Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Accessories

  1. #1
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453

    Accessories

    I recently narrowed down the search for my first pistol and you all have been a lot of help answering questions and concerns that I might have. So first of all, thank you for that I have one more question that you all may be able to help me out with. I will certainly be getting a few extra magazines and possibly some accessories, (ie mag loader, if I go with the Px4). Where is the preferred place to get the extra magazines and/or accessories? Should you get them directly from the manufacturer? Or is there a few other vendors that are better for price? Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    scottaschultz Guest
    You certainly can't go wrong with OEM accessories purchased from the manufacturer, but this is also the most expensive route to take. As far as accessories, places like CDNN Sports, Sportsmans Guide and Midway USA are very popular. Of course, the major sporting goods companies like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Dicks Sporting Goods (to name a few) can be good places to check out, but they will, in most cases, NOT be the cheapest, but probably a little better than buying from the manufacturer.

    I am sure you will get many many more responses.

    You will probably also want to check out some local gun dealers, especially if, I mean WHEN you plan on buying more guns. Also, if you buy guns online, they will have to be shipped to a dealer with an FFL (Federal Firearms License) so it pays to become friendly with the smaller shops in your area.

    Scott

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkwood MO
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by falchunt View Post
    I recently narrowed down the search for my first pistol and you all have been a lot of help answering questions and concerns that I might have. So first of all, thank you for that I have one more question that you all may be able to help me out with. I will certainly be getting a few extra magazines and possibly some accessories, (ie mag loader, if I go with the Px4). Where is the preferred place to get the extra magazines and/or accessories? Should you get them directly from the manufacturer? Or is there a few other vendors that are better for price? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    In almost every case, get the ones made by the handgun manufacturer.

    The only exception I can think of are the Mecgar mags for Sig Sauer firearms. My understanding is Sig contracts their "factory" mags to be manufactured by Mecgar anyhow, so they're essentially the same.

    I don't own anything from Beretta (either 92/96 or Px4) but I would not be surprised if they also get their "factory" mags from Mecgar, too. It's worth researching IMO

  5. #4
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by scottaschultz View Post
    You certainly can't go wrong with OEM accessories purchased from the manufacturer, but this is also the most expensive route to take. As far as accessories, places like CDNN Sports, Sportsmans Guide and Midway USA are very popular. Of course, the major sporting goods companies like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Dicks Sporting Goods (to name a few) can be good places to check out, but they will, in most cases, NOT be the cheapest, but probably a little better than buying from the manufacturer.

    I am sure you will get many many more responses.

    You will probably also want to check out some local gun dealers, especially if, I mean WHEN you plan on buying more guns. Also, if you buy guns online, they will have to be shipped to a dealer with an FFL (Federal Firearms License) so it pays to become friendly with the smaller shops in your area.

    Scott
    Yes indeed WHEN is certainly the correct term there I appreciate the info! I had thought about Sportsmans guide because I have found that they do have what I need. I just wasn't sure if they were a "reliable" way to go, as far as product performance. I would rather weed out the chance of wasting any money, if you know what I mean...

  6. #5
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by literaltrance View Post
    In almost every case, get the ones made by the handgun manufacturer.

    The only exception I can think of are the Mecgar mags for Sig Sauer firearms. My understanding is Sig contracts their "factory" mags to be manufactured by Mecgar anyhow, so they're essentially the same.

    I don't own anything from Beretta (either 92/96 or Px4) but I would not be surprised if they also get their "factory" mags from Mecgar, too. It's worth researching IMO
    So in your experience you would not reccomend buying any magazines for a handgun not made by the manufacturer? I do have experience with bad (cheap) magazines, specifically with my .223, which is really why i posted this thread.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkwood MO
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by falchunt View Post
    So in your experience you would not reccomend buying any magazines for a handgun not made by the manufacturer? I do have experience with bad (cheap) magazines, specifically with my .223, which is really why i posted this thread.
    Correct.

    I've made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks by purchasing some Promags. Let me be clear, THEY SUUUUUCK! I won't touch aftermarket mags again.

    Think of it this way. If the handgun is ever going to serve as a defensive tool (i.e. it may save your life), shouldn't you be using everything designed and tested with it?

    [Edit]: Again, I think the Mecgar mags are an exception for a few handgun manufacturers. When you buy a Sig, the mags which come with it are stamped with "Sig Sauer" but they are made by Mecgar. I don't know if getting mags from Mecgar directly are stamped with Sig Sauer, Mecgar, or whatever, but in the end it's the same mag. Mecgar's website also says they supply factory direct mags for Beretta, too, so Mecgar might be an option for additional PX4 mags; I'd look into this if I were you.

  8. #7
    jdeere9750 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    422
    I asked a similar question on here (New Magazines), about a different gun but I think the same basics might apply. Seems like everyone suggets avoiding ProMags, because of jamming/feeding problems. Most had a favorable opinion of MecGar. I think I'll stick with OEM or MecGar. Hope that helps.

  9. #8
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeere9750 View Post
    I asked a similar question on here (New Magazines), about a different gun but I think the same basics might apply. Seems like everyone suggets avoiding ProMags, because of jamming/feeding problems. Most had a favorable opinion of MecGar. I think I'll stick with OEM or MecGar. Hope that helps.
    Perfect reply, and thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for. I will do a little more research also and see if MecGar makes factory issue Beretta, and if so, I will certainly buy a few extras when I get my piece.

  10. #9
    Steve2112 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pearl, MS
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by literaltrance View Post
    Correct.

    I've made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks by purchasing some Promags. Let me be clear, THEY SUUUUUCK! I won't touch aftermarket mags again.

    Think of it this way. If the handgun is ever going to serve as a defensive tool (i.e. it may save your life), shouldn't you be using everything designed and tested with it?

    [Edit]: Again, I think the Mecgar mags are an exception for a few handgun manufacturers. When you buy a Sig, the mags which come with it are stamped with "Sig Sauer" but they are made by Mecgar. I don't know if getting mags from Mecgar directly are stamped with Sig Sauer, Mecgar, or whatever, but in the end it's the same mag. Mecgar's website also says they supply factory direct mags for Beretta, too, so Mecgar might be an option for additional PX4 mags; I'd look into this if I were you.
    I made this mistake as well. I bought a Promag for my Taurus, and it wouldn't even seat properly. After close examination, there are a couple of slight differences between it and my factory mags. Of course, since I bought it a a gun show, in cash, there isn't much I can do about a refund. Call it stupid tax. I have a couple of Mecgar mags for my Beretta, and they have worked perfectly.

  11. #10
    jdeere9750 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by falchunt View Post
    Perfect reply, and thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for. I will do a little more research also and see if MecGar makes factory issue Beretta, and if so, I will certainly buy a few extras when I get my piece.
    Glad I could help. I'm still on the hunt so if I stumble across some Beretta, I'll let you know. I don't know if you followed the link to DK mags, but it looks like they have several for Beretta. FYI. https://www.dkmags.com/page4.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve2112 View Post
    I made this mistake as well. I bought a Promag for my Taurus, and it wouldn't even seat properly. After close examination, there are a couple of slight differences between it and my factory mags. Of course, since I bought it a a gun show, in cash, there isn't much I can do about a refund. Call it stupid tax. I have a couple of Mecgar mags for my Beretta, and they have worked perfectly.
    Stupid tax - Awesome terminology. I've never heard that before, but I have paid more than my share of it. At least I know what to call it know.

  12. #11
    Steve2112 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pearl, MS
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeere9750 View Post
    Glad I could help. I'm still on the hunt so if I stumble across some Beretta, I'll let you know. I don't know if you followed the link to DK mags, but it looks like they have several for Beretta. FYI. https://www.dkmags.com/page4.html



    Stupid tax - Awesome terminology. I've never heard that before, but I have paid more than my share of it. At least I know what to call it know.
    I have to admit I shamelessly stole it from Dave Ramsey. I love the term, though, since it is fitting.

  13. #12
    falchunt's Avatar
    falchunt is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeere9750 View Post
    Glad I could help. I'm still on the hunt so if I stumble across some Beretta, I'll let you know. I don't know if you followed the link to DK mags, but it looks like they have several for Beretta. FYI. https://www.dkmags.com/page4.html



    Stupid tax - Awesome terminology. I've never heard that before, but I have paid more than my share of it. At least I know what to call it know.
    Yes i did check out DK and I think thats the way I will go. I have my mind made up on the PX4 and I know where to get extra mags, now I just have to wait until I have enough funding....

  14. #13
    oldtrojan66 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    east central rural indiana
    Posts
    30
    Sorry, haven't had time to read all the replies, but I own a PX4 and am about ready to trade it for something a little more "available". I love to shoot the gun (9mm), but its fat and really hard to find accessories for like at gun shows, etc. just my .02

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •