Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58

    Cycling problem...

    My new M&P .40 seems to have a cycling problem. I bought the gun new on Monday morning. I've put 75 rounds through it, and 7 times it jammed up on me. It's hanging up on the loading ramp. With just the slightest pull of the slide, the round lifts up into place.
    Is this something that I should contact S&W about, or the store I purchased it from ? I know this isn't good and needs to be addressed.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    Did you clean and lube it after you bought it? That can play a role sometimes. What type of ammo?

    More than likely, you need to keep shooting it Brydawg. Fill a mag, insert, slingshot, shoot till empty, repeat.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

  4. #3
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by dosborn View Post
    Did you clean and lube it after you bought it? That can play a role sometimes. What type of ammo?

    More than likely, you need to keep shooting it Brydawg. Fill a mag, insert, slingshot, shoot till empty, repeat.

    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Yes, I brought it home, read the owners manual, field stripped it, cleaned it with Break Free, oiled it, re-assembled it, and shot it.
    I'm shooting Magtech .40 S&W (180 gr.) FMC to practice with.

    Slingshot ???

  5. #4
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Did it jam while firing or were you letting the slide close by hand?

  6. #5
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Did it jam while firing or were you letting the slide close by hand?
    It jammed while firing 7 times. I took it and 2 full mag's (30 rounds) and worked the slide manually, loading the chamber, then pulling the slide back to eject the round, letting the slide slam back as if being fired. Result = 2 jams out of 30 rounds cycled.

  7. #6
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    FTF sounds like the magazine (no clips) or the recoil spring.

    First try taking the magazines apart and clean them out. Yes they too have shipping grease on them.

    Slingshot ???
    Pulling the slide back and releasing it to chamber a round.

  8. #7
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Salty,
    I took the mag's apart and cleaned them along with the gun when I brought it home.
    I called the store that I purchased the gun from and told them about the issues I was having. They told me to bring the gun back in on Monday morning and the issue would be resolved by giving me a different gun, or sending this one back to S&W for inspection/repair.
    I don't want it repaired. I want a new gun. I suspect that if it had problems straight out of the box, it'll always have problems.
    I've read at least 50 articles and testimonials where ppl said they;ve fired hundreds and thousands of rounds through their M&P's without incident, and flawless cycling.
    GRRR....

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Brydawg View Post
    Salty,
    I took the mag's apart and cleaned them along with the gun when I brought it home.
    I called the store that I purchased the gun from and told them about the issues I was having. They told me to bring the gun back in on Monday morning and the issue would be resolved by giving me a different gun,
    I'd take them up on that offer pronto! That M&P should work flawlessly out of the box (aside from needing a few hundred rounds to smooth out the gritty trigger.) Mine did.

  10. #9
    cougartex's Avatar
    cougartex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jefferson County, TX
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
    I'd take them up on that offer pronto! That M&P should work flawlessly out of the box (aside from needing a few hundred rounds to smooth out the gritty trigger.) Mine did.
    I agree.

  11. #10
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
    I'd take them up on that offer pronto! That M&P should work flawlessly out of the box (aside from needing a few hundred rounds to smooth out the gritty trigger.) Mine did.
    +1 sounds like a good shop trying to work with ya on this. Like you said I'd insist on a new one.

    Maybe your M&P was built on a Friday

  12. #11
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    +1 sounds like a good shop trying to work with ya on this. Like you said I'd insist on a new one.

    Maybe your M&P was built on a Friday
    Jay's Sporting Goods is a Awesome store. If they don't have it, they'll get it for you. ASAP.
    It's 5:17 a.m. right now. I'll be on their doorstep at 9:00 a.m.
    They say : "If life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade" I guess I'm just not that thirsty.

    ...or a Monday. I've always hated Mondays....

  13. #12
    Hiram25 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    101
    Brydawg, let us know how the new one works.

  14. #13
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Yip Yooo...
    I took the gun back to Jay's and told Dave (the manager) what was happening with it. I put 6 snap caps in it, pulled the slide back and put one in the pipe, pulled it back ejecting the 1st snap cap and I'll be danged if it didn't jam on the very 1st try. I handed him the gun and the same thing happened to him on his second attempt. He looked up at me and asked if I'd like a different gun. I told him thats what I was hoping for and he quickly said "You got it man", let me get you one out of the back.
    4 1/2 years as manager and he said he's (that he can remember) never taken an M&P back and wrote "DEFECTIVE" on the receipt.
    After 30 minutes of doin' paperwork, I was outta there and on my way to send some lead down range.
    I shot a box of 50 without incident. What a nice lil' shooter.

    Thanks,, to all you guys for your input on that gun. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did. I couldn't be happier...

  15. #14
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Brydawg View Post
    4 1/2 years as manager and he said he's (that he can remember) never taken an M&P back and wrote "DEFECTIVE" on the receipt.
    I would imagine it to be rare too. I do not own one, but have heard nothing but good about them until now, that I can remember. Everybody makes a bad one every now an then, glad you didn't hold it against S&W.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brydawg View Post
    After 30 minutes of doin' paperwork,
    Now that is unacceptable.

  16. #15
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    S&W didn't get the reputation they have by producing junk. I'll always like S&W. Like you said,,, Everybody makes a bad one every now an then. Thats just life.
    This new M&P has a Magazine Disconnect that disables the gun when the mag has been removed. Even if theres one in the pipe, the gun won't fire until you re-insert the mag. I'm not so sure I like that, but I'm sure I'll adjust.
    The trigger is about 50% smoother too. Very little grit in the pull. It should work it's way smooth in no time. Ya' gotta like that...

  17. #16
    Freedom's Avatar
    Freedom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    Brydawg...Jay's in Clare or Gaylord? Nothing like rolling through Jay's on November 14 the day before Opening Day...what a great way to kick-off rifle season. It's cool to hear Dave took care of you that way...Jay's never disappoints their customer...never.

  18. #17
    Brydawg's Avatar
    Brydawg is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Brydawg...Jay's in Clare or Gaylord? Nothing like rolling through Jay's on November 14 the day before Opening Day...what a great way to kick-off rifle season. It's cool to hear Dave took care of you that way...Jay's never disappoints their customer...never.
    That would be the one in Clare. That place just plain ROCKS.
    All of the Pro Staffers are great there. I've been giving them my money for almost 7 years now and have never been disappointed in their Customer Service.
    I ordered an E-collar from their a couple weeks ago and they called me the next day and told me it was in. If I'd known it would be that fast, I'd have stayed there. They've got millions of things there to fondle and look at.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •