14
    Doublea17 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14
    I have the G30sf I really like it for a .45, even though it is bigger then my XDs .45 I prefer to carry my it. It carries more rounds and for me it just feels right. I haven't had one problem with either one the both shoot whatever I have fed them.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1