Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261

    Seeking New Gun Recommendations...

    Here's my criteria:
    - a tested, reliable weapon
    - semi-automatic
    - 9mm
    - full size (4.5 to 5 inch barrel)
    - non-polymer frame (or weighing at least 30 oz)
    - prefer 3 dot sights
    - prefer high capacity mag
    - like to stay under $800

    I'm considering the Browning High Power, the Rock Island 1911 Tactical (9mm), Sig P226, and I recently tried a CZ that I liked (I forget the model). I don't care for Beretta, Taurus, or Para models.

    Opinions and recommendations sought!! Thank you.

  2. #2
    EliWolfe is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    Here's my criteria:
    - a tested, reliable weapon
    - semi-automatic
    - 9mm
    - full size (4.5 to 5 inch barrel)
    - non-polymer frame (or weighing at least 30 oz)
    - prefer 3 dot sights
    - prefer high capacity mag
    - like to stay under $800

    I'm considering the Browning High Power, the Rock Island 1911 Tactical (9mm), Sig P226, and I recently tried a CZ that I liked (I forget the model). I don't care for Beretta, Taurus, or Para models.

    Opinions and recommendations sought!! Thank you.
    Since I love the Beretta 92, the only gun on your list that trips my trigger is that BHP!!!
    Eli

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Indiana
    Posts
    291
    Don't sell the Taurus PT92 short. For my money, it's as good as (or better than) any of them.

  4. #4
    cubsfanp226 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16
    I purchased a Sig P226 earlier this year after doing a lot of homework. I have loved everything about it so far. I've put over 1,000 rounds through it and have yet to have a jam/misfire or any other imaginable problem. I decided on the p226 elite over the p226 Navy, which was a small price difference where I was buying from, but I loved the result. The p226 is definitely a head-turner on the range and with my friends. I purchased an extended (20 rd) magazine at a gun show for around $30, which is the cheapest i've seen. My p226 came with SigLite Night Sights, which work great. I decided on Sig over Glock, Springfield XDM and an HK USP9



  5. #5
    EliWolfe is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
    Don't sell the Taurus PT92 short. For my money, it's as good as (or better than) any of them.
    Dude don't want a Beretta 92 or a Taurus "Beretta" neither. Must be something in the water.
    Eli

  6. #6
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfanp226 View Post
    I purchased a Sig P226 earlier this year after doing a lot of homework. I have loved everything about it so far. I've put over 1,000 rounds through it and have yet to have a jam/misfire or any other imaginable problem. I decided on the p226 elite over the p226 Navy, which was a small price difference where I was buying from, but I loved the result. The p226 is definitely a head-turner on the range and with my friends. I purchased an extended (20 rd) magazine at a gun show for around $30, which is the cheapest i've seen. My p226 came with SigLite Night Sights, which work great. I decided on Sig over Glock, Springfield XDM and an HK USP9


    I tried the P226 also and really liked it. Not sure if it's worth nearly double the price of a CZ 75B or a Rock Island. What differentiates the P226? What do you think?

  7. #7
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by EliWolfe View Post
    Dude don't want a Beretta 92 or a Taurus "Beretta" neither. Must be something in the water.
    Eli
    Correct. Nothing against those guns, I tried them along with the RIA, P226, CZ 75B, and a Browning High Power. I like all of the aforementioned guns, plus maybe something I've failed to check out at this point.

    Looking for input on how to differentiate these guns and make a good decision. In terms of feel and features, I like them all. In terms of cost, the P226 and the BHP are much more expensive -- not sure if they're worth the premium to me. What do you think?

  8. #8
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    I tied the P226 also and really liked it. Not sure if it's worth nearly double the price of a CZ 75B or a Rock Island. What differentiates the P226? What do you think?
    Excellent observation. Sigs are great guns, but so is the CZ, and for a lot less money, while not giving up anything in precision or reliability, and nothing really noticeable in fit and finish.

    I cannot bring myself to buy a Sig, as long as there are CZ's that I don't have. The RIA is an expensive handgun that people often 'write off' quickily. But you can't find many folks who will say that they aren't decent handguns.

  9. #9
    cubsfanp226 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    I tied the P226 also and really liked it. Not sure if it's worth nearly double the price of a CZ 75B or a Rock Island. What differentiates the P226? What do you think?
    Well, I've never shot a CZ, but to me it came down to feel. I was originally going to buy a Glock until i handled one. I have short, stubby hands and a Glock felt like a 2x4 in my hands. Changed courses when I talked to some people about the XDM. I shot it and it's a great gun, but it's a DAO pistol. I prefer a hammer. Guy at my local gun shop had me hold a Sig P229 (very similar) and the grip felt like a gun is supposed to in MY hand. Please know it's all a matter of personal preference, and I'm just one guy with an opinion. I've got experience with my P226 and I'm definitely biased toward it. I searched forums on the Rock Islands as they look like nice guns but heard some unfavorable reviews so I scratched that. Went with the P226 Elite as it came with night sights, wood grips, and a short-reset trigger. The short reset trigger was important since for me it's easier to only release the trigger back to where it clicks, and be able to fire again. To me, it allows me to put shots on target at a quicker pace and smaller groups as i don't have as far to go once i release the trigger. In my opinion, the P226 was the best looking and best performing gun for my price range. I've had no problems thus far with it and it fires exactly where i aim, which is basically what everyone wants in a gun. I purchased my gun for $813 + handling fees and FFL fees. It seems a step below the custom guns like Wilson and Baer, but definitely differentiates itself from the mid-level guns with the features i mentioned and its look. Hopefully that helped and didn't sound like a big love-fest with my Sig.

  10. #10
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfanp226 View Post
    Well, I've never shot a CZ, but to me it came down to feel. I was originally going to buy a Glock until i handled one. I have short, stubby hands and a Glock felt like a 2x4 in my hands. Changed courses when I talked to some people about the XDM. I shot it and it's a great gun, but it's a DAO pistol. I prefer a hammer. Guy at my local gun shop had me hold a Sig P229 (very similar) and the grip felt like a gun is supposed to in MY hand. Please know it's all a matter of personal preference, and I'm just one guy with an opinion. I've got experience with my P226 and I'm definitely biased toward it. I searched forums on the Rock Islands as they look like nice guns but heard some unfavorable reviews so I scratched that. Went with the P226 Elite as it came with night sights, wood grips, and a short-reset trigger. The short reset trigger was important since for me it's easier to only release the trigger back to where it clicks, and be able to fire again. To me, it allows me to put shots on target at a quicker pace and smaller groups as i don't have as far to go once i release the trigger. In my opinion, the P226 was the best looking and best performing gun for my price range. I've had no problems thus far with it and it fires exactly where i aim, which is basically what everyone wants in a gun. I purchased my gun for $813 + handling fees and FFL fees. It seems a step below the custom guns like Wilson and Baer, but definitely differentiates itself from the mid-level guns with the features i mentioned and its look. Hopefully that helped and didn't sound like a big love-fest with my Sig.
    Thanks for the input. I respect your opinion on the Sigs -- proper fit and handling are well worth the premium.

    Regarding the unfavorable opinions on Rock Islands... just curious what your heard and where? I've yet to find anything critical on those guns, but I don't want to fool myself. Thanks!

  11. #11
    cubsfanp226 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I respect your opinion on the Sigs -- proper fit and handling are well worth the premium.

    Regarding the unfavorable opinions on Rock Islands... just curious what your heard and where? I've yet to find anything critical on those guns, but I don't want to fool myself. Thanks!
    Father-in-law owns one, and has had jamming problems with it. Very well could be using factory reloads, but didn't ask him. Uncle who is a policeman in KC suggested against them saying they have reliability issues. However, after seeing reviews on them online, it looks like they are part of a very small crowd that has anything against them. Whatever you get, please post pics, as now you've piqued my interest. I'm actually looking at a CZ RAMI for a CCW, but haven't had a chance to make it to the gun shop to see any. If you get a Rock Island, let me know how it shoots because maybe I was just part of 2 isolated instances with my relatives.

  12. #12
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfanp226 View Post
    Father-in-law owns one, and has had jamming problems with it. Very well could be using factory reloads, but didn't ask him. Uncle who is a policeman in KC suggested against them saying they have reliability issues. However, after seeing reviews on them online, it looks like they are part of a very small crowd that has anything against them. Whatever you get, please post pics, as now you've piqued my interest. I'm actually looking at a CZ RAMI for a CCW, but haven't had a chance to make it to the gun shop to see any. If you get a Rock Island, let me know how it shoots because maybe I was just part of 2 isolated instances with my relatives.
    Thanks for sharing on the Rock Island. I'm really leaning toward the CZ 75B. I like how it feels and shoots, I like what I read, I like the 16 round mag, and I like the price. Now I'm thinking about finishes -- black polycoat or satin nickel....

  13. #13
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    I like my CZ 85 Combat



    It seems to fit your requirements.

    Very dependable - very accurate.


  14. #14
    TheReaper's Avatar
    TheReaper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by dondavis3 View Post
    I like my CZ 85 Combat



    It seems to fit your requirements.

    Very dependable - very accurate.

    This picture really get's around. It is a nice gun.

    OOps I thought it was the Sig.

  15. #15
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    +1 TheReaper



    But it could be I do love my Sig's


  16. #16
    NGIB is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hinesville, GA
    Posts
    113
    While new Sigs are pricey for sure, don't forget the CPO (certified pre-owned) Sigs that are available. I picked up a like new CPO P228 on Gunbroker for less than $520 with 2 brand new Sig mags. TBH, I've only paid over $600 one time for a Sig and that was the P220 ST I just got and it was less than $700. I've owned a P226 (a couple actually) and they are great guns - I just prefer the P228/P229 size...


  17. #17
    cooper623 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    62

    handgun reccomendations

    I own and love a sig 226. It is extremely reliable, accurate, easy to shoot well, and the ergonomics fit me well. In my opinion, they are the absolute top of the line for semi auto handguns. On that note, i have a huge bias towards sigs but other great guns are the beretta 92, the beretta px4 (maybe not so proven yet but i was impressed with it and like it a lot). I know you mentioned not polymer frame as a requirement (I dont blame you, i dont love plastic guns either) but i would say the FNP/FNX, the S&W M&P, and the springfield XDm are all very nice polymer guns that still feel sturdy and would suit your needs. All of these are great guns to consider but whichever one works for you is ultimately the best. Finally, I would strongly suggest handling and shooting if you can all of these guns and any others that you are considering before making a decision.

  18. #18
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    I bought this Sig P226 at a gun show for $300 used.



    It is a Swiss Police trade in and is 9mm (what I wanted).

    It had a lot of wear on it -

    So I sent it to Mary @ CCR CCR-REFINISHING .

    CCR was having a sale of refinishing a slide for $79.

    It is one of my best looking and shooting guns.

    If money is tight - I'd rather buy a "high quality " used gun - than a "cheap" new gun.

    JMHO


  19. #19
    cooper623 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    62

    nice sig

    dondavis, having that refinished is a good idea. Thats a really great looking gun. Hard to believe that it was ever heavily worn, and at $79 its deffinitely worth it. and agreed on the high quality used gun vs a cheap new gun. Plus, if you buy one handgun that you love, you may be able to stick with just that gun. Or.....itll just make you realize how much you love guns and make you want more as it does with me....Either way you'll be happy.

  20. #20
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    Thank you.

    It turned out looking better than new.

    CCR does a great job.

    I like two tone guns anyway.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

5 inch 9mm pistol under $800
,
best 9mm pistol under $800
,
best 9mm under 800
,
cz 85 combat accuracy
,

cz 85 combat dual tone

,
cz 85 combat review
,
cz 85 combat satin nickel
,
sig 228 vs hi power
,
sig p226 dao
,
sig p228 p229 comparison
,

siglite adjustable combat night sights review

,
siglite night sights review
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1