Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    cquence's Avatar
    cquence is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    30

    Magazine question.

    Lets say if I was to leave my gun at home for protection and I leave the magazine loaded with ammo, will it damage the spring in the magazine? Lets say I dont shoot the gun for about 6 months or so. Will the spring lose its tension?

  2. #2
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    No and no.

    The conventional wisdom around here is that it is the repeated cycling (compression and decompression) of the spring from use that will eventually wear the spring. Prolonged storage of a full mag should not harm the spring nor affect the function of the magazine or firearm. This makes sense if you think about the shock on a car. They really only eventually wear from use.

    I have had full mags (Beretta 92FS) sit for much longer than six months with no ill effects. When brought to the range both magazine and gun perform flawlessly.

    Even with use your magazines will last a long time. And if they do begin to wear the fix is as easy as installing new springs.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wyatt; 10-18-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    cquence's Avatar
    cquence is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    No and no.

    The conventional wisdom around here is that it is the repeated cycling (compression and decompression) of the spring from use that will eventually wear the spring. Prolonged storage of a full mag should not harm the spring nor affect the function of the magazine or firearm. This makes sense if you think about the shock on a car. They really only eventually wear from use.

    I have had full mags (Beretta 92FS) sit for much longer than six months with no ill affects. When brought to the range both magazine and gun perform flawlessly.

    Even with use your magazines will last a long time. And if they do begin to wear the fix is as easy as installing new springs.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Wyatt...just wanted to make sure. I always want whats best for my Sig!

  4. #4
    Growler67's Avatar
    Growler67 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    S. Puget Sound, WA
    Posts
    715
    I keep my SD/HD mags loaded all the time and have had no ill effects as stated above. They'll be fine.

  5. #5
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    No and no.

    The conventional wisdom around here is that it is the repeated cycling (compression and decompression) of the spring from use that will eventually wear the spring. Prolonged storage of a full mag should not harm the spring nor affect the function of the magazine or firearm.



    -Jeff-

  6. #6
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,740
    It will not weaken them to leave them loaded.

  7. #7
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler67 View Post
    I keep my SD/HD mags loaded all the time and have had no ill effects as stated above. They'll be fine.
    Same here, my range mags get the wear and tear.

  8. #8
    Growler67's Avatar
    Growler67 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    S. Puget Sound, WA
    Posts
    715
    All of mine get used, they just get loaded and stay on stand-by when not at the range.

  9. #9
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler67 View Post
    All of mine get used, they just get loaded and stay on stand-by when not at the range.
    Same here, all of mine have been used but my SD ammo does not get cycled nowhere near as much as my practice ammo.

  10. #10
    cquence's Avatar
    cquence is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    30
    Thanks guys. Now I dont have to worry about my Sig.

  11. #11
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by cquence View Post
    Thanks guys. Now I dont have to worry about my Sig.
    Glad I went to the last post on this one before I posted a hasty reply! SIG. Nice. I was going to hint at magazine/manufacturer quality and possible issues with leaving loaded mags for extended periods. This still applies, but not in your case. In general, magazine spring fatigue is a thing of the past, but not necessarily a fallacy. Quality manufacturing and materials still plays a vital role. Working (or loading/unloading) your magazine springs is actually harder on them than leaving them fully compressed. Shortening the amount of rounds kept in the magazines by one or two really wouldn't make a difference either. I still rotate my carry and stored (loaded) magazines several times in a year. Emptying them also gives me chance to inspect the condition of the ammo.

  12. #12
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I still rotate my carry and stored (loaded) magazines several times in a year. Emptying them also gives me chance to inspect the condition of the ammo.
    I like to rotate mags too. When I go to the range, the magazine that has been sitting empty in my bag gets put into service at the range and then gets loaded and put into my gun for HD until the next range visit, when I rotate another mag in and repeat the cycle. Since I finish my range work with a mag of HD JHP's I have the peace of mind knowing that the mag in my gun defending me is one that has just functioned flawlessly at my most recent range trip.

  13. #13
    JustRick's Avatar
    JustRick is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    192
    I have to confess that when I saw this thread title I was thinking, "I've always liked The Economist, but lately I've been reading more Car and Driver because I'm tired of being depressed."

  14. #14
    JeffsSig's Avatar
    JeffsSig is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    30
    Just keep the spring well oiled. 6 months or longer is a long time to not check your mags. But no harm will come to the springs.

  15. #15
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler67 View Post
    I keep my SD/HD mags loaded all the time and have had no ill effects as stated above. They'll be fine.
    +1...what he said.

  16. #16
    funkypunk97's Avatar
    funkypunk97 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    As usual you guys are all on the ball......

    I was just going to come here and ask this question. I've been leaving one mag full (out of the gun) and one empty (in the gun) and rotating them each time I shoot.

    So I wanted to see if leaving it full was bad.... I had a hunch it wasn't since how would anyone keep a gun stored and ready?

    But it is good to get confirmation from the pros......

  17. #17
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by funkypunk97 View Post
    I was just going to come here and ask this question. I've been leaving one mag full (out of the gun) and one empty (in the gun) and rotating them each time I shoot.

    So I wanted to see if leaving it full was bad.... I had a hunch it wasn't since how would anyone keep a gun stored and ready?

    An empty gun doesn't do you any good. Not to get too far off topic, but if you are leaving it empty for safety concerns for others in your home (kids or something), perhaps a discussion about that would be warranted, not directed at you, but for all the newer forum members. Sure it's been talked about before, but there are a whole lotta posts to sift thru.

    Zhur

  18. #18
    funkypunk97's Avatar
    funkypunk97 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    An empty gun doesn't do you any good. Not to get too far off topic, but if you are leaving it empty for safety concerns for others in your home (kids or something), perhaps a discussion about that would be warranted, not directed at you, but for all the newer forum members. Sure it's been talked about before, but there are a whole lotta posts to sift thru.

    Zhur
    Well maybe it is in part for safety.......or part peace of mind....

    I have the full mag stored in the box right next to the gun..... so technically if I needed it on short notice I could open the case and drop the empty/insert full very quickly....

  19. #19
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    An empty gun doesn't do you any good. Not to get too far off topic, but if you are leaving it empty for safety concerns for others in your home (kids or something), perhaps a discussion about that would be warranted, not directed at you, but for all the newer forum members. Sure it's been talked about before, but there are a whole lotta posts to sift thru.

    Zhur


    Quote Originally Posted by funkypunk97
    Well maybe it is in part for safety.......or part peace of mind....

    I have the full mag stored in the box right next to the gun..... so technically if I needed it on short notice I could open the case and drop the empty/insert full very quickly....
    When under stress, that is not always the easiest thing to do (assuming you have the time to do so).

    -Jeff-

  20. #20
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by funkypunk97 View Post
    Well maybe it is in part for safety.......or part peace of mind....
    Everybody should take certain steps for safety and peace of mind. For me it's having my handguns secure in a safe, loaded and ready for use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how long can you leave a magazine loaded

,

leaving rounds in a magazine

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1