Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873

    And the Showdown Begins....

    Well as some of you know I've been wanting to get a G36 (after having shot one) to do a little side-by-side with my XD9SC before my CHP arrives. I sold my XD9 Service today, and within 2 1/2 hours had purchased a G36 (found a good deal locally). Anyways, I'm excited to get out to the range with the new G36! I already field stripped it and cleaned it up. I'm going to make a run to Walmart, purchase some ammo, and off to the range I go! (after having a heartattack because I'm used to 9mm ammo prices ). I'm not going to do a side-by-side today, I'm only going to shoot the G36 (I want to get in atleast one range session for trigger time on the G36 before doing my comparison tests). So, I just wanted to share, and I will update when I return from the range!

    -Jeff-




  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Dsig1's Avatar
    Dsig1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    687
    Very nice. I envy your complete lack of will power

  4. #3
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Congrats!

  5. #4
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    XD traitor!

  6. #5
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Welcome to the Dark Side.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  7. #6
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Nice aquisition. Enjoy it.

  8. #7
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    congratulations.
    Next you must purchase an M&P then you will be well rounded.

    Enjoy

  9. #8
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsig1 View Post
    Very nice. I envy your complete lack of will power
    What is this "will power" you speak of?

    Quote Originally Posted by unpecador
    Congrats!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    XD traitor!
    I was wondering if it would be you or JeffWard that was going to have the honors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham
    Welcome to the Dark Side.
    What is this "Dark Side" that you speak of?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOF
    congratulations.
    Next you must purchase an M&P then you will be well rounded.
    Thanks! I know, if I got an M&P, I'd have the whole trio! I'm going to have to keep these two away from each other, they might pick fights with one another.

    -Jeff-
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 10-27-2008 at 04:35 PM.

  10. #9
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I'm going to have two keep these two away from each other, they might pick fights with one another.
    The Glock would win.

    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  11. #10
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Well, the range trip was interesting to say the least. First impression - I like it! You can definitely tell you're shooting 45's out of this little cannon, but the recoil is by no means overwhelming...it's actually very controllable. It just blows my mind that I can pick up a gun (the G36) that I have basically no trigger time with, and out-shoot a firearm that I have many rounds through and lots of dry-fire time with (the XD9SC). I did have the XD with me, so after shooting the G36, I took out the XD to put 15 loose rounds through it that I had in my bag. After shooting the Glock, the trigger on the XD was disappointing to say the least. This is especially true for the reset in the trigger which felt like it was a mile long on the XD after shooting the Glock. Anyways, I put 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through the G36 without any issues (as expected) and it was definitely an experience. This showdown is going to take a while, and I want to do some good side-by-side comparisons at my next range visits. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

    -Jeff-

    My third magazine (6rds) through the G36 at 25 feet.


  12. #11
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Well, the range trip was interesting to say the least. First impression - I like it! You can definitely tell you're shooting 45's out of this little cannon, but the recoil is by no means overwhelming...it's actually very controllable. It just blows my mind that I can pick up a gun (the G36) that I have basically no trigger time with, and out-shoot a firearm that I have many rounds through and lots of dry-fire time with (the XD9SC). I did have the XD with me, so after shooting the G36, I took out the XD to put 15 loose rounds through it that I had in my bag. After shooting the Glock, the trigger on the XD was disappointing to say the least. This is especially true for the reset in the trigger which felt like it was a mile long on the XD after shooting the Glock. Anyways, I put 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through the G36 without any issues (as expected) and it was definitely an experience. This showdown is going to take a while, and I want to do some good side-by-side comparisons at my next range visits. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

    -Jeff-

    That's how I felt when I got my first 1911. All I could say was "wow...this thing shoots well".

    Glad you like it. I love my Glocks, but I don't venture into the .40 and .45 variants. Just a G17 and G19 which I feel are the best of the lineup anyhow.

  13. #12
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    My third magazine (6rds) through the G36 at 25 feet.

    Looks like you have it under control.

  14. #13
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    That's how I felt when I got my first 1911. All I could say was "wow...this thing shoots well".

    Glad you like it. I love my Glocks, but I don't venture into the .40 and .45 variants. Just a G17 and G19 which I feel are the best of the lineup anyhow.
    That's the funniest part of all of this. Generally the XD's feel better to me than the Glocks (17,19,23,etc). This G36, being that it's single-stack (and I have small hands) trumps both. It has a very "natural" feeling in my hands (if that makes sense).

    Quote Originally Posted by TOF
    Looks like you have it under control.
    It still blows my mind that I could pickup an "unfamiliar" weapon and group my shots better than the weapon that I have trained with and have a lot of trigger time with. This showdown is going to get interesting.

    -Jeff-

  15. #14
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Have you ever tried an M&P with the small grip insert?

  16. #15
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Have you ever tried an M&P with the small grip insert?
    I believe so. At two separate gun shops (in Iowa), I was told that all M&Ps displayed had the small grip insert "installed." It's been a while since I've held one, but at the time the XDs definitely felt better. Then again, I didn't have all of the inserts in front of me to verify which inserts were "installed." Maybe I'll have to give it another try next time I'm at the shop. For now, I'm loving the feel of this G36. Follow-up shots were extremely fast as well...

    -Jeff-

  17. #16
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    I chose the XD9SC, over the XD45C, based on follow-up speed.

    PS... I fully support your feelings on the Glock Reset... now that I've shot the new M&P Pro with it's micro-short reset (and a Glock 34). The new FACTORY M&P (much better than the first M&Ps I shot a few years ago by the way...) trigger is almost as good as my $200 custom-shop XD trigger. With 1000 through it, I'm sure it would be just as sweet.

    With its very low bore axis, interchangable grips (for small hands), and super-short reset... I'd HATE to see MIKE shoot one... He may become a new M&P owner...

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

    Jeff

  18. #17
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    I'd HATE to see MIKE shoot one... He may become a new M&P owner...
    I've shot one and handled a few, but never tried the Pro. I'm actually not crazy about the way the M&P sits in my hand, but that may be simply because I am habituated to the Glock. I'm also pretty well invested in the Glock, in terms of mags and holsters and such. I'm not currently enough of a gun enthusiast to make a change, especially in light of whatever forthcoming gun/magazine restrictions emanate from the Obama Administration.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  19. #18
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I've shot one and handled a few, but never tried the Pro. I'm actually not crazy about the way the M&P sits in my hand, but that may be simply because I am habituated to the Glock. I'm also pretty well invested in the Glock, in terms of mags and holsters and such. I'm not currently enough of a gun enthusiast to make a change, especially in light of whatever forthcoming gun/magazine restrictions emanate from the Obama Administration.
    Good enough reason to go GLOCK alone... There will be a long supply of Glock parts around even if all semiautos are grandfathered and outlawed... After all, a revolver is MUCH less deadly than an "assult style" 17-round automatic...

    This is the direction we may be headed people...

  20. #19
    BigMatt's Avatar
    BigMatt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    White Hall Ar.
    Posts
    137
    makes me want a 36 even more!

  21. #20
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    I chose the XD9SC, over the XD45C, based on follow-up speed.
    Yea, believe it or not I was thinking of you as I was contemplating this showdown because I read all about your decision. Although I don't have a timer or anything, my follow-up shots with the G36 certainly didn't feel any slower and were not scattered any more than rapid fire with my XDSC.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard
    PS... I fully support your feelings on the Glock Reset... now that I've shot the new M&P Pro with it's micro-short reset (and a Glock 34). The new FACTORY M&P (much better than the first M&Ps I shot a few years ago by the way...) trigger is almost as good as my $200 custom-shop XD trigger. With 1000 through it, I'm sure it would be just as sweet.
    It was actually rather disappointing shooting the XD after the Glock. The Glock trigger is much better, IMO. I think this is part of the reason my follow-up shots don't seem any slower....

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard
    With its very low bore axis, interchangable grips (for small hands), and super-short reset... I'd HATE to see MIKE shoot one... He may become a new M&P owner...
    I'll have to get my hands on one of these again, and make sure it has the small backstrap in place. You never know, I just might end up with the whole trio. Talk about the ultimate showdown!


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham
    ...whatever forthcoming gun/magazine restrictions emanate from the Obama Administration.
    Yes, this could suck. Although, my Cougar is my only firearm now that has a magazine capacity of over 10. No worries with the 6+1 G36.

    -Jeff-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

michael barham chp

,
mike barham chp
Click on a term to search for related topics.