Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    austin88's Avatar
    austin88 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149

    Question long term storage

    I know you guys probably get this quite a bit but I'm leaving for the Air Force in a few months here and need a good way to store my guns. I plan on getting a fire proof safe before I go to put them in, but I want to put it either in the garage or basement and I'm worried about the humidity rusting my guns. Is there anything else i can do besides oiling them really good. I was thinking maybe putting then in a ziploc type of bag or something i can make air tight. I'm just looking for some good feeback from you guy's with years of experience.

  2. #2
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    I don't recommend garage storage as it will increase the possibility of moisture penetration due to temperature changes.

    What is the storage time line? 1 year 3 years?

    If 1 year then I would just thoroughly clean and oil them - put them in a gun sock - maybe even use desiccant or a dehumidifier in the case and call it good.

    If 3 year then I'd consider using a storage grease instead of oil.

    There are some new products for storage such as anti-corrosion storage bags Anti-Corrosion Gun Storage Bags

    Good luck in the Air Force and enjoy boot camp.

  3. #3
    austin88's Avatar
    austin88 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    I don't recommend garage storage as it will increase the possibility of moisture penetration due to temperature changes.

    What is the storage time line? 1 year 3 years?

    If 1 year then I would just thoroughly clean and oil them - put them in a gun sock - maybe even use desiccant or a dehumidifier in the case and call it good.

    If 3 year then I'd consider using a storage grease instead of oil.

    There are some new products for storage such as anti-corrosion storage bags Anti-Corrosion Gun Storage Bags

    Good luck in the Air Force and enjoy boot camp.
    thanks for the info i'm going to check it out. and boot camp will be a blast hahaha

  4. #4
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Good luck and thank you in advance for your service.


  5. #5
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Thumbs up

    Get some Museum Wax at Midway USA and give them a light coat. Put in soxs, and then your safe with plenty of desiccant packs or a dehumidifier. Garage and basements can be damp, and I would avoid them. Put it in your house.

    Thanks for serving....
    Last edited by Baldy; 05-29-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: SPELLING

  6. #6
    austin88's Avatar
    austin88 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149
    thanks for the info. and i really wish i would have done this right out of high school but i guess it doesn't matter i'm doing it now and can't wait. i finally feel like i'm doing something important with my life besides working a dead end job and taking one class a semester at my community college thats getting me no where any time soon. i'm going to check into the museum wax and the corrosion bags thanks for your help.

  7. #7
    Sully2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    214
    For handguns...I use a product called Clenzoil. (Clenzoil World Wide LLC). Vacuum pack them using a "Seal-A-Meal". Wipe them down inside and out with the oil and then pack them away.

    For long guns...of course I cant vacuum pack them....I just oil them down. I have trap guns ( dont shoot trap anymore) thats been sitting in the case since the late 80's. Not a spot of rust anywhere.

  8. #8
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    For long guns...of course I cant vacuum pack them....
    Why not? You can buy 11" wide vacuum sealer material on a roll with a length of 16' (Foodsaver brand). Just cut the roll to the length you need and heat seal the ends.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  9. #9
    austin88's Avatar
    austin88 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    For handguns...I use a product called Clenzoil. (Clenzoil World Wide LLC). Vacuum pack them using a "Seal-A-Meal". Wipe them down inside and out with the oil and then pack them away.

    For long guns...of course I cant vacuum pack them....I just oil them down. I have trap guns ( dont shoot trap anymore) thats been sitting in the case since the late 80's. Not a spot of rust anywhere.
    see now thats one thing that i did have in mind was maybe vacuum packing them. after oiling them up. thanks.

  10. #10
    Sully2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce333 View Post
    Why not? You can buy 11" wide vacuum sealer material on a roll with a length of 16' (Foodsaver brand). Just cut the roll to the length you need and heat seal the ends.
    Too much of a PITA is why.....

  11. #11
    austin88's Avatar
    austin88 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    Too much of a PITA is why.....
    hahahaha that was good

  12. #12
    tekarra is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    65
    When I put mine in storage, I cleaned them, oiled them up and put them in zip lock bags then rolled them up to expel all the air. After six years on the Gulf Coast, there was no sign of rust.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

anti corrosion long term gun storage
,
clenzoil any good? storage
,
clenzoil for long term storage
,
clenzoil on high end guns
,
glock storage for long term
,
kimber vs glock long term storage
,

long term handgun storage

,

long term storage

,
long term storage for glock pistols
,
long term storage of semi auto
,
long term storage of semi automatic pistol
,
longterm kimber handgun storage
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread