Best small semi autos? 9mm and .22?

    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      21

      Best small semi autos? 9mm and .22?

      I would like to get a couple of small/compact handguns to compliment my 92fs. I am leaning towards another 9mm. In addition to a 9mm I am thinking about adding a .22 for target shooting. I have heard god things about sigs but I really like the safety/decocker feature of the beretta and I dont know how the guns work that dont offer this. I dont know if I will ever get a concealed weapon permit but I think it would be nice to have a smaller gun to travel with. what recommendations do you have? Thanks in advance!

    2. #2
      Senior Member denner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Posts
      2,796
      Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
      I would like to get a couple of small/compact handguns to compliment my 92fs. I am leaning towards another 9mm. In addition to a 9mm I am thinking about adding a .22 for target shooting. I have heard god things about sigs but I really like the safety/decocker feature of the beretta and I dont know how the guns work that dont offer this. I dont know if I will ever get a concealed weapon permit but I think it would be nice to have a smaller gun to travel with. what recommendations do you have? Thanks in advance!
      If you're familiar w/ Beretta's platform the px4's in compact and subcompact are worth taking a look at.

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      1,366
      I love my Beretta 84fs.......very accurate, tight, great shooter....I only carry it in the winter....use the S&W Bodyguard for warm months...I like the .380 cal. for shooting, it's relatively cheap.....to me and I am sure, others, a lot of the smaller guns aren't mean't to be pounded with lots of rounds ie. Bodyguard, Ruger, Kel Tec etc. It's another reason I like my 84, small cal. but I think that it could take thousands and thousands of rounds, no problem, plus, I also like the decocker/safety, plus, I just like Berettas....

    4. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      21
      I am leaning towards a PX4 compact so the grip is not too small and I can stick with 9mm. Anything else? As far as the 22 it seems like the Ruger MK is the one to get.

    5. #5
      Senior Member chessail77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      White Mtns. in AZ
      Posts
      1,349
      Most Sigs are DA/SA with a decocker the longer and stiffer first trigger pull (DA)is the safety just like a revolver.....JJ

    6. #6
      Senior Member TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      1,859
      .22 ruger mk1 or mk2 or mk3 ...... for plinking, doesnt get better than that

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      38
      If you`re looking for a fun gun thats reasonably priced look at the new Ruger SR22 22lr. I purchased one for my wife and I love to shoot it myself and I have expensive 22lr`s one being Smith 41 22 lr yet this Ruger is really fun to shoot....

    8. #8
      Member DanP_from_AZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Chino Valley, AZ
      Posts
      520
      Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
      .22 ruger mk1 or mk2 or mk3 ...... for plinking, doesnt get better than that
      Are you real, REAL sure about that ?

      I'd agree there are many fine Ruger models available which cost a bit less than my Buck Mark Plus ("Plus" is just the special Rosewood laminated grips).

    9. #9
      Senior Member TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      1,859
      Quote Originally Posted by DanP_from_AZ View Post
      Are you real, REAL sure about that ?

      I'd agree there are many fine Ruger models available which cost a bit less than my Buck Mark Plus ("Plus" is just the special Rosewood laminated grips).
      guess we could argue for days, but wheres the fun in that unless we get someone to speak up for the colt woodsman?

    10. #10
      Member DanP_from_AZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Chino Valley, AZ
      Posts
      520
      Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
      guess we could argue for days, but wheres the fun in that unless we get someone to speak up for the colt woodsman?
      Nah, I would never argue that the I, II, and III's aren't fine weapons.

      When after years and years I FINALLY decided to fill my ".22LR semi-auto hole in my collection", I just wanted something a "little different".
      Ruger's are fine. I REALLY like my Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull. If you're going to spend a bunch of cash, it's good to get a lot of metal in the bargain.

      And, I'll stick up for the Woodsman !

      I've wasted too many hours prowling gun shops and gun shows looking for a good Woodsman for a reasonable price.
      I've never seen many for sale. And never for a "reasonable" price. I'm pretty sure a lot of people aren't willing to part with their's. It's a cult, for sure.
      I think I've missed the boat on not "prowling" at estate sales, where I might be able to cheat the widow out of one of her hubby's prized possession.

    11. #11
      Senior Member dondavis3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
      Posts
      1,893
      Sigs have a decocker & doesn't need a safety IMHO

      I bought a Sig P229 in 9mm and a .22 cal conversion kit and it works great.

      Just change the slide & mags & shoot either cal in one gun.


    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    best 9mm concealed carry 2012
    ,
    best 9mm semi autos
    ,
    best compact 9mm
    ,

    best compact 9mm 2012

    ,
    best compact 9mm semi auto pistol
    ,
    best small 22lr pistol
    ,

    best small 9mm

    ,
    best small 9mm semi auto
    ,

    handguns 22 semi-autos

    ,
    small 9mm semi auto
    ,
    smallest 9mm semi auto
    ,
    smallest handguns 22 semi-autos
    Click on a term to search for related topics.