Need help buying compact pistol

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 35
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      1

      Need help buying compact pistol

      I'm new to the pistol world, I'm big in rifles an shotguns but I'm looking for a good Concealed Carry pistol, I currently carry a cobra ca.380 and it's not the most reliable so I'm looking for a good brand with a little more fire power, I've seen some Taurus guns in my price range which is around $500 give or take but have heard good and bad.

      I'm looking for a compact gun that I can easily slide in an out of back pocket or a good concealed carry holster, I work on the railroad in some rough places.

      I have seen a S&W 40 compact that seems to be the right size but just looking for some good info. Thanks

    2. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cummins05 View Post
      I'm new to the pistol world, I'm big in rifles an shotguns but I'm looking for a good Concealed Carry pistol, I currently carry a cobra ca.380 and it's not the most reliable so I'm looking for a good brand with a little more fire power, I've seen some Taurus guns in my price range which is around $500 give or take but have heard good and bad.

      I'm looking for a compact gun that I can easily slide in an out of back pocket or a good concealed carry holster, I work on the railroad in some rough places.

      I have seen a S&W 40 compact that seems to be the right size but just looking for some good info. Thanks
      I have a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm that I really like. Extremely reliable and just the right size for me. You can get it in 40 and 45 as well. They also make a subcompact that you might be interested in but that is just too small for my taste. I like the external safety/decocker but I understand why many don't.
      Deprecated Browser Error

    3. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      11
      9mm Subcompact Pistol Roundup - Because You Asked for It | The Truth About Guns

      Isn't a complete list, but it will give you a few options

    4. #4
      Senior Member paratrooper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      4,738
      Stay away from anything Taurus, and I do mean anything.

      I have several compacts, but I do have to say, my current favorite one is my Sig P250C, chambered in .40 cal. It's also available in 9mm, .357 Sig, and .45 acp.

      And, the Sig is competitively priced with the others that would fit in it's category.

    5. #5
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,468
      For years, I carried an AMT .45 Backup. It fits easily into any pants pocket. I carried it in a pocket holster by Robert Mika. (Yes, it has to be in a holster.)

      The AMT Backup line is no longer made, but you can find them used for a reasonable amount of money. Mine cost $600.00, but that was a while ago.
      Be advised that every AMT Backup you find will need trigger work by a decent gunsmith. But they are accurate, reliable (if kept clean), and, in .45 ACP, properly powerful.

      Pocket pistols, even in holsters, are lint magnets. Frequent cleaning is a necessity.
      Pocket pistols in 9mm and .45 require practice of the user, since small, powerful guns are very hard to shoot effectively and accurately.

    6. #6
      Senior Member paratrooper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      4,738
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      For years, I carried an AMT .45 Backup. It fits easily into any pants pocket. I carried it in a pocket holster by Robert Mika. (Yes, it has to be in a holster.)

      The AMT Backup line is no longer made, but you can find them used for a reasonable amount of money. Mine cost $600.00, but that was a while ago.
      Be advised that every AMT Backup you find will need trigger work by a decent gunsmith. But they are accurate, reliable (if kept clean), and, in .45 ACP, properly powerful.

      Pocket pistols, even in holsters, are lint magnets. Frequent cleaning is a necessity.
      Pocket pistols in 9mm and .45 require practice of the user, since small, powerful guns are very hard to shoot effectively and accurately.

      I too, have an AMT .45 BackUp. Bought it a few years ago, NIB, as a novelty. I've shot some chambered in 9mm, and found them to be rather finicky, as to functioning.

      Don't think I'd ever recommend one though.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      169
      I don't know how big you are but my husband just picked up a XD9 after my brother got one and loves it.

      Hubby loves it too.

      It is small enough to carry easy, shoots great, easy enough to clean and should stand the test of time. Cost us about $500 plus transfer fee.

      My husband is 5' 9" and 150 so he is not a big guy. He is very lean and so it isn't easy for him to hide a piece. He can hide this. Our state is conceal only. I can't quite conceal it. I am 5' 6" and 130. If I wore a sweat shirt, sure but It is getting hot in Florida soon...hubby carried today in a Tshirt and jeans...he is not a shorts kind of guy.

      Hope you find your piece.

    8. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      169
      I will second the Taurus warning. My brother in law got one NIB a couple of years ago and never got it to function properly and ended up sending it back. I think it was a .45.

    9. #9
      Senior Member paratrooper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      4,738
      Quote Originally Posted by momtotwo View Post
      I will second the Taurus warning. My brother in law got one NIB a couple of years ago and never got it to function properly and ended up sending it back. I think it was a .45.

      At one time, I did buy a Taurus mdl. 85 revolver. It was NIB and I came across an offer that Taurus would do a trigger job and port it, all for $99.00.

      I sent it back and when I got it back, I was showing it to a friend, and he fell in love with it. He wouldn't leave my house unless I sold it to him.

      Anyways, I sold it to him (for more than I had into it) and he left a happy camper. I got a range report about a week later, and he said it was the sweetest shooting snubby that he had ever fired. And, he's a very experienced shooter, so that meant quite a bit to me.

      I knew that I should have asked more for it.............

    10. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      169
      Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
      At one time, I did buy a Taurus mdl. 85 revolver. It was NIB and I came across an offer that Taurus would do a trigger job and port it, all for $99.00.

      I sent it back and when I got it back, I was showing it to a friend, and he fell in love with it. He wouldn't leave my house unless I sold it to him.

      Anyways, I sold it to him (for more than I had into it) and he left a happy camper. I got a range report about a week later, and he said it was the sweetest shooting snubby that he had ever fired. And, he's a very experienced shooter, so that meant quite a bit to me.

      I knew that I should have asked more for it.............


      there you go....maybe you will be happy with it. hard to say....but that is a revolver too, not a semi

    11. #11
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,468
      Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
      I too, have an AMT .45 BackUp. Bought it a few years ago, NIB, as a novelty...and found them to be rather finicky, as to functioning.
      Don't think I'd ever recommend one though.
      Mine always went "BANG!" when I asked it to.
      And it always hit what I pointed it at, out to my "outer limits"—20 yards.

      I admit doing a ramp-and-chamber polish job, and a trigger job on it.
      No, I did not cut the hammer spring: I only carefully polished the inner works, and made the face of the trigger dead smooth.

    12. #12
      Senior Member paratrooper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      4,738
      Quote Originally Posted by momtotwo View Post
      there you go....maybe you will be happy with it. hard to say....but that is a revolver too, not a semi


      Bottom line.....I don't have much, if any use, for a Taurus firearm. I pretty much equate them with Rossi and Charter Arms.

    13. #13
      Senior Member paratrooper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      4,738
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      Mine always went "BANG!" when I asked it to.
      And it always hit what I pointed it at, out to my "outer limits"—20 yards.

      I admit doing a ramp-and-chamber polish job, and a trigger job on it.
      No, I did not cut the hammer spring: I only carefully polished the inner works, and made the face of the trigger dead smooth.

      Everyone that I knew that owned an AMT BackUP, no matter the caliber, was an experienced shooter. I would never ever recommend one to a novice. They're just too quirky.

    14. #14
      Senior Member berettatoter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      1,919
      My EDC is the Beretta BU9 Nano, and I love it. They run for around 450 dollars.

    15. #15
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,468
      Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
      Everyone that I knew that owned an AMT BackUP, no matter the caliber, was an experienced shooter. I would never ever recommend one to a novice. They're just too quirky.
      Yup. I agree.
      You will note that previously in this thread I wrote: "Pocket pistols in 9mm and .45 require practice of the user, since small, powerful guns are very hard to shoot effectively and accurately."
      You may also remember that my usual mantra, in response to questions about little guns, is that mini-pistols are experts' tools, unsuited to beginners.

      But in this case the OP said that he was already using a tiny gun, and he then asked for other suggestions.

    16. #16
      pic
      pic is offline
      Supporting Member HGF Gold Member

      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      3,157
      I ALWAYS wanted an AMT backup, my friends AMT was flawless..

    17. #17
      Senior Member Bisley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      2,289
      My favorite compact is the Springfield XDs in .45 ACP. They are fairly new, so hard to find, and still in the $550-600 range.

      In your price category, the Kahr CM series might be available in 9mm and .40 S&W. Also, a lot of folks have had good luck with the KelTec 9mm, which sells for under $400, I think. You might find a S&W snub-nosed revolver in .38 Special for that price range, if you aren't locked in on a semi-auto.

      There are lots of other good ones that come to mind, but compacts are very much in demand right now, so the good ones aren't cheap, and they may be hard to find. I would stay away from Taurus, personally, but some folks have owned some models that apparently worked well enough to suit their needs.

    18. #18
      Member Easy_CZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      222
      If I were in the market for a slim and compact 9, I'd go for a Shield, CZ RAMI or Nano. I'm a big Sig fan, but the new P938 recently received an "F" from Gun Reports. I'd also steer clear of any Taurus products as they are very hit-or-miss.

      There are many good options out there in compact handguns. You might also consider a 357 revolver like the LCR 357. You can shoot both 357s and 38s with that baby. And it's in you price range.

    19. #19
      Member goNYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      175
      Check out CZ...from the RAMI in sub-compact to the P-07 and P-06/01 compacts. They are based on the best 9mm platform ever, the CZ-75.

    20. #20
      Member goNYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      175
      Oh, and I forgot...check out LW SEECAMP. Very reliable, high quality, old school guns.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    9mm pocket gun for under $400

    ,

    best 2013 compact 45 handgun

    ,

    best sub-compact 9 mm semi automatic pistol in 2013

    ,

    best subcompact 40 caliber pistol, 2013

    ,

    best subcompact pistols 2013

    ,

    buy amt backup 40 s&w

    ,

    buy amt smith and wesson 40 backup

    ,

    california legal compact 45

    ,

    cobra ca380 forum

    ,

    cobra ca380 trigger

    ,

    what is the year amt 40 cal backup pistol made

    ,

    which sub- compact 45 acp pistols are legal in california

    Click on a term to search for related topics.