Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52
  1. #21
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by stickhauler View Post
    Somehow we're not seeing a new thread weekly with people claiming they're total POS guns, why is that? I'd bet because even though having problem with one model, they've had success with other models, and a thread proclaiming "A (insert whatever brand) pistol is a POS!" would invoke so much anger from fans of the brand you'd see them calling for the person who started the thread to be hanged.

    Hey dude you were the first one in this thread to use the term POS. You may have been the only one. Dont mistake people saying the gun and its components are not made to the same quality standards as other guns is using the term you are putting in peoples mouths. I believe there isnt a new thread every week saying that they are POS is because no one cares enough about them.

    We get it you own one and feel a need to justify that. But because someone else gives good rational reasons for not wanting to own one himself doesn't mean he, or anyone, refered to your beloved weapon as a POS. They are cheap for a reason. Some perfer to avoid those reasons, some just dig cheap and adapt. Some have never experianced better so they know no differeance. No one called your brand a POS.

    Original poster........ There certianly is always a jackass with something to say. Being new to a sport it is normal to ask opions. If you already know what you are going to do then asking seems a little strange to me, unless you seek validation as opposed to opinion. Oh well you got both. Good luck with your new weapon. I hope you decide to stay with shooting, It is a fun sport.

    RCG

  2. #22
    charger5579 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    75
    i bought a 9mm hi point last year. Shoots pretty good, Super heavy gun!! Its ugly, and it looks super cheap built. I didnt buy it expecting it to be like a glock, or springfield. I bought it because the price was 161 bucks, and i figured it would be at least worth giving it a try for the price. i have several other pistols, and no im not going to say its as good as some of the better brand guns because its not, but i did not expect it to be either! For the price i personaly thinks its a pretty good gun. I will never carry it as conceal weapon because its so heavy and plus if it came down to it, i would alot rather have a trusted brand gun on me if my or someone elses life is on the line!! Just my two cents!

  3. #23
    stickhauler is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by recoilguy View Post
    Hey dude you were the first one in this thread to use the term POS. You may have been the only one. Dont mistake people saying the gun and its components are not made to the same quality standards as other guns is using the term you are putting in peoples mouths. I believe there isnt a new thread every week saying that they are POS is because no one cares enough about them.

    We get it you own one and feel a need to justify that. But because someone else gives good rational reasons for not wanting to own one himself doesn't mean he, or anyone, refered to your beloved weapon as a POS. They are cheap for a reason. Some perfer to avoid those reasons, some just dig cheap and adapt. Some have never experianced better so they know no differeance. No one called your brand a POS.

    Original poster........ There certianly is always a jackass with something to say. Being new to a sport it is normal to ask opions. If you already know what you are going to do then asking seems a little strange to me, unless you seek validation as opposed to opinion. Oh well you got both. Good luck with your new weapon. I hope you decide to stay with shooting, It is a fun sport.

    RCG
    I may have been the first to say "POS", but it was certainly implied by many replies. And I don't feel a need for your approval of what I own, nor do I need your validation of my purchasing one. Just like a few others who replied, I bought mine when I had a need for a handgun, and a limited budget for one. I still have it after all these years even though I've expanded my handgun collection a good bit. It might not be a beauty queen, but by God it works first time-every time, and I've never had a need to use it's lifetime warranty.

    You don't believe there is a thread weekly condemning them? You live a sheltered life, and clearly don't frequent very many gun forums. Because I sure see at least a new one each week, and my time on-line is limited to pretty much weekends.

  4. #24
    group17 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    131
    Personally I'm real tired of all the I hate, I love Hi point threads.

    From now on its "Please do a history search on any forum" and you will find exactly the same polar opposite opinions. The real amazing thing is how many people keep reading them or asking the same question. Sort of like politics in the US. It will never change IMO.

  5. #25
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by stickhauler View Post
    I may have been the first to say "POS", but it was certainly implied by many replies. And I don't feel a need for your approval of what I own, nor do I need your validation of my purchasing one. Just like a few others who replied, I bought mine when I had a need for a handgun, and a limited budget for one. I still have it after all these years even though I've expanded my handgun collection a good bit. It might not be a beauty queen, but by God it works first time-every time, and I've never had a need to use it's lifetime warranty.

    You don't believe there is a thread weekly condemning them? You live a sheltered life, and clearly don't frequent very many gun forums. Because I sure see at least a new one each week, and my time on-line is limited to pretty much weekends.
    I never gave my disapproval nor did I ever imply you needed my approval of your purchase. You do however continue to justify your purchase with every post.

    I don't live a sheltered life I just don't spend my weekends looking for people I think are bashing me and my stuff so I can whine about it. I have no hate.....none...... nor am I a gun snob just because I would not buy a cheap inferior gun that obviously works on occasion and for some every time they pull that fasinatingly smooth trigger. I stand by my statment..they are cheap for a reason.

    It is a sad commentary on someone who will make up what is being said at the specific time in question to justify what they think, then rely on history and other forums to justify the point being made on the one they are posting too.

    RCG

  6. #26
    mtn.shooter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    I am responding to this post only because not 9 months ago I registered here for the purpose of asking the same exact question. The decision to buy a handgun was just as much my wife`s idea as mine. We have had some home invasions here like everywhere and we also take it hiking as we live in mountain lion/ bear country. Like most folks, 9 months ago was a REALLY tough time to come up with cash. I went to a local gunshop w/ the intent to buy a HP 9MM. While had had one in stock, he tried to upsell me to a Ruger P-95 for $300.00. I had exactly $250.00 in cash in my pocket and that was it! I took it out laid it on the counter and said, "if you want me to buy the Ruger, this is what I have otherwise, I`ll take the High Point". I now own a Ruger P-95 that I am happy with, but I would have just as easily walked with the HP and a few extra rounds/mags. Bottom line is that either weapon has a waaaaay higher chance of saving my life than my previous home protection....a Louisville slugger and I am NOT kidding!

  7. #27
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    Here is a write up: Hi-Point Firearms

    It is a blow back pistol in large caliber so it needs a very heavy spring. The percieved recoil should be fairly significant.

    My problem is that there is ugly, then there is UGLY, and then there is too-ugly-to-f**k, and this falls into the last catagory.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    465
    If I needed a functional gun that i don't care whether it gets scratched or beat up looking, I would buy a Hi-point. Ugly, cheap looking, Yes. But a good gun for tackle box duty, survival kit or any other job where you wouldn't risk your (insert premium brand here). Once you get past the looks, I understand that they are accurate and reliable. They also reputedly have a great warranty and customer service. I've thought of getting one just for the heck of it. For the price, how bad can it be? You can always sell it on. People that own them seem surprisingly happy with them.

  9. #29
    Sniper6473's Avatar
    Sniper6473 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    25
    Most important thing when you buy any gun is to run between 300-500 target rounds and some of the hollowpoints that you will be carrying...

    If you do that and there are no problems, the weapon is reliable.. I do the same with my HK's

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    160
    I'm a very new gun owner, and when I was shopping about a month ago I asked about Hi-Point (because they're cheap) at a large local shop. They don't sell them, and they don't even allow people to bring them to their indoor range. They would turn away business just to avoid Hi-Point in any way. That was enough for me. That wasn't the only "off-brand" he mentioned they were weary about, but that one stuck in my mind as the worst.

  11. #31
    TheReaper's Avatar
    TheReaper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    335
    If Hi-Points were so good then we would all own one.

  12. #32
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
    If Hi-Points were so good then we would all own one.
    +1

    That's the truth. Example: "Everyone should have at least one Glock". You never hear, "Everyone should own at least one Hi-Point". I would rather spend the $150 on ammo or a good EDC rig for my Taurus.

  13. #33
    wiredgeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mico TX
    Posts
    9
    Interesting thread. Great to hear the opinions from so many folks who have no first hand info but have "heard things"... I personally won't comment on a handgun if I don't own the model OR haven't handled/shot the thing extensively. Opinions based on rumor and hearsay are absolutely useless.

  14. #34
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    I have to disagree whole heartedly.....the basic premise of your agruement seems sound, however to paint with as broad a brush as you are is as much hearsay and useless as you imply conversley. I have never touched or used a Chinesse Air Wrench. Nor will I. However one of my friends who does the same type of work I do and expects similar quality in the things he buys has purchased one of the more inexpensive brands. (The brand escapes me but if I called him he would tell me it). From his experiance and knowing his criteria, I would not ever have to hold ,touch or use one to know I would be able to say the brand he bought is inferior, and that I would never recomend it to anyone serious about using tools. It even had a warantee and man was it affordable. (although it fit the coupling and went vertttttttt vertttttt when you pressed the trigger)

    There are just too many other good quality tool that can be had, that I would not risk nor would I suggest anyone else risk buying one just because it cost next to nothing.............really why do you think that is? I can say with complete confidence and a high degree of authority do not buy that brand of air wrench even though I have never touched one in my life.

    I have touched Hi Points and I wished I hadn't. They have a good waranty and are dirt freakin cheap. That is not the critera I choose to use when I buy a weapon.

    RCG

  15. #35
    wiredgeorge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mico TX
    Posts
    9
    The logic of your argument escapes me... Junk air tool? The Hi-Point is a junk air tool in a pistol? Why? Because it is made in China? You have handled a Hi-Point? Why not describe the negative things you found when you cycled rounds through it. Did fail to feed? Fail to eject? Sensitive to certain ammo? Shot poor patterns? Nope, not many arguments of this sort. All the negative arguments, for the most part, have been my buddy this, or the guy at the range that... The original poster asked for FIRST hand experience with a Hi-Point. The main knock has been CHEAP. They are inexpensive but then so are Taurus, Bersa, Kel-Tec, etc. I have all of them bashed as "cheap"; "I would never trust my life". I think comments on a pistol site would be a whole lot more useful if folks would just stick to what they actually know; not what they think or have heard or somebody else told them. And the comment about the gun shop/range won't allow Hi-Points on-range? Geesh, bet you came out owning a Kimber. That is normally what they push as the profit margin would be just a tad higher I suspect. Another interesting point is that when the Kimber fails to fire, jams and won't eject NO ONE says a word otherwise they look like a spending ninny.

  16. #36
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    I was afraid my logic would escape you.........oh well.....your Kimber bashing with no specifics other then profit margin (which everyone knows is evil) is admirable; especially when compared to the lowlife Hi Point Bashing you say has no validity with out specifics except they are cheap.

    This was not meant to be an arguement and it will not become one. When ever anything breaks down to money it only causes resentment. Just look at Congress. Thank God they were intellegent enough to extend the tax breaks to all Americans.

    RCG

  17. #37
    Wheezer is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    I'm considering buying one also, I've done some research on them and realized people love to hate them. So I look on youtube and watched a series of some guys trying to blow one up. They threw it, beat it with a hammer, ran it over with a truck, ran everything through it including black powder, hammered a 3/8 bolt in the barrel and shot it out. In the end they had to hold the bolt in with a C clamp so it wouldn't budge and finally seceded, so needless to say you should be fine with the HP. Good luck.

  18. #38
    sgms is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    can be found in Arizona or Ohio most of the time
    Posts
    370
    For the money I'll go with a Makarov. It's not a 9x19 nato but a 9x18 soviet round ammo around and not stupid high priced.

  19. #39
    HK Dan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    254
    Have you seen the inside of those things? They look like they were machined by a blind chimp with palsy. I can't believe they function, which is a tribute to their loose tolerences. Yes, I have shot them, and no they most certainly are NOT what I would call "accurate". They will put rounds in the general area where you want them, but let's not make a Bullseye match gun out of these things.

    I was given a HP .380 the size of a 1911 and the weight of a similarly sized piece of depleted uranium. I duracoated it pink and we used it as a gag gift at our annual banquet, putting a UTG red dot on it and calling it "the next Open gun".

    The gun is a cheap slug thrower. If that's what you want, more power to ya. If on the other hand you intend to defend yourself and your loved ones in a serious way, get a serious gun.

    Dan

  20. #40
    group17 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Have you seen the inside of those things? They look like they were machined by a blind chimp with palsy. I can't believe they function, which is a tribute to their loose tolerences. Yes, I have shot them, and no they most certainly are NOT what I would call "accurate". They will put rounds in the general area where you want them, but let's not make a Bullseye match gun out of these things.

    I was given a HP .380 the size of a 1911 and the weight of a similarly sized piece of depleted uranium. I duracoated it pink and we used it as a gag gift at our annual banquet, putting a UTG red dot on it and calling it "the next Open gun".

    Dan
    The size of the 380 is the same as the 9mm not small. As far as the weight and size it's still less than a SIG P229.

    Genitron.com: Comparing 2 Guns|CF-380|P229|

    Must have been fun putting a red dot on it since it does not have a rail.

    "accurate" is the person shooting the gun with practice IMO.

    To each his own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

hi point 45 pistol review

,
hi point firearms forum
,

hi point forum

,
hi point guns quality
,
hi point handguns quality
,

hi point pistol quality

,
hi point quality
,
hi pointfirearms net
,
hi-point quality
,

hi-pointfirearms.net

,
highpoint firearm forums
,

www.hi-pointfirearms.net

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1