Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Frank45's Avatar
    Frank45 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
    There are people that would disagree with that comment!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Not as quickly anyhow - stainless is not rust proof - just rust resistant.
    I stand corrected stainless can and will rust,do to the amount of carbon steel included in it for heat treating purposes. So if you dont like cleaning brite stainless go with the blackened stainless guns. Then you wont see all the gunk.

  2. #22
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    "Stainless Steel" is a term that describes a group of many different metals (alloys of iron). Depending upon how much carbon, nickel, chromium, and other metals are "mixed" with iron, different grades of stainless steel are made. Some are very corrosion resistant, some not so much.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greene County Indiana
    Posts
    121
    My Smith 686 must be made of some pretty good stuff.

  4. #24
    jdeere9750 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Not as quickly anyhow - stainless is not rust proof - just rust resistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank45 View Post
    I stand corrected stainless can and will rust,do to the amount of carbon steel included in it for heat treating purposes. So if you dont like cleaning brite stainless go with the blackened stainless guns. Then you wont see all the gunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    "Stainless Steel" is a term that describes a group of many different metals (alloys of iron). Depending upon how much carbon, nickel, chromium, and other metals are "mixed" with iron, different grades of stainless steel are made. Some are very corrosion resistant, some not so much.
    So what does a person do if you were to begin seeing some rust? Is there anything that you can do at that point?

  5. #25
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    One of the advantages of a "stainless" steel gun is that you can simply buff it out without having to refinish it like a blued or otherwise coated gun. That won't stop it from corroding again though. I'd imagine that the same care you'd take with a blued gun would keep the stainless in good shape.

  6. #26
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    +1 MLB

    Or probably even less effort.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bessemer City NC
    Posts
    155
    I can show you a boat full of stainless that did rust! lol It is slower but it DOES rust, and it has nothing to do with heat treating like someone earlier suggested. I doubt anything on my boat is heat treated.

  8. #28
    VietVet68 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    I do... came complete with rust on the barrel. no extra charge.

    Its all good now, but my other 1911s have never seen rust, period !
    Don't you care enough to inspect before you buy?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    119
    I've got a Sig 232 stainless and I don't find it particularly hard to clean. I just like the way that it looks when it's all shined up.

  10. #30
    Viper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Posts
    75

    Stainless Pistols Suck!

    I've bought 9 handguns in the last year or so, and all but two were stainless - a SIG Pro, which I sold and my new M&P. I prefer cleaning stainless, because it's easier to see where you need to clean. Also I heard a psychologist say once, that if you're going to carry a gun, get a light coloured one, He claimed that the light colour made the gun look bigger and more intimidating.

  11. #31
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Also I heard a psychologist say once, that if you're going to carry a gun, get a light coloured one, He claimed that the light colour made the gun look bigger and more intimidating.
    That sounds like something a psychologist would say. He just naturally assumes that you are going to brandish, instead of going to work, because that's what he would do.

  12. #32
    VietVet68 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    170

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by tropicmaster View Post
    I can show you a boat full of stainless that did rust! lol It is slower but it DOES rust, and it has nothing to do with heat treating like someone earlier suggested. I doubt anything on my boat is heat treated.
    Salt water is one of the harshest environments around but if you own a boat you already know that.

  13. #33
    fudo's Avatar
    fudo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    51
    Instead of stainless, it should be called Stainsless.
    I find cleaning stainless guns easier than cleaning blued guns.

  14. #34
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    The term "stainless" always seemed odd to me too. I'm pretty sure most folks are looking for a "rustless" steel. I doubt anyone is worried about grass stains.

  15. #35
    crazy charlie's Avatar
    crazy charlie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    60
    I don't find stainless any worse that blued. The trick is to clean them at the range or ASAP. The lube on the pistol has a lot to do with it. A teflon based lube IMHO works best. To each his own.

  16. #36
    Viper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    That sounds like something a psychologist would say. He just naturally assumes that you are going to brandish, instead of going to work, because that's what he would do.
    Well, this particular psychologist has been carrying ever since it was legal in GA, and has been a competition shooter for 40 years. I don't think he assumes anything.

  17. #37
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Well, this particular psychologist has been carrying ever since it was legal in GA, and has been a competition shooter for 40 years. I don't think he assumes anything.
    Psychologists are a different breed, and sometimes they think too hard about some things. In this situation, I disagree strongly with his point of view. IMO, a gun for self defense should be discreet and efficient. You should never PLAN to show someone your gun for intimidation. The statement about the gun looking bigger and more intimidating makes it sound like you are looking for trouble. (brandishing is illegal in most places). In fact, for people who conceal carry, a stainless might have some disadvantages. A black or blued gun doesn't stand out as much, but stainless sure does. if you bend the wrong way to pick something up and your shirt comes up just enough....just saying.

    I have no problems with Stainless guns, they look great and as stated several times before, they have many advantages over other finishes. I just don't agree with that mindset.

  18. #38
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Well, this particular psychologist has been carrying ever since it was legal in GA, and has been a competition shooter for 40 years. I don't think he assumes anything.
    Well, it isn't worth having a fuss about, I guess.

    It just sounded like one of those wishy-washy plans to draw out the gun and scare the BG off. If so, that's maybe not the best approach to carrying a lethal weapon for self-defense.

  19. #39
    XD GLOCKer is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    The stainless guns I owned in the past were only "easier" to clean if only a few rounds were fired from them. Shoot 700-1000 rounds in a day and see how easy it is then to get that stainless bright again.

    I have also carried so called "stainless" guns in the past. They do and will rust if it sees more time on your person than in a safe. I also noticed that when a stainless gun rusts, it gets a permanent purpleish black STAIN where it rusts all the time from actual use during carry in the spots that WILL rust.

    A good ole carbon steel with a nice parkerized finish will hold a good oil for a long time keeping rust off that finish longer than a smooth stainless gun will with the same oil.

    I only speak of experience so please forgive my ignorance why and how stainless is supposed to be more rust resistant and less prone to stains. I will never own one again. Too much to maintain on a gun with no finish. A GLOCK or XD and the M&P will be truely stainless because of the metal treatments used on them.

    Maybe I would own one in a hunting revolver or a safe queen, but for a working gun stainless means MORE maintenance and more rust and stains if you plan on actualy using the darn thing lol.....

  20. #40
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by XD GLOCKer View Post
    The stainless guns I owned in the past were only "easier" to clean if only a few rounds were fired from them. Shoot 700-1000 rounds in a day and see how easy it is then to get that stainless bright again.
    The ammunition doesn't know if it's been fired from a blued or stainless gun of course, so the residue is the same. I think you can just see it better on a stainless gun. With a blued finish, you likely can't see all of it to clean it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bright guns suck

,
cleaning my stainless pistol
,
guns advantages stainless
,
how to care for parkerized finish
,
kimber barrel rust
,
kimber barrel rust problems
,
kimber pistols suck
,
problems with stainless steel gun
,
stainless looking teflon for pistols
,

stainless pistols

,
stainless pistols opinion
,
stainless steel revolvers suck
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1