Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    omegajb's Avatar
    omegajb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairfax VA
    Posts
    64

    How are most of you separating your magazines for different guns?

    I just bought my second hand gun and am trying to find an easy way to quickly distinguish which magazines go to which gun.
    I was thinking about a little paint in the bottom of one but thought it might look cheesy. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    James NM's Avatar
    James NM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,091

  3. #3
    gunluver is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    211
    LOL, no offense at all is intended.....but I (at this point) only own one gun of any particular make, so I just know what magazines go with what gun. I guess I might feel differently if I ever get to the point that I own 3 springfield XD's or something.

  4. #4
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    I number my mags with fingernail polish.

    M&P45 = White
    M&P9 = Red
    etc.

    edit: I mark the side not the base.

    You can also write the gun name on them.
    I believe laquer loaded pens are available from auto body paint stores and or hobby shops.

    If you decide you no longer want them marked a little laquer thinner removes it in seconds.


  5. #5
    omegajb's Avatar
    omegajb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairfax VA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I number my mags with fingernail polish.

    M&P45 = White
    M&P9 = Red
    etc.

    edit: I mark the side not the base.

    You can also write the gun name on them.
    I believe laquer loaded pens are available from auto body paint stores and or hobby shops.

    If you decide you no longer want them marked a little laquer thinner removes it in seconds.


    I like that idea, at the range it won't be a problem but I have the guns in a safe and in the event I needed one for personal defense knowing which mag goes to which gun quickly would be helpful.

  6. #6
    tony pasley's Avatar
    tony pasley is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    clyde n.c.
    Posts
    2,167
    I have containers for different weapons, For HD,SD all the handguns use the same mags so it is not a problem.

  7. #7
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    I keep the mags with the guns. You should have one loaded and ready for a defense situation, especially since it is in a safe. TOF has a good suggestion too.

  8. #8
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    I store two different handguns and loaded spare magazines for each in a safe, I just keep them in separate locations and I'm consistently meticulous about it.

  9. #9
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I number my mags with fingernail polish.
    Is this one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations?
    Sorry, it's early and I couldn't resist.

  10. #10
    WinM70's Avatar
    WinM70 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    56
    I don't see how a gun locked in a safe would be of much help for personal defence.
    Asking the bad guy to wait a minute so you can get your gun from the safe doesn't sound like it would work to me.

  11. #11
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by WinM70 View Post
    I don't see how a gun locked in a safe would be of much help for personal defence.
    Asking the bad guy to wait a minute so you can get your gun from the safe doesn't sound like it would work to me.
    It depends on the what type of "safe" you have the pistol in. A 500lb combination lock or a pistol safe with a four digit code or fingerprint.

    I like a couple of handguns ready as long as they are in some type of safe or on my person.

    Sorry, didn't mean to treadjack or get off subject. My bad.
    Last edited by dosborn; 10-11-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: treadjack - sorry

  12. #12
    omegajb's Avatar
    omegajb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairfax VA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by WinM70 View Post
    I don't see how a gun locked in a safe would be of much help for personal defence.
    Asking the bad guy to wait a minute so you can get your gun from the safe doesn't sound like it would work to me.

    With kids I can't leave it in the night stand, I use a gun safe that has the 4 finger buttons, I can get in to it in about 10 seconds. With my dog as the first line of defense I should have a few seconds to grab the gun.

  13. #13
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    With kids I can't leave it in the night stand, I use a gun safe that has the 4 finger buttons, I can get in to it in about 10 seconds. With my dog as the first line of defense I should have a few seconds to grab the gun.

    That is my exact thinking. A 7 yr old boy, 12 yr old girl and a dobie.

    Sorry, didn't mean to treadjack or get off subject. My bad.
    Last edited by dosborn; 10-11-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: threadjacking - sorry

  14. #14
    jc27310's Avatar
    jc27310 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    168
    oh, you meant the dog! (one less "o")

    the paint sounds good to me, but I would think, just stacking in an organized manner would work for me. I keep my tools in a particular order, why not magazines too?

  15. #15
    Sonny Boy's Avatar
    Sonny Boy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    87

    Try This

    Buy the trays at local hardware store and use a lable maker.



  16. #16
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Is this one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations?
    Sorry, it's early and I couldn't resist.
    Dang, there you go again Todd. Can't a guy wear toenail polish to match his gun markings without you guy's picking on him??




  17. #17
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Dang, there you go again Todd. Can't a guy wear toenail polish to match his gun markings without you guy's picking on him??
    Well, if you're going Hot Red or Hot Pink, OK. But I have to draw the line if you're going Goth Black or anything with glitter.

  18. #18
    omegajb's Avatar
    omegajb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairfax VA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Well, if you're going Hot Red or Hot Pink, OK. But I have to draw the line if you're going Goth Black or anything with glitter.
    Great now I need to re-paint.

  19. #19
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    Well, if you're going Hot Red or Hot Pink, OK. But I have to draw the line if you're going Goth Black or anything with glitter.
    Great now I need to re-paint.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  20. #20
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    -Skinny magazines go in the 1911
    -Mags with HK logo go in USP
    -Glock mags go in the Glock
    -Mags with Walther logo go in P99

    The only reason I mark mags are for potential destruction after further testing. If they start to fail, they get painted, tested later, discarded if they continue to fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

do you separate your mags for each pistol

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1