Semi-Auto manufatures you would bet your life on and ones you would avoid.
I'm not new to guns. I shot my first hand gun in Alabama on my uncles farm at the age of 7. That was 30 yrs ago this month. I've been actively shooting every since but I have stuck with mostly name brand manufactures and of those a lot have been wheel guns.
I see a bunch of manufactures out there that I have very little or no experience with and I would just like people opinions on what you would bet your life on vs manufactures you would avoid.
Please don't turn this into a bickering match. State you opinion and let other state theirs. Here is my list.
1) Sig - I've owned a 229 and currently a 226 in 9mm. Both been 100% reliable over 1000's of rounds. Never a jam or failure.
2) Ruger - Owned a couple of different models and shot a dozen different guns. Currently own an LCP that the GF carries and hopefully getting an LC9 when/if CCW gets passed here in IL. All have been fantastic. A buddies P95 gave me a few problems but I think that was due to poor maintenance. I cleaned it and it worked flawlessly for another 100 rounds.
3) Glock - Owned a Glock 19 9mm and it was extremely reliable. Would trust it but didn't care for the way it "felt" grip was strange in my hand. Next was a Glock 27 .40C. Was reliable for a couple of thousand rounds then had the gun explode in my hand. Sent it back to be examined. Never got what I thought was a true answer. They said it was a faulty round but offered me a refund. I took it and didn't ask any more questions. This Kind of turned me off to the brand. I Would trust them but don't like them.
4) Beretta - Owned a 92F and the smaller 84F. Both operated perfect for thousands of rounds.
5) S&W - Most of my experience is with wheel guns but I recently bought a model 22A for cheap plinking and I'm extremely happy with it. Are other S&W Semi-Autos reliable?
On the fence
1) Springfield - The current deal on the XDM 9mm is tempting and I'm almost ready to swipe the credit card. I've shot a couple of hundred rounds through one and it ran fine but how are they long term? Are they reliable after 10,000 rounds?
2) CZ and H&K - Can't say a word about these guys either way.. Never shot one. Good news is it seems like most of the reviews are positive. Very few complaints. How are they long term?
1) Kahr - Owned a PM45 that would not lock the slide then developed a FTF. After a return trip to mfg I worked with my local shop to get a refund. Took several weeks but I finally got my money back. Having read literally hundreds of other threads of people with similar problems I would not trust one to defend myself or even for a range gun.
2) Kel-Tec - Owned the P3AT and it would never load anything but round point FMJ. Never found a HP that would reliably load. Gun was returned for service and after a 90 day wait it was returned to me with the same problem. Sold gun to local. now i'm reading reports of their .22 blowing up on rapid fire. Some are speculating the gun is firing out of battery. Wouldn't put my trust in one of these either.
What am I missing. Who else makes a reliable 10,000+ round Semi-Auto?