View Poll Results: which one is the better caliber .40s&w or 10mm

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • .40s&w

    66 67.35%
  • 10mm

    32 32.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    AIM RIGHT's Avatar
    AIM RIGHT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80

    40s&w or 10mm which ones better?

    I was recently on a site and there was a big debate between the 40s&w and the 10mm. Me personally I really like the 40s&w caliber as my personal choice. But I never used the 10mm round, so to the ones that will like to respond which one do you prefer? And why?

  2. #2
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,283
    I voted the .40 S&W. Nothing wrong with the 10x25mm mind you, but I think the 10x22mm will serve you just fine for self defense against humans. The 10mm Auto, in my humble opinion, is just a little on the heavy side for self defense against a human attack. Too much chance for a blow thru.

  3. #3
    denner's Avatar
    denner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,966
    10mm is a good hunting round for hogs and deer sized game. It's more powerful than the 40 cal, but cost's more in ammo. I'd say the 10 mm is a better option for hunting.

  4. #4
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    A lot has to do with how much money you have.

    The 10mm will do everything the .40 will do, but at a higher cost.

    It will do a lot more at the high end than the .40 is capable of.

    A lot of 10mm ammo is loaded to near .40 levels. If you are shooting a Glock 29 you will have the best of both worlds. A lighter shooting gun when you want personal defense, and a heavier shooting one when you need the extra power.

    However the Glock 29 is substantially larger than the Glock 27 which is the small version of the .40.

    If I were considering buying a Glock 23 in .40 caliber (midsized weapon), and I had LOTS of money, then I might have a go at buying the Glock 29 in 10mm which is nearly the same size as the G23.

    But for most personal defense requirements, the .40 is a more economical round and is available in smaller weapons than the 10mm.

  5. #5
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by berettatoter View Post
    I voted the .40 S&W. Nothing wrong with the 10x25mm mind you, but I think the 10x22mm will serve you just fine for self defense against humans. The 10mm Auto, in my humble opinion, is just a little on the heavy side for self defense against a human attack. Too much chance for a blow thru.
    I believe that Double Tap loads a 10mm round in .135 grain that pushes out the barrel at about 1500 to 1600 fps. The round is purported to literally explode into pieces once it hits the target; no blow thru at all.

    If you are shooting a more normal loading of 165 to 180 grain I would tend to agree with you. But overall I think you can get a 10mm to do everything a .40 can do (but for a lot more money spent on ammo).

  6. #6
    rgrundy's Avatar
    rgrundy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    249
    The FBI used the 10mm for awhile but had to dumb it down to 40 S&W power levels so they could shoot it.

  7. #7
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrundy View Post
    The FBI used the 10mm for awhile but had to dumb it down to 40 S&W power levels so they could shoot it.
    They didn't have to dumb it down for all their shooters; they had to accommodate the entire staff. Some of them could not handle the recoil from the 10mm.

    I thought that the FBI should have kept the 10mm and offered the agents the option to choose the .40 if they wish.

    The 10mm did much better on the FBI protocol tests than any of the other rounds. The FBI places a high emphasis on penetration; much more so than other departments.

  8. #8
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    I'll take the 10mm

    Thats a fucking gun...

  9. #9
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hendertucky Nv.
    Posts
    198
    .40 is fine. More choice of ammo by the way. Your not specifying whats the purpose? If you want a make my day pistol get a taurus in .454 casul. If you want a CCW get the .40 and practice. With the 10mm you also have less pistol options, something to consider.

  10. #10
    Lateck is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southwest Arizona
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    .40 is fine. More choice of ammo by the way. Your not specifying whats the purpose? If you want a make my day pistol get a taurus in .454 casul. If you want a CCW get the .40 and practice. With the 10mm you also have less pistol options, something to consider.
    Can't argue with this logic...... (at least not to much )

    Lateck,

  11. #11
    danattherock's Avatar
    danattherock is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by AIM RIGHT View Post
    I was recently on a site and there was a big debate between the 40s&w and the 10mm. Me personally I really like the 40s&w caliber as my personal choice. But I never used the 10mm round, so to the ones that will like to respond which one do you prefer? And why?

    Apples and oranges. You hunting crack heads or black bear?

  12. #12
    jakeleinen1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Apples and oranges. You hunting crack heads or black bear?
    What about a crack head black bear? jk lol

    Although I did read a police report from Louisiana years ago about a crack head who was shot with several .40 caliber pistols and the bastard still wouldn't go down. An officer with shotgun came and finished dude off with 2 shells... So 10mm against a crackhead??? Not a bad idea

  13. #13
    danattherock's Avatar
    danattherock is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    29
    Can't argue with that


    I have several 40's and love them all. My standard carry, car, and plinking gun. I have a Glock 20 (10 mm) that I take to SE Alaska on remote fishing trips. Many black bear in that area. Also take the 10 mm to more populated areas of Alaska when fly fishing as I can wear it under my fly vest in the galco shoulder rig. Don't want to freak out all the tree huggers. When doing remote float trips in SW or NW Alaska, I take my 4" 500 S&W and prop my Marlin guide gun 45-70 in the raft and against the camp chair. Point being, there is no one gun. Thankfully. Some are just more suited to tasks than others. Home protection, 40 S&W. Black bear and general woods gun, 10 mm. Big brown bears, 500 S&W.

  14. #14
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    I believe that Double Tap loads a 10mm round in .135 grain that pushes out the barrel at about 1500 to 1600 fps. The round is purported to literally explode into pieces once it hits the target; no blow thru at all.

    If you are shooting a more normal loading of 165 to 180 grain I would tend to agree with you. But overall I think you can get a 10mm to do everything a .40 can do (but for a lot more money spent on ammo).
    Well, at 135 grains, yeah I can see the bullet coming apart and stopping inside the target. Holy Bat Crap Robbin, thats around 700 ft/lbs of energy!

  15. #15
    danattherock's Avatar
    danattherock is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    29
    Never considered the 10 mm for 2 legged critters. I use the Double Tap 200 grain hard cast for woods carry and black bear. Good stuff and 750 ft/lbs. Tried the 230 grain but had 3-4 light primer strikes out of 100 rounds and never could get a good answer as to why. Switched to 200 grain at Mike's (at DT) suggestion and never had another issue. Mighty potent ammo in a semi automatic.

  16. #16
    OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    OldCurlyWolf is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    33
    I have both and prefer the 10

  17. #17
    Stonekold's Avatar
    Stonekold is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago,Ill
    Posts
    4
    10 mm is good for hogs but if you use it for home defense you have to worry about over penetration and hurting someone you were not shooting at.. Good round but there are better options!!!

  18. #18
    DepOne's Avatar
    DepOne is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    The FBI places a high emphasis on penetration; much more so than other departments.
    They learned that lesson years ago in Miami. Whatever idiot had them carrying 9mm subsonic rounds should have been shot himself. Those rounds hit where they were supposed to but couldn't penetrate enough to cause damage capable of stopping the assailants. Subsonic 9mms are designed for suppressed machine pistols

    I spent a day with the FBI HRT guys a few months ago and found it interesting they were almost all carrying 1911s in .45 ACP.

  19. #19
    danattherock's Avatar
    danattherock is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonekold View Post
    10 mm is good for hogs but if you use it for home defense you have to worry about over penetration and hurting someone you were not shooting at.. Good round but there are better options!!!

    Agreed. By it's very nature, the 10 mm is a perfect woods gun. I don't consider mine for in home protection. Sig 229 40 S&W takes honors in my house. Speaking of which, just got a stainless guide rod from Steve for that Sig. Steve Bedair Stainless Guide Rods for Handguns if I recall. Awesome product and he makes them for many guns. I am not a fan of the plastic guide rods myself.

  20. #20
    DWARREN123's Avatar
    DWARREN123 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Between TN & KY
    Posts
    112
    I have both, G22 and G20, and it is really a toss up for me. I reload for both and carry both. The 10mm has more power when loaded up properly and the 40 S&W is a little smaller.
    Both good setups in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

.40 vs 10mm
,
10 mm vs .40 cal
,
10mm ammo vs 40 cal
,
10mm or .40
,
10mm or 40 s&w
,
10mm vs .40 cal
,

10mm vs 40

,

10mm vs 40 cal

,

10mm vs 40 s&w

,

40 cal vs 10mm

,
40 calibre compared to 10 mm
,

40 s&w vs 10mm

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1